1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD1 background hiss

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mimoid, Feb 21, 2005.

1. mimoid

mimoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

My brand new NW-HD1 has a rather annoying background hiss whenever the player is running (in Play mode), even with the volume set to zero. It has nothing to do with the format (ATRAC3 or ATRAC3Plus) or whether or not the equalizer or the backlight is on. The hiss is *always* there and sound a bit like a cassette player - a bit annoying with softer tracks.

My EX71's really brings out the noise, but with my closed headphones, the hiss is much more subtle (nearly inaudible but still there). Does anybody know what this is? Is this normal? This is my first hard-disk based player so I really don't know what to expect. I may have very sensitive hearing, but my MiniDisc Net-MD Walkman doesn't have any background hiss whatsoever (using the same earphones).

If this is a malfunction, has anybody experienced something like this and had it fixed?

Tom

2. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine does have no hiss. But I´ve read about that hiss many times in this site. I think that it´s a manufacture failure. Speak to Sony and complain about it. They may give you a solution.

3. dj001k4727

dj001k4727

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow :thumbsdow There is quite a few reports of this hiss in this forum. It seems that this is a fault with your hd1. My hd1 has no hiss at all take it backand get a new model..............DJ :thumbsdow

4. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Used 3 different HD-1s and no hiss.

Must be a fault.

5. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I just got mine from Amazon, no hiss here.

6. mimoid

mimoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I suppose it is... I have been searching all over the internet and it seems that I am not alone - both HD1 and HD3 owners have reported this flaw.

The funny thing is that this background hiss is only audible with some phones. With the stock phones, no hiss is audible (but then, I can hardly hear the music with those ones). With my Sony closed headphones the background noise is almost inaudible. My favorite EX71 on the other hand makes the HD1 sound like a tape walkman: music behind a wall of noise... :eek:

Oh, and only with the NW-HD1. With my MZ-N710 minidisc walkman, the very same earbuds work perfectly without the slightest background hiss, so it is not the phones themselves.

Anyway, I have now taken the player back to the shop and had them send it to Sony for a repair... Now all I am worried about is the Sony guys going "sounds good enough to us, here's the bill".

Tom