1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 Volume?????

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by namastebuzz, Jan 13, 2005.

1. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    MY HD3 is fine for playing through speakers but as a walkman - totally useless. It doesn't go nearly as loud as it should for noisy environments. It's far quieter than my MD walkman or my dad's CD walkman (both Sony). If you turn the AVLS on it's almost inaudible - and my hearing is ok.

Is there any way to boost the volume?? I don't want to spend loads on Shure earphones and they won't cure the output problem anyway.

My other option is to return it to Richer sounds. They still do the HD1 for a reduced price - does that go any louder?

I'm annoyed at Sony for releasing (in my opinion) a useless product.

2. Roger Matthews

Roger Matthews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mine seems perfectly OK for normal use (walking the dog, sitting on the train and so on). Is your HD3 defective perhaps?

3. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for your input Roger, it is possible.

Anyway....

Went into "sound" off the menu and "custom eq" then boosted the equaliser up to maximum for all frequencies. This raised the volume of the unit considerably and makes it acceptable. Max volume is listenable to whereas on my MD walkman you'd never use max volume. Maybe that's a good thing? Gonna experiment with better earphones too.

Should I really have to do this on a £250 piece of kit (well, £220)?

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    No, you don't have to do that with a £250 piece of kit. iAudio, iRiver, Apple, Creative (not Zen Micro/Muvos) are all considerably less gutless, either as is or with a small patch.

With a £250 Sony piece of kit, yes you have to if the volume is not high enough. Consider an efficient "canal-phone" like the Shure E2c / E3c or a pair of efficient isolating headphones like the Sennheiser HD25-1. However, whether you want to drop another <>£100 on headphones to ostensively correct a problem with the HD3 (although these phones will also give you better sound than the stock earphones) is another matter...

5. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah, you're right. Stuff should work better out the box.

I might try the Sony MDR-EX71SL coz they get reasonable write-ups and have a convenient short lead to work with your remote plus an extension lead too. At £30 they're half the price of the Shures although probably not as good?

6. T-Bone

T-Bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have a NWHD-1 and I have the exact same problem! I thought that Sony would have corrected the problem with the HD-3 but evidently not. They probably compromised volume levels to increase battery life, so it looked much better on paper than the iPod.

7. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    T-Bone, can you boost your volume level the same way - with the custom eq in the sound settings? Give it a try.

I still think the HD1 is a much nicer unit than the HD3. Better built, being totally magnesium whilst the HD3 is a bit bigger, heavier and cheaper looking with an aluminium casing wrapped around 2 plastic ends.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    if you have issues with the volumes..take it up with the EU. the only way round it is to import the player from the US/japan.

End of the day it is your hearing they are trying to protect.

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's not actually solely about hearing, and it's a problem because most manufacturers supply efficient earphones with the players. The EU directive states that the players can't go beyond 100db with the supplied earphones.

The operative words are 'efficient earphones being supplied' and '100db limit with supplied earphones'. By inflexibly following the directive, the Sony players are too gutless to drive the phones I really want to use at sensible volumes. Say I wanted a comfy inoffensive sounding circumaural phone like the Beyerdynamic DT250-80. With the HD1/3, it's out of the question because the 250's require too much power. In fact even the hyper-efficient (for a full size phone) Sennheiser HD25-1 is already starting to struggle a little with the HD3, although it still delivers decent dynamics. With many other players you just don't get these issues.

Fortunately I have an earphone even more hyper-efficient than the HD25-1 (the Shure E5) and with that I very rarely have to go beyond a quarter volume on the HD3, if even that much. The E3c's also don't have to be cranked up, neither do my ER-6i but the efficient canal-phones are about all that I'm fully happy with on the HD3. With the iPod, iAudio, iRiver, whatever... I can use pretty much any phone in my whole inventory that's anywhere near portable.

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I only use e5's on my vaio pocket ;)

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Which makes your comments all the more confusing :confused:

12. jjshoeshine

jjshoeshine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHAT is the easiest way to buy a US model in the UK. are they comparable prices and will I lose any thing on the UK version or just gain a bigger amp and volume levels? This is about hdd nw3 by the way

13. T-Bone

T-Bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I will give it a go mate, cheers.
    Only other problem is the Atrac3 format, but sony are offering an update, shame you have to pay £15 but its worth it to remove all the hassle of file conversions.
    Any had it done yet?

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    Well rather than turning the volume up and damaging your ears, why not get better earphones. There are some called Turbo Sound, which act like ear plugs and block all outside noise. I can't remember the website, but you can get them from music shops for about £20.

15. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah thanks MJN I'm gonna try the Sony MDR-EX71SL and if they don't come up to scratch I'll try the Shure E2c or even the E3c if I can stretch to them.

16. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Guys,

Running my HD1 on Sennheiser MX500 (in ears) and loving it. :devil:

I have to say that the volume level on mine is absolutely fine, I normally listen at less than 50% of volume even when outside.

Ian.

17. djskum

djskum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, need to dispel some myths here. There "is" an SP level limiter built into the HD3 [fact]. Alot of MP3,MD, etc units have them set now. They can be overridden but you have to know where to look. I went into my local Sony shop to ask about the new MD5. My sister has an MD3 and I mentioned the pathetic sound level (I use the tube alot and like loud music, sue me...). He pulled out a photocopied sheet from under the counter and told me to follow the instructions in order to override these settings.

I'm not going to try and replicate what he gave me here (it's like a megadrive cheat, right, right, left, right etc) as I don't want you to mess your players up. However it is a known issue, go into your local Sony store and ask them about it.

DjSKum

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    The volume fix is on this forum or just google for "HD3 volume fix"
    Scrap that; here's the link:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051

And in reply 2 post above, if you follow instructions, and only touch the soundpressure menu, you WON'T mess up ur HD3. There is NO NEED to go to ur Sony Store. U can do it @ home. Taking soundpressure off (aka EU volume limit) won't affect warranty. But if u mess with other menus....

19. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iv been moanin and groanin about the HD3 output since i bought it last week.. just look at all my previous posts,lol.

its rediculous that sony put so much tech into the battery life etc then completely undo all their good work by botchin the volume levels on AUDIO EQUIPMENT!!

its like buyin a high end tv to find the manufacturers have spent all their time boostin the spec then have deliberatley sabotaged the viewin screen! i mean what the fudge!!

i can garauntee if a manufacturer treated the buyin public in an adult manner they deserve as a matter of course and made a digi player that was an audiophiles wet dream and batterylife etc was a very poor second in priority.. that unit would fly off the shelves and prolly have waitin lists!

EU directives are easy to bypass...... but nothin rewards the purchaser of audio equipment more than findin an audio source that delights the senses... thats what it is all about.. if i wanna worry about battery life etc and other number crunchin id become an accountant or buy an abacus.... THIS IS A MP3 PLAYER ***..... I WANT NOISE.. BLISSFUL NOISE!!

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Could I just make it clear: Sony & every other company don't put a volume limit on to ___ customers off or 'cos of laziness

It is EU law that says portable audio can't go above 100db. If u buy a HD3 from anywhere outside EU, there is no EU volume limit :)

Typical. When its not a companys fault sumthing is wrong with their product, they still get the blame.....