1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nw-HD3 £199 at Argos - Any good??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by realslimcookie, Mar 23, 2005.

1. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,
    I noticed today that Argos are selling NW-HD3 (20gb) for £199. Is that a good price? Also is the unit any good? i have heard that SonicStage is not very good but do i have to use it? can i not not just drag mp3 files within Windows explorer to the unit with the USB cable. Final point, i would also like to link this through my amplifier to play through my speakers. If i use the mini jack what is the sound quality like??

Cheers.

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is a very good player, and I believe that is the best price around at the moment.

I expect other retailers will drop there price to match that.

If you do want to get the player, it is a good idea to get it from Argos because if it breaks or anything goes wrong with it within the years guarantee they are very good about exchanging it, or if they no longer stock it they will give you a refund.

Im just annoyed because I bought it about a week and a half ago from Argos, for £250! Oh well, I can always try returning it and buying it again...........

3. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to hear that you paid £50 extra. Any ideas about dragging mp3's onto the unit within Windows Explorer as i want to avoid Sonicstage at all costs. Have you tried linking the unit to an amplifier for quality of sound through a mini jack???

4. ljbpav

ljbpav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.pixmania.co.uk lists them for £190 (this is the lowest price I've seen yet - I got mine for 205 a few weeks ago).

You can either use SonicStage or the VAIO transfer utility. The latter works on a drag-and-drop basis although you drag your own music folders onto the program's window rather than to the Windows Explorer.
    When you drag files through the Explorer you are just copying data, i.e. using the player as a mass storage device. However in order to play music, the audio files have to be recoded which is the reason why you have to use SONY's SW to transfer music to and from the NW-HD3.

Dunno about the sound quality through an HIFI system. I do know that there is a setting in the player to change the jack output from "headphones" to "line-out", so don't forget to adjust it accordingly.

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeh I think it sounds very good through i hifi. If you play a cd, then play the same song through the hd3 you CAN tell that its compressed, but unless you are really comparing or if you are a total audiophile then it really doesn't matter. I often plug mine into my hifi and it sounds great. As ljbpav says, don't forget to switch it to line-out!

6. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have around 16gb of mp3's already created at 128kbps. If i was to purchase the NW-HD3 is it a simple process to link up the unit to my computer to transfer the mp3's or with it being Sony (sonicstage a fine example) is it a bit of an ****! I don't really want to start again as it has taken me alot of time and patience to get this far. Does the Sony transfer utility just handle the moving of the files simply or does it add its little bit to the files to make them a slightly modifed mp3?

7. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will transfer just fine, ss does change the extension of the files so you cant just drag them from the player to another computer without using ss.