1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 Battery Life

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Akasan, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HD3 for almost a week now, i like it but I think I may return it and get a 40gb zen touch. I am not getting anywhere near 30 hours. Most of my files are at 132kb atrac with only a few 128kb mp3s which for some reason won't convert to atrac. From a full charge it takes about 6-8 hours for the battery indicator to go to the last bar. I haven't let it drain completely yet. How much battery life are other hd3 owners averaging? I know the 30 hours battery life refers to atrac at 48kbs but I figure I should at least be getting 20+ hours.

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You should get more than that!

How many times have you charged it? I think you are sposed to give it a big charge when you first get it, then let it run down fully and charge it up again 2 or 3 times until the battery reaches its full capacity.

Bare in mind that things like using the backlight a lot will drain quickly, as well constantly changing tracks. This is because it has to keep spinning the hard drive again, which, understandably, uses up a lot of power!

I have never timed the battery life on my player. But a couple of days ago I lent it to my brother and he used it at work all afternoon, then he forgot to turn it off when he came home so left it running all night. I then took it to work the following day, and the battery lasted until about 3.30pm. This included a lot of changing the track as well.

Hope this helps, Chris.

3. TommoK

TommoK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would have to have all your tracks at 48kps and play them continuously without stopping and restarting, scrolling menus or skipping to get anywhere near 30 hours!

I use mine every day at work and whilst travelling to and from the office - probably about 6 hours a day on average. Most of my tracks are either 256KPS ATRAC3PLUS or MP3's at around 160+kps and I get around 3 days use out of a charge at best.

Bear in mind that in the first week or so you are likely to be scrolling menus and generally fiddling around a lot too and this uses up extra battery power.

I think it takes a few charges and full discharges to get to full power as well.

Also make sure the USB cable is attached to the charger otherwise it just does a quick charge of 80% I think.

4. Manc_Union

Manc_Union

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After listening to your player do you turn the power off from the built in battery? this could beOne of the reasons why you are not getting extended battery life, I used to have the same problem but now it seems to be better.

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    playing higher quality atracs and playing mp3s, you should still get around the 20 hour mark no problem.

6. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you hear that? The only difference i knew of was that a full USB charge took longer than a full mains charge. Unless u mean plug in both USB and Mains cables, but i don't see how this would make any difference.
    Anyone else got any info?

MancUnion, i'm not sure from your post wheter u mean switch the built in battery switch 'on' or 'off'? :confused:
    I thought you were only meant to really use that if your HD3 was gonna be off for quite some time, say for atleast a week, if not a month?

7. Manc_Union

Manc_Union

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be right. But since i have started turning the built in battery off after usage i have noticed that my battery is lasting much longer. Who knows? then again It could be due to the warmer weather we are currently experiencing ;)