Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)

Did you manage to successfully purchase a GeForce RTX 3090/3080/3070?

• Yes – RTX 3080

Votes: 74 26.7%
  • Yes – RTX 3070

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Yes – RTX 3090

Votes: 40 14.4%
  • Unable at the moment

Votes: 76 27.4%
  • Absolutely No Chance!

Votes: 42 15.2%
  • Yes - RTX 3080Ti

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Yes - RTX 3070Ti

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
There's been some price leaks:-

RTX 3090 - $1399
RTX 3080 - $799
RTX 3070 - $499

I'm fancying a new GPU , 3080 could be an option ( from my 3 year 1080 ti - which to honest is still holding up quite well ) , but all depends on how it performs..

Not sure those prices will be real but i'd take a 3070 at that price I reckon. Would love them to come back down to normal prices again but doubt that will happen again, not until AMD really give them a run for their money at least.

I've been waiting a looooong time for this generation, the 770 is at the point its almost not worth selling anymore, long overdue an upgrade, final piece in the puzzle for me for the forseeable future (after this im into house deposit saving mode)

From what I understand from a friend that's quite close to it all, 3090 will be what the rtx titan was, (e peen no practical need for it card) as the 3000 series titan will be compute only. look out for the 3080ti as the 2080ti replacement I would wager.

For gaming I don't see the need for 24gb on a gpu. IF the 3090 is the new titan that price is ok...

However if it is just a way of increasing prices and the Ti and Titan cards are still to come that is another large increase.
I am planning on an upgrade sometime in the next 12 months but foolish me I actually believed Nvidia when they talked about a $50-100 drop in price with the next generation of cards.

I will have to see just how good that 3080 is but may wait for the ti / super refresh now. I will see how my 1080ti copes with the Reverb G2

I have £1000 set aside for a new card, so eager to see what the $ translates to in £ (probably $1 = £1).
If i can sell my 1080 for a few hundred i should be able to go for the 3090.

Does this countdown show when they are released or just show more info about them (the official unveiling)?

@Thug
IT will just be the basic "info" on the cards ,
What it's called ,
a rough price ,
release date ,
and if it can make make toast for breakie or not ...

@Thug
IT will just be the basic "info" on the cards ,
What it's called ,
a rough price ,
release date ,
and if it can make make toast for breakie or not ...
Don't forget statistically dubious graphs showing that they have 300% performance improvement over Turing and can do 5 quintillion gigarays.

can't wait till these new cards come out, personally waiting for a 3080/90ti (or whatever they called) as a big upgrade from my 1080ti,
what's the rough price would the 1080ti's sell for when i'm getting rid of it ?.

what's the rough price would the 1080ti's sell for when i'm getting rid of it ?.

It's £50 and I'll send you my address shortly :)

I’ve been waiting on these a while too, the 3070 is in line with what I’m expecting. However with both the PlayStation and Xbox firmly team AMD, and their new GPUs out in October, I’m interested to see if they manage to pull enough out the bag to cause a price war before ordering

I’ve been waiting on these a while too, the 3070 is in line with what I’m expecting. However with both the PlayStation and Xbox firmly team AMD, and their new GPUs out in October, I’m interested to see if they manage to pull enough out the bag to cause a price war before ordering
I'd be worried if they didn't as then the prices of these will go up as everyone tries to get one who perhaps waited on AMD to show their hand.

I'd be very dubious about those prices. Firstly the 3070 is likely to be up around 2080ti performance which would absolutely destroy the value of their existing lineup by bringing similar performance for under half the price. Also the 3080 is supposed to out perform the 2080ti and would have the same effect. If this were true we'd all be able to buy used 2080 ti's for £400-500 after launch, not a likely scenario IMO.

If you own a 2080ti, now would be a good time to sell it. Looking at eBay you can still get about £800-£900 for it. Next month you'd be lucky to get even half that.

I'd be very dubious about those prices. Firstly the 3070 is likely to be up around 2080ti performance which would absolutely destroy the value of their existing lineup by bringing similar performance for under half the price.

Didn't we see this with the 1070 vs the 980Ti though, if memory serves? Actually, I can't remember what the 980Ti was when the 1000 series was released. Apologies.

If you own a 2080ti, now would be a good time to sell it. Looking at eBay you can still get about £800-£900 for it. Next month you'd be lucky to get even half that.
If I can snag a used 2080ti for £400 I may rethink getting a 3000 card!

In the past the x70 card of the next gen HAS rivaled the top of the range gaming card of the previous gen . It is just the current cards which not only were a disapointing jump in performance but also bought stupid price rises.... But they did have a couple of new features.
The refreshed (super) cards were actually in line with the normal jump I expect in a new generation (ie had they come from the start). (But they were still £100 more than I would want to pay with the x070 and x080 supers and came a year too late

Last edited:
The real risk and issue with cards now is many console owners wising up to perceived lower price/ownership cost of pcs, with demand for any future cards likely higher.

While we all know better, based on many comments when ps/Xbox news is announced on things like gamingbible posts there’s always people saying “at that price think I’ll spend my money on a pc”.

So if the consoles come out around the £500 mark, it would be easy for console users to think “I’m ok spending £300 more on a pc, games are “cheaper” and no multiplayer payments requires so works out cheaper. Could you build a Xbox/ps rival for £800? Well get yourself a 3600, b4/550, for £250, add the gpu for £500, we all know it’s easy to “up sell” yourself on the other bits like psu and case, but it could be made compelling (especially by pre-build system sellers).

As we’ve seen, this demand doesn’t do us as buyers any favours, so what the rrp for these things are vs what the end sale price could be by Xmas is something else. At the very least the 2080ti could still fare a reasonable price 2nd hand on this basis alone. Let’s also not forget bitcoin mining is verging potentially profitable again too, so some could consider these as generating cash back...

In other news Nvidia share price hits new record highs (again), doubling since April. Once these are available for pre-orders it is likely to push things up more. It is looking very rosy for Nvidia right now, which is a good thing for gamers longer term, but they need to be pushed.

The RTX3090 is going to be a massive triple slot card :eek: :-

RTX3090.jpg

I don't think I can get that through the door let alone in my case

In other news Nvidia share price hits new record highs (again), doubling since April. Once these are available for pre-orders it is likely to push things up more. It is looking very rosy for Nvidia right now, which is a good thing for gamers longer term, but they need to be pushed.

AMD are supposed to have a card that's in the region of 20-30% better than a 2080ti so it all depends on what price point they come in at. Unfortunately they're 2-3 months behind Nvidia and so the green team can charge what they want until RDNA 2 launches.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom