1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia Vs ATi

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by GJC, Jun 1, 2004.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Here

----

This is one hell of a presentation.

-------

Regards,

GJC

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Typical sour grapes from nVidia. I'd like to see ATI's response to this before making any judgements. Perhaps the real question is how ATI can still have the performance crown (only just) using 'old' technology. Probably says more about the cost of R&D when you compare like-for-like prices.

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    From all the benchmarks theres no clear winner in terms of performance - ones better at OpenGL ( Nvidia ) and the other with D3D ( Ati )
    With Open GL the nvidia steams infront - with most apps they are pretty similar with the odd few D3D apps faster on X800's

....... and its not 'old technology' per se - or new for that matter - both are pretty much upgrades and redesigns - extra transitors and pipelines - its a case of using the same lego pieces in a slightly different order with a few extra pieces of the same type chucked in for good measure.

4. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    When you take a look at ATI's top card and compare it with Nvidia's best there really isn't much to separate the two as EthicsGradient has already said. Any differences in performance are minimal as are the benefits of buying one of these cards right now as an upgrade from a 9800Pro/5950Ultra.

5. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I wouldn't swap a 9800pro/5950Ultra for a new card till the end of the year / early next year for PCI-E.
    The performance jump is quite impressive - nearly double in some games and applications - but thats paying £300-400 ...... and all games this year will run pretty well on the 9800/5950's - I would look at buying one if you are stuck with the generation behind that and want a bells and whistles card and can justify the cost.
    I will probably be jumping to a 6800 ultra at some point in the next 3 months - but thats to replace and rearrange my home pcs and bring another up to reasonable spec whilst keeping my big box on top form.
    No wife or kids to support so what the hey ;)

6. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Particularly as early adopters are having some success upgrading X800 Pro's with the Platinum bios and enabling the remaining four pipelines to get (memory timings apart) what is essentially a Platinum at Pro prices. It appears that the overclockability of the Pro endows it with some serious muscle in the benchmarking stakes. If I was in the market for a new card I'd seriously consider this route and save a hundred smackers.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    I think I'll be waiting for PCI Express before upgrading my 5900 Ultra. The setup I have at the moment rarely struggles with the current games anyway.