1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 Questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Fanboy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Fanboy

Fanboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hullo

I am hoping someone can answer these questions for me. I bought a NW-HD3 at Christmas, and so far I have been v.happy with it. However, I now need to reinstall the OS on my computer, which obviously means reinstalling SonicStage as well.

1. Will reinstalling SonicStage cause problems using my NW-HD3? Will I have to initialize and format it again?
    2. Has anyone tried this VAIO drag and drop utility for the NW-HD3 that I keep hearing about on forums. SonicStage is a DOG of a program, no doubt about it, and I would prefer to keep my music library organised using Windows Media Player 10. It's a real pain having to keep both updated.

:)

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1)yep im afraid so, ss is rubbish, if you have registered your player with sony though, it may work ok, dont expect too much though im afraid.

2)from what i ahve heard the vio transfer isnt as good as we first thought, I agree ss is pish though, look like we are just gonna have to live with it.

3. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have no problem with my HD3 after reinstalling SS (must be the same version, otherwise u need to format ur HD3). One thing is I couldn't transfer my songs back to PC because I forgot to backup SS database.

4. Fanboy

Fanboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that to back up the SS database, that it backs up ALL your media files also. I have over 25gb of mp3s, i don't really want to have a second copy somewhere. Is there anyway of backing up the database but not the media files?

5. camelface

camelface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes....thats what we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a program that can create a sony database from a winamp playlist or a plugin for windows media that can handle this database technology...
    now where do i start?

6. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Fanboy,

One of the many reasons why SS is so bad is that Sonicstage's database is built in Microsoft Access, not a bad DB but not really a solution Sony should be using in a retail product. However this does have advantages for users with some database abilities.

The actual database is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages\ and called MtData.mdb. You may need to turn on "Show hidden files" in explorer.

I'd guess backing this up and replacing it after your reinstall would leave Sonicstage none the wiser.

:lesson: I must qualify this by saying i've never used this method to backup the Sonicstage database, never needed to, but i have used it to make Sonicstage do things it just can't do efficiently so i know this database holds Sonicstage's library.

Good luck

Magic