NW-HD3 Fails to boot up

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by PuzZah, Jul 30, 2005.

1. PuzZah

PuzZah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My NW-HD3 recently got knocked off of a desk about 3/4 meter high, while turned off and since then, whenever I've tried to turn it on it gets to the:

W.
    Walkman

Screen and sits on that screen for a while whilst beeping for a short period at which point it turns off again. I have no idea how to resolve this and if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Any help much appreciated.

Oh and also, if anyone could point me in the direction of firmware updates for my model as i can only seem to find HD5 updates on the sony website. I think i have the problem which was on the original HD3s whereby it gets confused about which track its trying to play and also cant read songs quite often and I heard there was an update which had to be done.

Regards,
    Ben

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,446
    try sliding built in batt switch off then on again. If that don't work, sounds like somethings disconnected or broke. Don't open it up yourself. That will void the warranty

Send it in to Sony. Say it was alright one day. Then the next day it just became like that. Do not say you dropped it ;)

Beware though that Sony may charge you £75 for any fix not under the warranty. Thats the standard charge I'm afraid.

3. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You could also check your serial number against those listed on this site here and if you're lucky, you might be able to say it's just one of the affected units and increase the chance of a free repair.

No promises though, but worth checking in case your serial number matches.

4. PuzZah

PuzZah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD3 does appear inside that first range of serial numbers yes.

I will ring sony on monday as they're closed for the weekend.

Thanks,
    Ben

5. willlodge

willlodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's just gone belly up as well, (cause - dropped 10 cm onto my desk)
    Have just sent it off to Sony for a repair.
    When i described the fault they new straight away that it was part of the recall and advised that the repair would be free of charge. Good customer service, very easy and best of all a freepost address to send it to.

Richard