1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVTV MPEG2 TV Tuner - receive Freeview?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by talizker, Aug 21, 2005.

1. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hello!

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to TV Cards... I would like a cheapish card that will enable me to watch and record Freeview (on XP Pro). The NVTV card looks to fit the bill but I can't figure out from anything that i've read if I will be able to get the 30 odd Freeview channels or just regular analogue 1-5?

http://www.xfxforce.co.uk/product_view.php?sku=PVMP012P

Thanks for your time :)

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's analogue, you could capture the output from a freeview receiver STB though.

Dave

3. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks Dave. So, am I looking at something like the Black Gold Media Centre @ £70? Is there anything available that is recommened in the £40-£50 range?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview cards are getting cheaper. The cheapest I've found is this one but before you rush out and buy it do a bit of research.

I thought about getting this but decided to try the capture route first. My NVTV card should be here tomorrow.

Dave

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If your looking for a good Freeview TV tuner I just posted one for sale in this thread,, it's a WinTV Nova-T Tuner....excellent card, but no room left in my case for it..£44 Shipped, which is just under your budget and is media center compatible, hmm..I wish this forum had it's own Buy/Sell thread I don't think nobody here checks the thread in the AV section..

LINK

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    Its V.pricey in comparison... but the Nebula DigiTV is as good as you could hope for, absolutely superb quality and very well featured too... double your ideal budget though.. :(

Works as a DigiTV server too via the included SW, you can buy the one card and stream all freeview channels to multiple PCs across your LAN.. :smashin:

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Talizker

the SweetSpot MCE , combined with MediaPortal comes in at around your budget :)

regards

8. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks everyone for the info. I did look at the Nebula DigiTV last year but it really is more than I want to spend. I think I looked at MediaPortal a while back but kind of gave up before I started >< I think I will take a look at this tonight then if it fits the bill may pick up the SweetSpot MCE. I am still toying with the idea of MCE 2005 for when XBox 360 comes out (having seen the cool dashboard demo video!) so this will be a good option if I decide to go that way.

:)