Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)

Did you manage to successfully purchase a GeForce RTX 3090/3080/3070?

• Yes – RTX 3080

Votes: 74 26.7%
  • Yes – RTX 3070

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Yes – RTX 3090

Votes: 40 14.4%
  • Unable at the moment

Votes: 76 27.4%
  • Absolutely No Chance!

Votes: 42 15.2%
  • Yes - RTX 3080Ti

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Yes - RTX 3070Ti

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
neeed to use paypal - learned that first time around - why use your bank if you know you need a verification code.

you guys complaining make me laugh - you know how hard they are to get but then blame scan for the fact your bank has extra security in place. - not scans fault
Well first of all I have never had a verification code prior to this. So goodbye to your lame argument.
Even when I bought my 3070 FE from scan I didn't get asked for a verification code using the exact same card.

neeed to use paypal - learned that first time around - why use your bank if you know you need a verification code.

you guys complaining make me laugh - you know how hard they are to get but then blame scan for the fact your bank has extra security in place. - not scans fault
Mine was Paypal, but that's also an extra 3 screens to click through. By the time it was done the cart was emptied. Cant click as quick as bots can

Managed to order a 3070 FE. Finally :clap:

scan asked me for verification code on my first failed FE purchase so i used paypal next time and apart from a captcha panic it went through. They were available for longer on the second drop at scan

Umm... PayPal asked me for a verification code sent as a text. So....yeaaaah....PayPal sucks just as much as the banks.

scan asked me for verification code on my first failed FE purchase so i used paypal next time and apart from a captcha panic it went through. They were available for longer on the second drop at scan
Umm... PayPal asked me for a verification code sent as a text. So....yeaaaah....PayPal sucks just as much as the banks.
Possibly added in to stop the bots

Possibly added in to stop the bots
Could be. Or the payment processors are enforcing 3DSecure on Scan purchases. Either way, there was either only 5-10 units available, or bots got the lion's share.

Could be. Or the payment processors are enforcing 3DSecure on Scan purchases. Either way, there was either only 5-10 units available, or bots got the lion's share.
With over 1,800 people getting the part alert notification, I don’t even think bots stand a chance anymore.

I managed to snag one of the FE 3080s today from scan. I have been logging my scan account in at 1230 every day for the last 10 days and keep swapping between order history and account details roughly every 20 minutes which will stop it auto login out. as soon as the link came up on telegram I was sat at my PC ready to go. got lucky this time.
Gotta go to scan and collect it tomorrow morning.

I managed to snag one of the FE 3080s today from scan. I have been logging my scan account in at 1230 every day for the last 10 days and keep swapping between order history and account details roughly every 20 minutes which will stop it auto login out. as soon as the link came up on telegram I was sat at my PC ready to go. got lucky this time.
Gotta go to scan and collect it tomorrow morning.
That's the kind of dedication you need! Glad you managed to snag one

Seems I've bagged a EVGA 3070 from amazon so my Palit will be going back. Don't think I'll get a 3080 (apparently the Scan drop yesterday consisted of 20 cards🤣) so I'll keep that until next year once I'm back at work and can get a larger monitor.
Cannot justify the extra £250 over the 3070 for an AIB 3080 even at 1440p, the difference is about 10-15% for an additional 50% of the cost near enough

Seems I've backed a EVGA 3070 from amazon so my Palit will be going back. Don't think I'll get a 3080 (apparently the Scan drop yesterday consisted of 20 cards🤣) so I'll keep that until next year once I'm back at work and can get a larger monitor.

You're going through all the 3070s!

I'm still sour at HSBC shafting me on the 3080 a few weeks back, like people this week, but happy enough to get the 3070 I originally wanted. I'll see how it copes and if I need to next year I'll upgrade. Just hope it's enough for the nice 1440p monitor my wife has bought me for Christmas. The test will be Cyberpunk 2077, they say 3070 for 1440p ultra with Ray Tracing but not if it's 30 FPS.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of these could have been a 3080?

I'm just surprised miners would use to them. The power draw is ridiculous on the 3080 and 3090, but maybe the performance makes up for it.

I'm just surprised miners would use to them. The power draw is ridiculous on the 3080 and 3090, but maybe the performance makes up for it.

Ah sorry, reading back over what I typed, it reads differently to what I meant to post. 🤦🏼

NVidia sell the silicon and memory as package I believe, what I actually meant - and should have written - was I wonder how many of those packages could have been made into 3080 cards. $175,000,000 sounds like an awfully large volume of chips.

You're going through all the 3070s!

