1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 and Sonicstage *100th post!*

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Gowardo, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Gowardo

Gowardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I know this has been talked about and then talked about again, but since I do sincerely honestly and deeply hate this gorgeous piece of software which Sony has decided to give us, I was simply wondering whether anybody here knew of an alternative piece of software that I could use to transfer tracks to my device... of course I don't mind if it isnt Sony, as long as it gets the job done... I am crying myself to sleep everynight since I've had to deal with SS... please somebody help a poor man! :smashin:

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I must be missing something as I don't have ANY issues using SS (I would go as far as to say I actually quite like it!), what exaclty are the problems your having with SS?

3. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with uridium...if you are talking about renaming files then look for a program which tags files quickly, because if you mean that then I agree with you as ss is really slow for that, but for just importing and trasferring all you do is click a few things and be patient

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would even go further and say that I prefer SS over iTunes, Except for the long loading time and slow operation (its probably my computer). iTunes is irritating.

5. Gowardo

Gowardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill tell you what guys... I think the deal here is WHAT you need of SS. I mean... I have my own gorgeous little folders with my MP3 in them, I have my own little organization and I don't really wanna surf my MP3 by MP3 TAGs or Album or Artist Name or anything like that... I would love forever to just stick my Explorer folders inside my HD3 and just be able to navigate them as if I was on my computer... and also when it comes to my gadgets I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and honestly I really do not like changing my habits for a piece of software, it should be the other way around!

Shouldn't it? :confused:

Edited: Oh by the way, I also have loads of tunes from several artists, maybe one song for each artist and i'm talking like 500 songs.. How am i gonna make mr.ss recognize that and put it in a decently acceptable logical order? I just can't... Maybe im stupid! *but if thats the case I should just stick my Comp Science degree in the bin lol*

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I have about 500 albums stored on my PC as MP3's in a tidy folder structure (necessary for Wireless music streaming device that's even more picky than SS!)

folder structure is just Artist name/Album title.

You just need to make sure that the ID3 tags match how you want them to appear in SS and your sorted.

I always rip my CD's outside of SS using WMplayer or something into a "staging" folder, I then use a nice little Java tag editor called "Jtagger" (will change a folder of tags at a time) to change the tags so that they are recognised by SS as I want, then move them into the folder that I have set SS to import from.

As for odd single tracks these are a bit more awkward but I have just created another folder called "Singles" for these to keep them seperate from the other folders that are specific albums. The trick with these I've found is to change the ID3 "TITLE" name to "Artistname - Songtitle" so that you can identify the tracks easily on the HD3 screen and then update the Artist and Album tags to the same name for all. This stops SS creating a seperate folder for each track.

Some may argue against this method but it works perfectly for me.

7. Gowardo

Gowardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your advice mate, ill give it a go. the only thing is... i shouldnt have to go through hours of retagging and renaming before i can have a tidy "like-i-want-it" structure on my mp3 player.. that's what relaly annoyes me about SS... anyway thank you :)

g

8. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I used to like sonicstage when I used it with my HD3 and used it sucessfully to organise my music collection. Everytime I heard someone moaning about SS, I just thought they must be stupid :rolleyes:
    This all changed when I upgraded my OS and decided to install the newest version of SS, BIG MISTAKE! Couldn't even rip a CD and listen back to it because of copyrights and rubbish like that, what a nightmare! Tried uninstalling/reinstalling, everything!
    I have hardly used my HD3 from then on, which is annoying beacuse it is a really nice player.

I have been using the VAIO music transfer program(avaliable in the support sections of sony website) to put my music onto the HD3, although I lose some features of SS it allows me to orgainse my music exactly how I want to on my PC. If your annoyed with SS give it a go: Drag & Drop til your hearts content :clap:

9. junglebass

junglebass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MP3FILETRANSFER!!!!!!!!!!!!its been discussed 100times
    drag and drop folders from explorer to program window

10. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Surely though one of the main benefits of having a Sony player over other brands is Atrac3+ and MP3FILETRANSFER can't handle Atrac can it?

11. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Does the VAIO music transfer software support Atrac3+?

12. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    No, I don't think it does unfortunately. I used this format completely when sonicstage worked for me but know I dare not even try it again.
    MP3s will be transferred staright over (but will still be in .oma format) and other formats will be converted to ATRAC and then transferred.
    Have a look here for more info.
    I haven't used it in such along time, I can't remember if ATRAC3+ is an option or not :confused: !

13. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Sorry, just checked the options and it does support Atrac and Atrac3+ with a choice of bitrates, but only when you transfer non-mp3 files over!
    Surprised myself :thumbsup:

14. yhish

yhish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just got ss 3.3 and the bastard wont open, some crap about cant open the database. uninstalled and reinstalled many times and exactly the same thing keeps coming up when i try and start it. ive been using the vario transfer but i cant organise stuff into folders which is slightly irritating.
    anyone know how to fix this?
    thanks