NVMe M.2 and SSD - Will there be a bottle neck?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm embarking on a rebuild and have started ordering some stuff, I've picked up a Corsair MP510 250gb NVMe today which I'll use in my new build, I will also be taking my older 120GB SSD across from my old setup which is currently running as my Windows drive.

I don't plan on taking any of the older spinning discs (which only have games installed) across as I only plan on using SSD in my new build. Question I have is should I keep Windows installed on the SSD and games on the M.2 or will that bottle neck performance as obviously the M.2 NVMe is a lot faster, or should I use the M.2 for windows and pick up a larger M.2 for game installation and use the older SSD just a peripheral storage?

Any advice?

There's not a great deal of difference between SSD's and M.2's ( were only talking seconds here ) on day to day usage ,
Yea M.2 are faster , but there only faster when it comes say benchmarking , or writing a video (too) while been rendered ,

when it comes to loading times the M.2 will have the advantage but only by a few seconds within games and your not really going to notice it over a SSD

"i would" put the OS ( Windows ) on the M.2 and games on the SSD ( how ever your not going to get many games on that 120gb SSD, ) you could probably pick up 1TB for less than a £100.

Cool, I'll put Windows on the M.2 in that case, you're right that I won't get many games on the 120gb even though I like to keep only at max 3 installed at any one time. I'll see if I can pick up a bigger SSD in that case.

Just game on an ext hdd. You won't get any extra gaming performance from an ssd. Only faster load times. Once again we are talking seconds.
Ssd are over rated. Yes I've got a very fast 3.5gb drive. It's fine but what's a few seconds? I just fancied a new toy in my pc rebuild

An external HDD would be the absolute worst way to game. HDDs are just terrible compared with SSDs, full stop. A clean HDD always feels fast when it's initially empty, but wait till it fills up and fragmentation starts taking its toll.

Big open world games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, and Assassins Creed Odyssey, are night and day difference when played off a HDD or SSD. Trying to load in the textures from a HDD while flying around in a helicopter in GR:W would constantly stutter. Transfered it over to a SSD using steam mover, and the difference was instantly noticeable, stutter gone, and frame rate at my monitors maximum.

With the price of a decent sized SSD being so reasonable these days, it makes little sense to use anything else for games.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom