NW-HD1 MP3 Upgrade

M

mungoray

Have just got my NW-HD1 back from Sony with 'MP3' upgrade

Comes with sonicstage 2.3 which does not appear to offer 'MP3' as a recording option amongst the ATRAC options on the options menu. The help file says ensure that Sonicstage MP3 Add-on is installed. 'Add-on installing' did appear during the setup so I assume it has installed. I have tried several re-installs but no luck.

Getting 'rather fed up' with Sonicstage anyone out there had success with MP3 on the HD1?

Basically all that SS 2.3 does it not encode the files to atrac when you transfer.

So before if it saw a mp3 it would convert it to ATRAC and then push it to the player.. now it will just wrap the mp3 with DRM and put it on the player.. you should notice the process is much quicker. There is no explicit option as such. Also when ripping cd's I do not think theres a option for mp3 at all you can still only convert to atrac.. but I do not ever use it I prefer LAME/EAC for ripping cd's

I'm considering this upgrade path myself... unfortunately the upgrade is not yet available in Canada :( Just the same, a few questions:

1) When did you send in your unit, when did you get it back?
2) Are you able to quantify battery performance when playing mp3s (vs atrac).
3) What firmware version is reported under the service menu (Details available here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051)
4) Are there any additional directories or executables (in subdirectories, particularily ESYS) when you browse your player via explorer (ala mp3filemanager on the E99 etc)
5) Anything I missed worth mentioning.

Offtopic question: Does anyone know how to deal with vbr mp3s crashing sonicstage upon convert without burning the mp3 to cd or some intermediary format?

Cheers

ymboc said:
3) What firmware version is reported under the service menu (Details available here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051)
4) Are there any additional directories or executables (in subdirectories, particularily ESYS) when you browse your player via explorer (ala mp3filemanager on the E99 etc)

3) Firmware version after the upgrade will be 2.0000

4) No extra directories. Mp3filemanager will not work with this unit.

To answer queries from ymboc

1) When did you send in your unit, when did you get it back?

Unit was returned eight days after posting to Sony UK at Reading
Kept informed during the process, if anything an overkill with 3 mailings on progress on top of the returned unit which arrived well packaged and in still in perfect condition

2) Are you able to quantify battery performance when playing mp3s (vs
atrac).

No noticeable difference in battery performance > 25 hours

Still somewhat confused as to the best way to load MP3. I am using Media Player 10 for the basic encoding and then loading in through Sonicstage import, as the NW -HD1 does not appear to synchronise directly with Media Player 10.

ATRAC was fine but I wanted MP3 compatibility with my in car MP3 player, which is also Sony but does not have ATRAC ?

Also had my fingers burnt once with Betamax : Superior to VHS but lost out in the end!

how do i transfer mp3's to my ungraded HD1, when i click on transfer on SS 2.3, it converts it to Atrac, please help

Thanks mungoray! lots of good information! :)

Now if only I could find a way to upgrade this thing myself - nobody at sony customer support (canada) seems to know a thing about this upgrade - who knows might not even make it to canada.

Aside from that, I am having a horrible time getting mp3s (to atrac3plus) onto my hd1... I archived my cd's with lame vbr and sonicstage freezes (100% cpu usage) on each and every one of them when converting.

That being said I'm really liking its size & battery performance - now if I could only find a remote for less than the price of a new cd player.

infamous6622: If your HD1 is not upgraded you have no choice but to convert to atrac. If you have infact upgraded, see posts above - sonicstage does not seem to explicitly report that its transfering in native mp3 format.

Cheers

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey guys this is my first post! MAJOR PROPS TO THE GUY WHO POSTED THE VOLUME TRICK. Seeing how i live in the states I didn't need to adjust the sound cap but it was nice to know that trick and screw around with the menu. Most of you would be happy to know I 've tried everything in that menu. Nothing much basically just some testing to make sure the lcd works and the "format" display please DON'T PLAY WITH IT unless you wanna lose everything on your hd1/hd2/hd3. I was curious how I would be able to get my hd1 upgraded with the new mp3 firmware upgrade. all of you that have reported that you have got it are all in the uk for the most part I'm in the united states of america. I contacted sony and they gave me a link that doesnt even work. :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: [/FONT]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom