Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)

Did you manage to successfully purchase a GeForce RTX 3090/3080/3070?

• Yes – RTX 3080

Votes: 74 26.7%
  • Yes – RTX 3070

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Yes – RTX 3090

Votes: 40 14.4%
  • Unable at the moment

Votes: 76 27.4%
  • Absolutely No Chance!

Votes: 42 15.2%
  • Yes - RTX 3080Ti

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Yes - RTX 3070Ti

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
Rtx 3080 or a ps5 unsure what to do i already have a 2070 super which has been great lol

Ok looks like it is time to retire my amazing 1080ti which i must say has been immense, for a 3080, but will not be rushing into buying one in the next few weeks, will wait to see with is the best one to get.
Non FE cards are going to fetch a high premium due to demand initially. If I can't get an FE order at £649 I will wait until next year I think.

Does anyone know of any reviewers that have done VR benchmarks?

Non FE cards are going to fetch a high premium due to demand initially. If I can't get an FE order at £649 I will wait until next year I think.

Yes, not going to pay silly money for one at the moment, i do like the look of the FE cards though , that was my initial choice to be honest.

Rtx 3080 or a ps5 unsure what to do i already have a 2070 super which has been great lol
Exactly this !!!!
But then again, apart from Last of Us 2 and follow up to Horizon would I play it over the PC? Also, it's a lot easier to sneak a GPU in to the house without being spotted rather than something that looks like an over large router

Seems like you can undervolt the cards to 0.800 at 1800mhz.

Speed difference is negligible, but it takes the card down to under 300w for the majority of the time on full load.

Exactly this !!!!
But then again, apart from Last of Us 2 and follow up to Horizon would I play it over the PC? Also, it's a lot easier to sneak a GPU in to the house without being spotted rather than something that looks like an over large router
Just say it is the new router! :p

Seems like you can undervolt the cards to 0.800 at 1800mhz.

Speed difference is negligible, but it takes the card down to under 300w for the majority of the time on full load.

Any links, vids on this?

Any links, vids on this?

This website dropped it down to 270w, at the loss of around 4.2%.

It's pretty obvious this was intended to be a 270w card, for whatever reason Nvidia decided to squeeze that tiny bit more out of it, not exactly sure it's worth it.

This website dropped it down to 270w, at the loss of around 4.2%.

It's pretty obvious this was intended to be a 270w card, for whatever reason Nvidia decided to squeeze that tiny bit more out of it, not exactly sure it's worth it.

Thanks! Bitwit has done a good test by downclocking a Ryzen 5 3600xt to give an idea of what performance and power draw would be for the Ryzen 5 3600 at 4.1GHz.

Looks like most of us will be OK running 650W gold rated PSUs.

Guys I’m reading some of the base 3rd party cards don’t have back plates. What difference does this make?
Depends how heavy they are. Backplates help with sagging I believe. Also an additional heatsink

£449 or £359 (digital) for the PS5. After watching the presentation there was some very pretty games but nothing that's made me want put money on it over a 3080

So better to have one for aesthetics? It’s not a sign of a better cooler or build quality per say?

It can have a effect on cooling if the plate is thermally connected to the main board components but that is on a card by card basis as some are purely cosmetic, I just think they look crap with an exposed PCB also more prone to damage.

Not sure why the disappointment - nVidia never promised a significant performance bump over the 2080Ti. People forget it's still at least 10-15% faster than the Ti at 60% the price. It should really be compared against the 2080 or even better the 1080 (where it is literally double the performance in just about everything).

I'd still want more power, so it's the 3090 for me (even though the performance-to-price ratio is terrible).

Not sure why the disappointment - nVidia never promised a significant performance bump over the 2080Ti. People forget it's still at least 10-15% faster than the Ti at 60% the price. It should really be compared against the 2080 or even better the 1080 (where it is literally double the performance in just about everything).

I'd still want more power, so it's the 3090 for me (even though the performance-to-price ratio is terrible).

Who's disappointed ?

Does anyone know of any reviewers that have done VR benchmarks?
Sadly not - it's still a very small user base. The VR channels will certainly do reviews though. They aren't big enough to receive review units from nVidia though, so you'll have to wait till they get them via the standards channels.

So better to have one for aesthetics? It’s not a sign of a better cooler or build quality per say?

A back plate also helps to add rigidity to the board, preventing sagging. Given that the up-to 320W power draw will need a very substantial cooler to handle it, the board will have to handle a lot of weight. I would want a backplate if only for that reason.

Update - Ebuyer have listed cards for sale and can head to checkout!

They are selling quick too - over 100 people on the Zotac trinity

I am not brave enough to go for it myself, I don't want £700 stuck in limbo for about a week if they cancel afterwards as then I won't have enough to rebuy at 2PM without dipping in my savings.

Edit - 00:25 - All now out of stock...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 00.21.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 00.21.27.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 00.23.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 00.23.40.png
    803.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Update - Ebuyer have listed cards for sale and can head to checkout!

They are selling quick too - over 100 people on the Zotac trinity

I am not brave enough to go for it myself, I don't want £700 stuck in limbo for about a week if they cancel afterwards as then I won't have enough to rebuy at 2PM without dipping in my savings.

Edit - 00:25 - All now out of stock...

*** was tempted to stay up to see if this happened but thought “nah no retailer would be stupid enough”.
Wrong!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom