1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVidia versus ATI.. worth the upgrade

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kunjay, Jun 3, 2005.

1. kunjay

kunjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I have a DMS 3400 with an ATI X300 128 MB Graphics card. DMS are offering an upgrade to the 128 MB 6600GT.

Specifically with regard to watching DVD, will there be an appreciable jump in quality? (Currently connected via DVI to Philips 37 inch 9986).

A brief internet search suggests ATI were generally better for video until recently.

I'm not a huge gamer but may in the future have a Video camera (perhaps, perhaps). Movies are my main thing and if they will look appreciably better, then I'd plunch for the £250 upgrade. (An extra digital tuner comes with the price).

Answers on the back of a postcard!

Cheers,

KJ

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 6600GT is a gaming card, and while it has a good reputation for picture quality I would question its suitability for a setup with no gaming requirements. Consider the vanilla 6600. Also £250 for the components mentioned is steep.

3. kunjay

kunjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danke schon!