1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 and VBR

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Uncle Mike, May 5, 2005.

1. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm sure you must be sick of people asking the same questions over and over again, and I've honestly looked through pages and pages of this here forum trying to find the answers for myself. But I keep finding contradictory information.

So, here's the question: I've encoded my mp3s - using EAC and LAME - at a VBR rate averaging out to about 192kbps. Is the HD3 I'm thinking about buying going to play that?

I'd taken it for granted that it would, but I've seen a few posts here that suggest otherwise, and I can't find a decent review on the 'net that says for sure either way.

Also, all these tracks are going to be available to me providing I use SonicStage to transfer them, right? Because with the 30 or so gig I have ripped, if the player/software doesn't do it, there's no way I'm buying one.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

2. Scarylion

Scarylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VBR works just dandy for me

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Does it? I remember reading somewhere that VBR MP3s are not compatible with the HD3......

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    I don't have one of these, but the user manual on the Sony site says that it does support VBR MP3 files.

5. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I am only speaking from personal experience with my e99 here BUT ...

Sony may be refering to a problem with Converting VBR mp3s to ATRAC via Sonic Stage.

I have found a few files that I created using LAME VBR (new method q0 stereo) that played fine when directly loaded onto the e99 BUT when using SS to load the e99 (ie SS converts the mp3 to ATRAC, either 3 or 3+ at any rate), the resulting file would play at 1/4 speed, ie very very slowly.

I'm away from my desk at the moment, I will post a typical example of this problem later.

G

6. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Thanks for that. So if I'm intending to leave them as mp3, I'm going to be alright?

7. Scarylion

Scarylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah you will be fine :)

Unless you get attacked by a group of ninjas!

8. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn those ninjas.