NW-HD3 Battery Life

Akasan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had my HD3 for almost a week now, i like it but I think I may return it and get a 40gb zen touch. I am not getting anywhere near 30 hours. Most of my files are at 132kb atrac with only a few 128kb mp3s which for some reason won't convert to atrac. From a full charge it takes about 6-8 hours for the battery indicator to go to the last bar. I haven't let it drain completely yet. How much battery life are other hd3 owners averaging? I know the 30 hours battery life refers to atrac at 48kbs but I figure I should at least be getting 20+ hours.

You should get more than that!

How many times have you charged it? I think you are sposed to give it a big charge when you first get it, then let it run down fully and charge it up again 2 or 3 times until the battery reaches its full capacity.

Bare in mind that things like using the backlight a lot will drain quickly, as well constantly changing tracks. This is because it has to keep spinning the hard drive again, which, understandably, uses up a lot of power!

I have never timed the battery life on my player. But a couple of days ago I lent it to my brother and he used it at work all afternoon, then he forgot to turn it off when he came home so left it running all night. I then took it to work the following day, and the battery lasted until about 3.30pm. This included a lot of changing the track as well.

Hope this helps, Chris.

You would have to have all your tracks at 48kps and play them continuously without stopping and restarting, scrolling menus or skipping to get anywhere near 30 hours!

I use mine every day at work and whilst travelling to and from the office - probably about 6 hours a day on average. Most of my tracks are either 256KPS ATRAC3PLUS or MP3's at around 160+kps and I get around 3 days use out of a charge at best.

Bear in mind that in the first week or so you are likely to be scrolling menus and generally fiddling around a lot too and this uses up extra battery power.

I think it takes a few charges and full discharges to get to full power as well.

Also make sure the USB cable is attached to the charger otherwise it just does a quick charge of 80% I think.

After listening to your player do you turn the power off from the built in battery? this could beOne of the reasons why you are not getting extended battery life, I used to have the same problem but now it seems to be better.

playing higher quality atracs and playing mp3s, you should still get around the 20 hour mark no problem.

TommoK said:
Also make sure the USB cable is attached to the charger otherwise it just does a quick charge of 80% I think.

Where did you hear that? The only difference i knew of was that a full USB charge took longer than a full mains charge. Unless u mean plug in both USB and Mains cables, but i don't see how this would make any difference.
Anyone else got any info?

MancUnion, i'm not sure from your post wheter u mean switch the built in battery switch 'on' or 'off'? :confused:
I thought you were only meant to really use that if your HD3 was gonna be off for quite some time, say for atleast a week, if not a month?

You may be right. But since i have started turning the built in battery off after usage i have noticed that my battery is lasting much longer. Who knows? then again It could be due to the warmer weather we are currently experiencing ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom