1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD1 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Alan_W, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Has anyone got any info of the rumoured upgrade to enable the HD1 to handle MP3s. I have emailed Sony but can get no reply.

Ta

2. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    So far the upgrade for your HD1 may need to replace the asic chip i think, but the upgrade is available in Japan only so far.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I emailed Sony UK and they said there was no upgrade as far as they knew yet.

4. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That fix is Japan only, I'm afraid.. :(

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    vaio pocket gets its mp3 firmware update tomorrow :)

6. Justcos

Justcos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as of friday 17th there are still no plans for firmware update of HD1 player. have contacted prod. mngrs for audio - he has no knowledge of any uk update. so there will probably be one very shortly.......

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I have a technical question with Sony about my HD-1.

I have also asked them about the firmware upgrade (which should be out like now - coinciding with the HD-3 launch). All web references so far have seemed to indicate it's something users can do themselves (software flashable) but IF they get back to me tomorrow, I'll share the info.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    for the vaio pocket you dowload the file... copy it onto the drive then run the Firmware update menu option and it then updates..

I am now using mp3s on my pocket plus a host of other enhancements have been added.. top product..

Matt

9. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you live in the UK

CALL THIS NUMBER to get through to Customer Services and REGISTER YOUR INTEREST!!! The more people who say they want it, the more likely they are to release/perform firmware updates here!!!

10. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not wishing to put a "downer" on this subject but (and excuse my rant but it puts into perspective Sony's attitude)........

My technical issue with the HD1 is that SonicStage ran once and I converted & uploaded songs. Then it would NEVER do it again.

I tried 2.1,2.2 and 2.3 versions of SonicStage - to no avail.

I contacted the tech support in the USA - they were clueless and I had tried everything they suggested.

I contacted the UK tech support on Friday - they offerered the same level of help and nothing worked. I even tried a totally clean XP install, with only hardware drivers and anti virus & firewall running (I had eliminated these previously as possible issues).

Again it ran once and wouldn't run any further times after closing it down.

Sony have NO advice after this - or I SHOULD say, that because my PC isn't an off-the-shelf PC, they WON'T help any further. My retort of a £300 paperweight got NO response. I'm not impressed clearly.

OK - here's the part of the last email they sent me (which was yesterday) regarding the Firmware.

"At the time of writing that are no confirmed plans to upgrade the NW-HD1's firmware in order to allow it to play MP3 files.

We apologise for the disappointment this reply may cause."

I am seriously contemplating NEVER buying Sony products again!!!!

11. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, take it back then!
    I assume you downloaded all the updates and the fix update for XP? My SonicStage would crash at every attempt to encode until I did that.

I would suggest that you have one single piece of hardware in your machine which has a driver which somehow conflicts with some part of SonicStage. Though, frankly, I'm amazed that you would reinstall XP to try to make it work. I mistakenly took the USB sockets on the front of my PC to be ones connected to the root hub, and couldn't get Windows to recognise the NW-HD1 - but eventually tried it in the ones soldered to the motherboard and met with success.

As for the end of the email - read it carefully:
    "There are no confirmed plans ..."
    It doesn't say "There are no plans" or "We have decided not to"
    The chap I spoke to on the phone simply said that there are currently no definite plans to perform firmware upgrades in the UK, but that he would take my details and that they would let me know immediately if they decided to offer them in the future. This decision would, presumably, hinge a lot on the demand for a firmware upgrade.

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I appreciate where ur coming from MadKat.

However hardware wise, as I said it has run and encoded - but it only did it the once. SonicStage opens and immediately closes (as though it were a popup so to speak).

Doing a clean XP install is really not an issue - I have removable hard disk bay and a scratch hard disk (and a total of 8 HDD in my PC at any one time), all it really does is take up about an hour of installation time if that.

As I stated all patches and updates required etc. were done (The Sony one you mention only applies on XP up to SP1 - it's not required on SP2).