I'm still sour at HSBC shafting me on the 3080 a few weeks back, like people this week, but happy enough to get the 3070 I originally wanted. I'll see how it copes and if I need to next year I'll upgrade. Just hope it's enough for the nice 1440p monitor my wife has bought me for Christmas. The test will be Cyberpunk 2077, they say 3070 for 1440p ultra with Ray Tracing but not if it's 30 FPS.
I'm sure the 3070 will be fine for 1440p
To be honest my number one choice for the 3070 and 3080 aib is EVGA as they have excellent service having used then for a faulty PSU (the fan was noisy as hell, PSU fine, had a new one within a week) and they allow you to remove the stock cooler for water cooling. The price is also the same as the Palit and alot cheaper than the others.
It is kinda crazy how the mid range is now faster than the last generation top of the range. No doubt we will see a 3070 super, 3070ti, 3080 super and 3080 ti.

Well, kinda annoyed tbf. Spend early £800 on a high spec gpu yet still running into issues.

1) If I change input on my tv then change it back to my pc, I cannot get the picture back. Didn’t have this issue on my old card
2) Getting random black screens that last from 5-10 seconds, during this it’s basically like the entire video is cut as all you can hear is sound, then the “hdr” sign and “game ready” pops up like it does when a signal is suddenly detected

3) Middle of the longest game I’ve had on zombies, middle of the match get a random “changing servers” thing come up, as soon as it reconnects this is all I experience.

I’ve no idea if this is a gpu issue or server issue though tbh. I’m concerned the gpu was at 100% as you’ll see here, I changed various things throughout including resolution and refresh rate and nothing made any difference, you was locked at 98-100% usage. As soon as I exited the active game back to the menu, the gpu use instantly dropped abs everything went back to normal.

Maybe I’m throwing the wrong game at my 3080, I’m just surprised you can still get issues like this in 2020 tbh, and I’ve no idea where to start with troubleshooting.

Well, kinda annoyed tbf. Spend early £800 on a high spec gpu yet still running into issues.

1) If I change input on my tv then change it back to my pc, I cannot get the picture back. Didn’t have this issue on my old card
2) Getting random black screens that last from 5-10 seconds, during this it’s basically like the entire video is cut as all you can hear is sound, then the “hdr” sign and “game ready” pops up like it does when a signal is suddenly detected

3) Middle of the longest game I’ve had on zombies, middle of the match get a random “changing servers” thing come up, as soon as it reconnects this is all I experience.

I’ve no idea if this is a gpu issue or server issue though tbh. I’m concerned the gpu was at 100% as you’ll see here, I changed various things throughout including resolution and refresh rate and nothing made any difference, you was locked at 98-100% usage. As soon as I exited the active game back to the menu, the gpu use instantly dropped abs everything went back to normal.

Maybe I’m throwing the wrong game at my 3080, I’m just surprised you can still get issues like this in 2020 tbh, and I’ve no idea where to start with troubleshooting.

Knowing Activision it will be a game issue. I've not bought a COD game in years but I remember every game since MW having issues at release.

Cable maybe on its last legs?

Knowing Activision it will be a game issue. I've not bought a COD game in years but I remember every game since MW having issues at release.

Could be but hard to test. Had no problem with Modern Warfare so could more be a treyarch issue, just wish I had another recent RTX game that I could compare it against, there’s just none that interest me, at least not the way zombies does it for me.

Cable maybe on its last legs?

it’s a brand new cable so doubt that, but have ordered another one just in case for safety. I do wonder if this is one of the issues we face with hdmi 2.1 cables not needing certification. With that said, I don’t think that explains the 100% gpu usage, or the change to constant stuttering

Modern Warfare so could more be a treyarch issue
Modern Warfare has been out for a while, hasn't it?
So they've probably ironed out the bugs. Treyarch always used to have load of issues with the old CODs.
Speaking of old CODs, this was my favourite clutch

Could be but hard to test. Had no problem with Modern Warfare so could more be a treyarch issue, just wish I had another recent RTX game that I could compare it against, there’s just none that interest me, at least not the way zombies does it for me.

it’s a brand new cable so doubt that, but have ordered another one just in case for safety. I do wonder if this is one of the issues we face with hdmi 2.1 cables not needing certification. With that said, I don’t think that explains the 100% gpu usage, or the change to constant stuttering
Control is £12.99 on CD Keys. RTX implementation is regarded as some of the best.

What you using to monitor your stats ? Looks like the stutter issue i have had in everygame i played. I have just been going back through COD MW Campaign and im still getting stutters in that. I have stutters in every game i play so its not game specific for me. Im still trying to find the fix but its making me want to bin my PC and just get a console. I dunno if gaming on a TV makes it worse but i never had issues like this with my 1070 gaming on the same TV albeit it, It was in a different case, different mobo ram ssd and psu. So my issue could also lie in one of those which is making it even harder to distinguish. Some times gaming is fine then all of a sudden i have stutter issues and high gpu usage and sometimes its just crap from the start.

Id take my 1070 set up back in a heart beat and turn my settings down least it was a smooth gaming experience over this pile of crap set up which cost me a best part of a grand and a half.

Control is £12.99 on CD Keys. RTX implementation is regarded as some of the best.
Is the game itself actually any good though? I really like fast games like zombies in Cold War, or Mp in MW...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom