1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 & Software

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Justin Fisher, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Justin Fisher

Justin Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not owned an MP3 player before and am thinking about getting the SONY NW-HD3. My main interest is putting my CDs onto a player rather than downloading MP3s.

Looking at the reviews, there seems to be a lot of criticism of the Sonicstage software that comes with this player. That being so, does anyone know if you can use other software, like iTunes, to load MP3 versions of my CDs onto the NW-HD3?

2. Diyolddog

Diyolddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Sonic's OK It easily rips the CD obtains the track names in no time at all the only problem is that it wants to put them on your MP3 as ATRACS.
    ATRACS sound OK to me, but not much good if you want to swap MP3s. But Sonic can cope with importing MP3s and putting them on your player as MP3s.
    But it is quick and does the job - AND Sonic is the ONLY way to get your tracks onto the player.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sonic stage isnt THAT bad, i havent had any major problems just minor irritations. and yeh sonic stage is the only way to get music onto the hd3.

personaly though i dont use ss for ripping, i use cdex then transfer the mp3s.

4. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't do it Justin.

I've had my NW-HD3 for a week now and it's disastrous.

I bought it to use with our "family" collection of CDs, ripped into wma over the last 3 years by my husband. He has a Zen Touch which plays them all and can be used with Windows Media Player - so no extra software needed. Get one of them instead - it's cheaper too. If you want just MP3 then get an IPOD.

First SonicStage 2.3 crashed my machine (win98SE) and could not be started up at all - Sony support have been useless. So I "found" v3.0 on the US site and downloaded. It works......I just cannot reboot if the NW-HD3 is connected to the usb. :nono:

Then I imported the colection of music - about 300CDs worth from my husband's networked machine. I have the licences and can play all the stuff in WMP. It imported into SonicStage and I could play it on the PC. But it won't transfer them to the player because they are "encrypted and DRM protected" - something that older versions of WMP did without telling you (and, I think, without a choice). These files cannot be converted to MP3 so I have to re-rip them all again if I want them. Great. Sony are the self-appointed global music police. :mad:

But Sonicstage will not rip into anything but ATRAC format - useless on any other players. So I don't want to do that. I also do not have space for 20GB of music in more than one format.....never mind the patience to do it all again. So I have to buy an MP3 ripper - install and use that and then transfer files to SonicStage. It gets silly.

I have read that some music bought on the Net will also not be allowed onto the Sony player because of copyright. what the fudge? ALso, dragged-and-dropped files will not play on the player.

I've had it - the machine is just NOT sexy enough to justify all that. Why can Sony not make their machines do what everyone else's do?

Anyone wanna buy a discounted, 7day-old NW-HD3?

5. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because everyone else does? ;)

I have had my HD3 for 3 months and am extremely happy with it.
    I've mentioned innumerous other threads about my frustrations with file duplication when making playlists, but this is really my only issue with the machine, and the software.

What I'm looking forward to (without any evidence/rumours that it will happen) is for Sony to put out a firmware upgrade to allow greater flexibility than simply bookmarking tracks on the fly - rather something along the lines of what the ATRAC CD and minidisc players do (and other DAP do): make lists of most-played tracks, cue up tracks, etc.

Maybe this will happen - if it does it'll make a great player greater.

Sonic Stage is a more than adequate piece of software and does what it does well. Just learn the capabilities of the software and how to do it. If you ask me, the problem lies not with the software itself but with the documentation (or maybe my lack of initially reading it!). I have never had a crashing problem and the latest version (3.0) seems very smooth indeed.

I really like the ATRAC 3+ format, though whether it'll make any impact beyond Sony gear, I don't know. I suppose it is a VHS vs BETAMAX thing - superior technology outdone by more widespread inferior competitor.

I'd recommend the HD3, though I'm intrigued by the flash players Sony are releasing. I am a little paranoid about crashing my hard disk by taking my HD3 (a problem with all hard disk players, not just the HD3) out running with me. And they will use ATRAC so you'll get more tracks than you would in mp3 format.

6. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I spoke to Sony at length this morning and everything that I gathered it did (or didn't) seems to be correct.......

They won't support SonicStage v3.0 for European owners at all. The "not playing" files thing seems to be all about SonicStage converting everything into ATRAC - protected files cannot be converted at all. If it did actuallyplay wma files then I wouldn't have a problem - but it doesn't play them, it converts them. If I don't want to rip CDs into ATRAC then I have to use some other bit of software and then import into SonicStage. Think I'd rather just use WMP for eveything........

On the upside my retailer just told me that I had 7 working days to decide and, if not happy, I can get a refund. Guess what - it's gone back!

I'm not an audio geek and I don't want to learn - just play tunes. No wonder IPOD is cleaning up.

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Do your self a favour get an i-pod instead.

8. djarend

djarend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a shame you're not happy with your player, I am. And, i-pod is not an mp3 player, it plays aac and also has to convert your mp3's. I used to have an i-pod but wasn't happy at al with the battery life, with the sony i am. Personally for me it's no problem to rip my cd's again, i think it's a nice job and i don't want all songs of every cd i own (but that's because i own 3500 cd's, which is way too much of course)

9. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd already ruled out an IPOD since I am running WIN98SE and want to use our current library of wma tunes.

I'm getting a Zen Touch - I know it does what I want and it loads right from WMP, so no extra software to bother with.

It's a shame - the Sony is physically a very nice bit of kit (the nicest) but what should I have expected from the people who sell a laptop for travelling that only plays one region's DVDs! They just don't get it.

10. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats really dumb (the laptop thing) sony have made a lot of mistakes with the hd3 but imho its still better than the ipod. it sounds btter (to me) looks better and works fine once you get used to some of its quicks, like sonic stage. iv had mine for a couple of months and not had any issues with it at all, nothing.

11. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    If you are not getting an i-pod due to your pc software then I think far better than Sony and the Creative players are the i-river ones.
    Another thread here shows comparison between the effect of sound compression on all of the different methods and the lowest rating was for atrac which is used by sony. I would defo advise against this, but only you can judge. Listen to them all and go by what to you sounds the best.
    Dont go by battery life, by the software or even how it looks as the most important thing is do I like the sound.

12. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I don't think the average user is going to notice the sound difference between any of the players on the market.

When you buy an mp3 player, of course you should take into consideration battery life, software, looks and ease of use. How annoyed would you be if you had a player which plays mp3s at an astounding quality, but had a 5 hour battery life, looked like a brick and had the most appalling software imaginable?!

As they say, don't believe everything you read! I disagree with the results of the audio test mentioned, as do many others I have spoken to!

Back on topic, Justin I suggest you go to an electronics shop and feel all the various players in your hand. Because it is very difficult to get a real idea of size and weight just from looking at pictures. SonicStage really isn't that bad, in fact it has many useful features which other programs (such as iTunes) lack. Good luck!

13. Justin Fisher

Justin Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks everyone for your advice. This is the first time I've used AV Forum and it's great. Am going to try a few players before deciding, though I see on Sony's website that SonicStage 3.0 will be shipped with all new players from April 2005 - see: http://products.sony.co.uk/sonicstage3_0.asp

So it might be worth waiting a month or so...

14. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes... as well as sony has upgraded hd1 to play native mp3, they could consider making some changes in the software so you can create playlists on the go, queueing songs,...

15. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wonder if the upgrade of the hd1 was an own decision of sony or just an answer to customers´request. if we have the chance to make them consider the option of adding some functions to HD3 we should try to push them...

in my own opinion, the option of creating playlists on the go and qeueing songs is one of those little steps to perfection (not considering poor sonicstage)

16. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Talking of features .... Maybe they [Sony] could think about having a line in added to the next NW and maybe an fm radio feature.