The bottom line is the software has major issues. I know this because I've done a Win2k Pro install in the same hardware and installed the necessary patches and drivers and bingo it works. The drivers were from the same disk (albeit XP and 2k drivers can and do differ) but nothing changed outside of the OS.

The only issue (and I can understand people asking why am I complaining) is that I don't want to effectively have a 120gb boot disk JUST so I can use the HD1. I don't think i'm unjustified in this but until they actually bow to consumer demand - and they are clearly aware I want the upgrade - then I'll either do a massive conversion (which sucks) and wait and wait and wait some more - or I'll create a virtual Win2K machine using some form of VMware just to deal with this.

I AM SORRY about ranting - but it's really annoyed me over their response.

13. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What annoyed me more was how closed their software is - you can't download an ATRAC3plus codec, or any specification of the index files on the device. I'm amazed at how long it takes for the software to do a simple file renaming exercise, and I was hoping to be able to write my own file manager. I may well still do this, once I've deciphered the data files and determined their purposes, though all encoding will still have to be done in their SonicStage thing.

It looks like files are dumped into a set of folders which store up to 1 CD worth of data - so I guess the firmware is based on that from an ATRAC3plus-CD playing device. If this is the case, who knows how MP3s have to be stored? It could be the same - each file has a number as its name, so from Explorer you can't actually see which file is which, so just copying the MP3s to the device won't do.
    I'd really like to get my hands on the sourcecode!

-----------------------
    IDEA: Try to can get VMWare or something similar and see if you can configure it to use your USB device.. I'll check into this. That way you could run an entirely imaginary set of hardware and use that 'machine' to do your 'dirty work'...

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Madkat

They have issued a seperate MP3 to ATRAC file converter and it's on their website, so u can convert outside of SonicStage.

If you have troubles finding it - shout and I'll pop it in my webspace.

Will give the VMWare a shot later on and let you (and anyone else) know.

15. doughnut

doughnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a NWHD1 which I think is brilliant - I emailed Sony about the upgrade to play native MP3 files and had this reply .....

I can confirm that Sony United Kingdom Limited will be offering a hardware upgrade to allow the NWHD1 to be fully compatible with native MP3 files with out the requirement for conversion to the Atrac format. However, this is still in the preliminary planning stages at the moment so we are yet to have the full information confirmed. The tentative date for availability is February 2005. There will be a small nominal fee applied to obtain the upgrade.

16. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried VMWare - I was hoping that I could assign an existing non-IDE disk (i.e. NW-HD1) to a disk in VMWare and give it the correct DeviceID etc, so that SonicStage would recognise it as an ATRAC HDD device. Unfortunately you can't assign any USB drives.

As for the MP3 to ATRAC converter - you cannot easily automate the tool without a bit of keystroke/mouseclick hackery, and it only does ATRAC3 not ATRAC3plus. Thanks for the thought, though!

doughnut WOO! YAY! Happiness! Rejoice! Praise the lord, if you're into that sort of jazz! :clap: :smashin: :thumbsup: [​IMG] [​IMG]

... we are yet to have the full information confirmed.
    Like I said, no *CONFIRMED* plans doesn't mean no plans at all.

17. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, wait, I was talking crap - it does convert to ATRAC3plus.
    But the automation is still unwieldly/unuseable :-( and there's no DLLs to be borrowed/hacked :-(

18. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I believe the hd1 will need a chip replaced for it to work.. hence the small cost as you wil have to send it back.. it does not seem to be flashable like the vaio pocket...

Matt

19. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be the case - however, it is said to be a *firmware upgrade* which suggests they will reflash the existing chip with new software. The electronics in the NW-HD1 are quite tightly packed, so I doubt they'll be plugging in a dual ATRAC3/MP3 decoder chip. Remember the HD3 is 1mm bigger on two sides, and the only thing it would have over an upgraded HD1 is that the backlight colour can be changed. The upgrade costs £10 in Japan and they pick it up from your house.

