1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 defect after drop - no G-Protection

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Qs'Tree, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Qs'Tree

Qs'Tree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new NW-HD3 three weeks ago and except of SS the player is really great. Yesterday my player droped by 70cm on a soft carpet (no flagstones or paving). After that the DAP was still playing but after pressing the skip button the player freezes. After a restart only the title logo was shown on the display and no function was given anymore. Also I can't connect the unit with my PC.

I guess that the hdd crashed. So forget Sonys promise about the G-Protection Technology :thumbsdow

Anyone with similarly problems? Anyone with a solution?
    I'll try and go for a replacement ...

sorry for my bad English

greetz
    Qs'Tree

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    G-Protection is not about dropping your player onto the floor. I think most people will readily accept you are likely to break your precious HDD device by doing that.

G-Protection, is more like if you have the HDD in your pocket whilst jogging or running. The HDD works off a buffer principle, so any violent jolts or shocks and the music doesn't skip whilst listening to it. The player is playing music which the read head has read into buffer memory about 30 sec prior to what you actually hear ensuring skip free listening.

Don't go telling Sony that you dropped it as that probably is outside guarantee. :rolleyes:

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Actually no, it is effectively claimed as drop-resistant. G-Sense, not G-Protection is the claimed technology on the NW-HD3 which detects zero-G during a drop and automatically parks the head. Sony's standard test which they claim players must survive to pass is a 1m drop. I've dropped a sample NW-HD3 about that distance and it broke. Hi-MD's dropped in a similar manner partially died as well.

Sony is the only one who claims to have this, but I believe it is (or starting to be) built into many of the drives to be used by other manufacturers. But they're not stupid enough to claim any sort of drop protection technology as it would open them up to claims that customers thought the player was drop-proof.

No HDD player is drop proof yet. If you drop it, it will be most likely to break. Therefore, don't drop it. Anyway, given your problem the solution is obviously a warranty repair. If it was dropped onto carpet, then it'll have no exterior damage.

4. Qs'Tree

Qs'Tree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, on the German webside of Sony you find the following statement:
    "The outstanding G-Sensor Shock Protection guard the internal hard disc drive by collision till 1m heights"
    So I would say that this is a clear warranty repair (no exterior damage is visible).
    I'll see ...
    BTW I received my player without any kind of display protection foil. Is this normal?
    So far every other player which I've bought cames with an adhesive foil on the display.

5. JoeY2k

JoeY2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the computerbild (german pc mag) they did a mp3 player comparison which included a drop from about 1m. as far as i did read the sony and apple both didnt survive whereas the iriver h320 did.. kinda strange since this "feature" gets advertised by sony.
    such "tests" arent quite intelligent though as it depends how the player hits the ground blabla

6. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD3 came without screen protector!