1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW HD3 - Settings Problems

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by fabrice1973, Apr 17, 2005.

1. fabrice1973

fabrice1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I bought a HD3 just a week ago as my IPOD was [swear word removed by mod] since falling down from 25 cms and unable to check what was going wrong as whenever I wanted to connect it to my PC it crashed XP and then can't turn it off.

Still, the major problem was the sound issue fixed now (thanks to dotcom and to this board).

There is nothing on the limited sony manual... and until now I'm not 100% satisfied by it...

so here are my questions :

1. I dunno how to save my settings as whenever I turn off the battery of my HD3, the changed settings are never recorded. (They are sometimes but dunno how I did it).

a) Sonicstage : If u add 2 times the same files (in different groups or not), can't that programm unable the uploading of duplicates to the HD3 ?

b) Isn't there an unofficial programm that could replace Sonicstage ?

2. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answers : sell the HD3. It's pants. I just sold mine to get a 6 GB iPod.

3. fabrice1973

fabrice1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't satisfied by my IPOD so I won't buy one ever again.
    The sound and the look were great !
    What about the rest... it was large for 15GB compared to NWHD3.
    It looked 6 months used once it was 2 hours in my pocket on the day I bought it.
    I won't even mention that damn battery

4. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LMFAO what a downgrade!

what a [swear word removed by mod] stupid reply, u cant just say the hd3 is pants and give no reason. Ive had mine for a few weeks now and im happy as can be with it. Some things you have to compromise, i.e. sonicstage but other than that the ipod is years in technological advances behind. What a battery! its pathetic, yet Sony manage to get LOADS longer battery life out of a SMALLER device, hmmm that makes sense :confused: lol and not mentioning the capacity of the hdd's inside each of them, again a smaller one holds more, lol. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages but for me and many other people on this forum the HD3 is the right choice.

Hmmm, not so sure about the duplicating thing youre saying, i have 60+ albums and many are compilations etc with the same song here and there and each is transfered individually, so i have 2 copies of a song, like on essential rnb there is say akon - locked up, and then again on akon's album its the 1st track, its copied over twice, each as individual tracks. Well this is the case with mine atleast as the amount of memory decreased as the file is duplicated.

kinda hope i helped :s confused with what ur asking

p.s. i also copied an album across twice and on sonicstage it grouped it with a different album by mistake but on the hd3 the album just had the files repeated twice

5. fabrice1973

fabrice1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Peteyoung...
    I'll explain back... the problem is this one...

Let's say I add Akon's album to my HD3
    But in the same time I also want to add all my mp3s tagged as Rap in a group to the HD3.

So the problem is that I have 2x the Akon Album in my HD3.

6. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ohhhh, hmmm thats a tricky one, well for me anyway because all i do is just group them by the album and dont use the genre settings, although if i do try to its all messed up because i havent altered any of it, hmmm sorry i hope someone can help with this ;)

7. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

yep you will get 2 identical tracks on the unit. one of the quirks of a good mp3 unit IMHO. best thing to do is just remove the Akom (or any other album) and transfer it as part of the Rap genre upload

there are those that slag off the NW-HD3 - i think purely because it hasn't got a picture of an apple on it, but to me the sound quality and battery life are more important than the interface and "image".

most of the people who own one of these are very happy with them.

hope this helps.

(1st post here :clap: )

8. fabrice1973

fabrice1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep Micaab... It's not the unit that I point but the tool to upload our music.
    It would be good they add a dupe file checker to sonicstage (will check if there's none though)

9. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dur. The 6 GB Mini is the 2nd generation mini with 18 hours battery life, although when you read the reviews, it lasts even longer.

The main reason I sold the HD3 was because of sound quality. Anyone who is pleased with the HD3 for sound quality has never owned an iPod (Has anyone seen my bass? Its dissapeared :thumbsdow)

Sorry Fabrice but you will hate the sound quality of the sony. Especially when you have to change bass and treble levels for every album.

10. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Surely this is all down to your personal preference about sound characteristics. The sony is oversensitive when trying to match headphones and doesn't give the best results if you pick the wrong ones, but get the right match and the sound quality is fine. Certainly there is no lack of bass in my setup and i've never once used any of the sound/EQ facilities on it.

I've seen so many forum topics slating both apple and sony and equally as many loving each unit too.

A colleague of mine (iPod owner) is switching to a Sony after listening. He felt his 4G Pod sound was nice and clear but a bit bland and is battery life was awful (his words not mine). But its just as easy to find people going the same Sony > iPod way as Vord.

Again, it's very much a personal thing. I'm not telling you to NOT get an iPod, just trying to put accross an alternative OPINION to Vord.

In answer to your original questions:
    The only alternative program to SonicStage is Sony Vaio Transfer software. This does allow drag and drop music transfer to the NW-HD3.

Not sure why your options settings revert when you trun the battery off, tried it on mine and it doesn't happen.

11. badboyross

badboyross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can i download this 'Sony Vaio Transfer software' from then?? Is it a lot better than SonicStage?
    Thanks

12. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I haven't tried it yet but these chaps on here have tried it - and the link is there too

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107734

let me know what you think.