The Japanese site says that the upgrade could result in the loss of the data on the disk, and so users are advised to backup prior to giving their cherished toy to Sony. They might put some flashing code onto the disk, with the existing software checking the disk for updates at startup. Or, the code may actually sit in a hidden part of the disk.

It would interest me if the ATRAC3/plus decoders are in software - though it would make sense for space saving: you just need a memory chip and a CPU, instead of a memory chip, a CPU and two decoder chips.

20. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    MadKat

Have not done the VMWare as you've appeared to test it already (although I've been told V8 allows USB devices) and am trying Virtual PC with a 2kPro installation.

It'll take a day or 2, Xmas dinner pending, to sort but will get back to you.

Saw the HD3 today - nice in black but why do I feel like a beta tester?

21. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
  22. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I registered with THIS service to tell me when the page has the details on it :D

-- update --

Bloody thing doesn't appear to be working :thumbsdow

23. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got my NW-HD1 back from Sony, after chasing Initial CityLink for a week. I just went and picked it up personally from the guy they delivered it to instead of me(?!?!)

Anyway - I can't say I'm entirely impressed. IIRC the upgrade was originaly meant to be "Direct transfer and play of MP3 format files" - now seems to be "Transfer of MP3 files using SonicStage"

Disadvantages remaining over using any other MP3 player:
    1. You still have to use Sony's sluggish, ugly software to get your tracks onto your device! You can't just copy MP3 files onto it and play them.

2. MP3 playback is crippled - "V-SUR" and "Sound EQ" functions are inoperative during MP3 playback. You do get Bass/Treble control with an added "Digital Sound Preset" option, but that's all.

3. The MP3 data is somehow snarfed up (at a glance it looks like a continuous 24bit XOR across the MP3 data, and the ID3 tag gets turned into an 'ea3' tag) - this means the file on the device still loses its filename and inherits the OMA extension.

4. ANY third-party software which dumps MP3 files onto the device remains useless.

:censored: :suicide: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Let's hope Sony start to get their act together and give their next device some native FAT reading ability, a standard USB port (and charging thus) and don't mess around with the MP3 data. Would be nice to be able to use my 1.8" 20Gb HDD *as* a portable HDD.

24. Doomke2k4

Doomke2k4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With other words..

Making the Update is Crap.. Ore am i Wring with that :confused:

If yes :oops: :(

25. T-Bone

T-Bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the feedback - dont think I will both with the upgrade now tbh, wasnt really that keen in the 1st place.

26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Stuck mine in the post today. Here's hoping it comes back in one piece !

I doubt they do anything other than flash upgrade it. No internal parts.

For £15 they do Freepost, update it, Courier it back with a 2.3 Sonic stage disc. Apart from the courier costs and I guess about an hour of handling time, that £15 isn't likely to cover anything like opening it up and internal parts. Educated guess that's all.

I notice the upgrade service is available until about June. After which the patch will no doubt be released somewhere on the internet.

In the meantime I guessed sod it, why not.....

27. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My NW-HD1 has just returned from being upgraded and I want to install the new version of SonicStage. I have 13gb of music on my harddrive and have no room to back up the files. Will installing SonicStage wipe the existing files from my HD or do I not need to do a backup?

28. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Got home today and too my utter amazement the HD1 had arrived back ?!?!

I sent it on Monday afternoon, got an acknowledgement letter on Wednesday and it was back Friday morning. That is pretty good stuff Sony. Well done :thumbsup:

At first when I opened up the package I wondered if they had done anything to it. They sent back everything as I had sent it to them, same box, bubble wrap, same everything.

I've loaded Sonic 2.3 on and am just transferring 20Gb of MP3 files as we speak. Wow Sony, I'm impressed with the service. :smashin:

29. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What did you do with your MP3s when you installed SonicStage 2.3? :confused: My laptop has a 40gb hard drive so I can't back up my MP3s on my computer and don't want to lose them when installing SonicStage 2.3. Suggestions/answers please. :lease:

30. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I don't have a problem with memory capacity on my PC nor did I back them up.

Just installed 2.3 over 2.1 and everything worked fine for me.