1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD1 Upgrade - Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by diand, Jan 8, 2005.

1. diand

diand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony HD1 just before Christmas and have used it extensively during a recent one month trip to New Zealand. I am new to hard disc players and spent time transferring my CD collection via SonicStage to the attracplus format. Now that Sony are making available the upgrade option to allow the HD1 to play MP3's, I am not sure what to do. Any advice please... basically, is it worth paying the £15 (not a lot admittedly) for the upgrade - are there advantages of MP3 format over the attrac format - I don't have an MP3 collection but am not sure whether this is a 'better' format to use.

My inclination is to avoid the upgrade, particularly as all data on the disc will be lost and will have to be transferred again. However, the upgrade only seems to be available from mid-Jan 05 until July 05 so wouldn't want to miss the boat if it is worth it. Sorry for rambling on, any pointers would be really appreciated.

Finally, some thoughts on my use of the HD1. The battery life is excellent - hardly needed charging at all. The sound quality is excellent (at 64kbs attacplus) using Sony £20 headphones. Very portable given its size and the volume is fine - especially with tweak of the sound settings using the 'custom' option - seemed to increase volume maximum sufficiently. Don't regret purchasing the HD1 at all.

2. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I suggest that you need to think about why you want your HD1 to be upgraded? Sony's Atrac format is far superior to MP3, so you will get no sound benefit from the upgrade. Most people want MP3 because they already have an extensive library of MP3 music, I never got into MP3 because of the reduced quality, so all the music on my HD1 is from CD.

Personally I have a HD1 and use Sennheiser MX500 headphones and almost all of my music goes over at 256kps and sounds awesome. :devil: My approach to life is that I want the best quality possible, so in this instance the upgrade is not going to hapen to my HD1. :nono:

Ian.

3. diand

diand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian - thanks for your thoughts which are very helpful. I had not really been sure whether MP3 really offered better sound quality over atrac and thus the wish to have a device that played MP3 was based on that. My confusion was added to by reviews of the HD1 which strongly criticised it for not playing MP3 and bemoaned the atrac format. As I don't have an existing MP3 library it sounds from what you are saying that sticking with the atrac format actually will continue to work very well for me. I have been very happy with the HD1 so far - it is too easy to get caught into the 'upgrade mentality' simply because you think you should!