Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NW-HD3 - People with hissing...what have you done?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by VORD, Apr 14, 2005.

1. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, i got my Sony NW-HD3 today. I am very dissapointed. I get hissing on certain tracks. I have ripped these again and again from original cd's using iTunes to 160kbps, 192kbps all the way upto 300+kbps but still get it.

I want a later model with the issue resolved or a refund.

What have other fellow unlucky hissing customers done?

My comments on the NW-HD3

The Good...

Size
    Weight
    Software (no problems with sonic)
    Battery life
    Memory

The Bad...

Crap headphones supplied on purpose
    General design (you'd be buggered if you only had 1 arm)

The Ugly...

Hussing sounds of tracks
    Poor volume although I have used the mod now (my iPod Mini was louder and that was purchased in the UK)
    Poor bass (yeah I have changed my setting but still poor compared to iPod)

Does buying new headphones actually help the bass? Thanks.

P.S. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND ANYONE MOANING ABOUT SONIC STAGE AND ANTRAC FORMAT - WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO CONVERT TO IT?!?!? I WOULD RATHER HAVE 1000+ LESS SONGS AND HAVE BETTER SOUND QUALITY

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't know about hissing. Mine has certainly never suffered from it. But I suggest you either get a refund or get it exchanged ASAP.

YES GET NEW HEADPHONES! Either get Sennheiser PX100s or Sennheiser MX 550s, depends whether you want ear buds or headphones.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    Another very good option would be Sennheiser PX200s if you want the closed back option.

4. ljbpav

ljbpav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice to you is don't get a replacement (although it would probably solve the hissing problem), get a refund instead. Why you ask ? NW-HD5 !

It should be out in less than a month, and if you take a look at the specs (read other posts) it's even better than the NW-HD3.

5. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Or get a new i-pod. :D

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

God, you can't help yourself, can you! :lesson:

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    Yes, let's keep this on topic please gerbilly :)

8. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really bugging me. I only hear hissing when I have treble on but if i dont have treble on (in the plus's) it sounds ****.

9. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I think the advice to swap it for the HD5 is probably the best. On looks alone it is a far nicer looking device and more funky.
    Your complaint about the HD3 that the bass was very weak was something I also noticed when I listened to it and it did sound a bit under strain when the volume was put higher.

Of course not unless you want to swap it for the 20g I-pod. ;)

10. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    One thing me and McFarfs agree on get the Sennheiser PX100 earphones they are the best earphones up to about the 40 quid mark. I believe in some places you can get them for 20 quid now!

11. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have contacted sony and they say they are unaware of a hissing fault. However, they say they will take it in for inspection which means weeks without it only for it to be sent back without a repair.

I think this may be a job for ebay unfortunately. Gonna sell at quite a loss though.

12. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why put up with that from Sony? It shouldn't hiss and it shouldn't have to be sent away. Get a refund or replacement. Mine has no hiss whatsoever and the bass is fine, with better headphones.
    Seen so many on here reporting sound problems. Does the computer used to record and transfer have any effect?
    Was about to order some Senheisser PX100's but have read on amazon that they leak sound a lot. As I listen a lot on the train I'm now confused what to get. Sony's current phones don't seem up to much and don't want a neck band.

13. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried different headphones and my computer is fine....all the songs on my sony were on my iPod and played fine. Big thumbs down to Sony.

Big thumbs up to Amazon though.....They are giving me a refund! May get the HD5 but will wait for reviews, or may get the 6 GB Ipod Mini (depending on whether the battery actually lasts 18 hours ish.

14. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

It is true that the PX100s leak sound a lot! This is because they are open-backed. If this concerns you, then I suggest you get the PX200s. They are closed-backed so don't leak sound nearly as much as the 100s.

15. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has anyone here had a 'hissing' HD3, returned it to get another unit, and found that the new one to be any different/better?

16. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest - SOME of my tracks hissed - not all. This may have been a problem with my music or computer BUT the same tracks played fine on my iPod Mini so Im guessing it's just a substandard product.

My main problems were:

-Hissing
    - No bass
    - Each song meant changing the bass/treble (never had to do this with my
    iPod Mini and it sounded great.

17. eganw

eganw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the HD3 and have the same problem. I was very dissapointed as alot of the music I listen to is New Age, so plenty of quite moments. Tried lots of different headphones but the hiss was always there. And then I decided to buy the Etymotics ER6I. And WOW !!! No Hiss whatsoever and the sound quality is awesome especially for tracks recorded in the proprietary ATRAC format. I also have an IPOD but I have to admit that the combination of the Sony with the Headphones beats anything the IPOD can offer. Man am I now a happy camper !!!!! Highly recommended !!

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,429
    Honestly, I only have 5-8 songs out of 50 albums that have hiss. Changing 'phones don't affect it: canal 'phones, senn MX500, big Philips DJ ones. Impedance don't matter too, 16ohms, 32ohms. Contarary 2 Amazon.co.uk review...I can live with it though. Since its so limited. Although unless Sony sought it out (and SS) I won't get another Sony DAP.

19. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LFC, have you tried re-ripping the songs in question?

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,429
    Alas, I have tried several Atrac settings. No change. Must be the songs. Not trying MP3, as I want gapless play and those HD3 EQ settings that only work for Atrac files, not MP3. Although, a couple of songs that had hiss has lost the hiss. Only change is I set CD smoothing on in CD importing settings. Hmmmm