NW-HD3 NW-HD5 NW-HD5H EU model volume? SOLVED !!!!!

DotNet

Novice Member
Reaction score
Bingo :clap:
I've decided to open a new thread just because the low volume level of the EU models is the only issue that may prevent someone from buying this terrific piece of hardware. I've struggled with it, but finally (with a help of Sony related people) found a solution.
There are many things in NW-HD3 you can adjust via a service menu. To enter it
follow the instructions from testmode.jpg.
When you are in, follow soundpressure.jpg to set "Sound Pressure Regulation" to OFF.
You are done!

Disclaimer. I take no responsibility for any consequences caused by this. Using service menu is inherently dangerous, difficulties during the process could cause the device to stop functioning and irreparably damage the product. If you do damage the product in this way, your supplier will charge for repair.

Here are the specific instructions for the HD5 (as posted later in this thread)

Start the player. Start playing a song. Turn the HOLD function on by sliding the swich at the top. Then, Hold the SEARCH/MENU button and enter the button sequence:
Right, Right, Left, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Up, Down.
Let go of the buttons, and put the HOLD switch back to its original position.
The backlight will cut out and you'll be in the service menu with "POWER" displayed.
Press DOWN a few times to select OTHERS and press Right to get into the menu.
Keep pressing down until you get to SP SET (Sound Pressure Setting).
Press Play/Pause to get into change the option. Then press SEARCH/MENU to
toggle the option on or Off (obviously, Off is for louder sounds).
Then either hold STOP or remove the battery to get the player out of the
service mode. For some reason, you'll have to go back into the player's options to manually turn the backlight on again after doing this.
(Note that the attachments below apply to the original HD3 instructions.)

[mod comment - instructions for HD5 copied here by JohnG]

Attachments

• testmode2.jpg
    testmode2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 7,581
  • soundpressure.jpg
    soundpressure.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6,523
Hi

Followed instructions for my HD3.

Initially got into a menu where you only get choice of "CHG", "A WR", "A RD" and "V CHK" ,

Tried again and got into the menu as described. Followed instructions and.....

it goes much louder!

Great help, many thanks for the info. :clap:

as previous reply, followed instructions into set up mode, had to find my way around a little blindly, but after the switch, it definately works!

:clap:

worked for me as well :clap: - but beware that when i did it, it set backlight to "off" and for a few seconds i thought i had screwed it up, but i just turned it back to auto in the menu :laugh:

I'd be really interested to know if there is a similar solution for the HD1. I'm not sure if the controls are identical.

Axemeister said:
I'd be really interested to know if there is a similar solution for the HD1. I'm not sure if the controls are identical.
Since the solution is menu based, you can't really go wrong... It either works or not. If you manage to enter the service menu and find an option "Sound Pressure Regulation", it should just work.

that is great,when i get my hd1 back from the mp3-upgrade i have to try this,cool

The reason I asked about the HD1 is because the instructions for adjusting the sound pressure show a single horizontal arrow key, whereas mine are double arrow keys. Presumably that's what you use - there aren't any others!
The instructions also talk about applying power to the unit. I don't suppose this means it has to be plugged into the charger.
I'm thinking about getting the Mp3 upgrade, so it would probably be best to wait until after that before attempting the mod.
Thanks

How does this affect the battery life of the player?
SO far I have found at max levels vilume is fine only issue is ripping from CD's that have different volume levels

:thumbsup: IT WORKED!!! :clap:

I too loved the style of the HD3 but wished I could up the volume a bit. Thanks heaps for your tip! :smashin: Now the HD3 is the best!

My backlight went off too. Once player was back on, I just went into the normal menu and turned it back on.

I noticed a menu in the admin section called 'clock'... any idea what this is for? I presume there must be a clock feature built in. Anyone had a play?

Why don't they enable all these features from the onset. Anyone found any more reference material out there on these types of functions?

Yeah, my backlight did the same thing too.

I noticed heaps of interesting looking features that one might tinker with.

I guess Sony don't let us access them coz idiots like me would ..... well.... tinker with them and mess everything up.

I finally screwed up the courage and gave it a go with my HD1, and guess what - it works, and is appreciably louder. Don't know what the Sony people will say when I send it back for its mp3 upgrade - I wonder if I get the same one back!

:thumbsup: Fookin Magic!!! :clap:

This has worked an absolute treat. I thought i was in for a life of substandard volume but thanks to this fix i can finally get my HD3 up to a suitable volume. A must for any HD3 owner. No problams when fixing but I would recomend not to get too button happy while doing this though.
:lesson:

Thanks, it really does work!

Was reading this thread when the backlight went off on my HD1 and what you have to do to just clear things up is go into the menu thay you're meant to be able to access, not the secret menu and go onto backlight and turn it on

Thanks works on a HD1 ! My ears hurt it's so seriously loud now

I bet the native MP3 settings are in here somewhere as well.

must be really thick but it don't work for me! holding down menu and have the hold on following the instructions too The letter but no luck :-(

I bet your not switching the HOLD off after the key depressions :thumbsup:

sorry mode button? have tryed holdin down the mode button doing the depressions then taking off hold whilst hold mode and relising it!!! :confused:

cracked it and just gone deaf!!!!!!!! Fookin ace well done that man! and thanks to Ekko Star i was just being a bit thick!!! :)

Nice one man ! Yes it's too bloomin loud now. If you''ve got fairly decent headphones it's plenty loud as it is I reckon. Either way they're ace machines :)

Slide the hold switch on, hold down the mode button and depress the instructed sequence of buttons on the navigation controller. Release the mode button and then slide the hold switch off.

The screen will be dark and you will be in the service menu.

Navigate to Others, scroll through to SP and toggle ON as per instructions.

Exit by pressing the menu button and holding it down, the player will restart itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom