Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)

Did you manage to successfully purchase a GeForce RTX 3090/3080/3070?

• Yes – RTX 3080

Votes: 58 25.4%
  • Yes – RTX 3070

Votes: 26 11.4%
  • Yes – RTX 3090

Votes: 31 13.6%
  • Absolutely No Chance!

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • Unable at the moment

Votes: 36 15.8%

• Total voters

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Anyone know if the 3090 FE can be used with the phanteks vertical mount? Only seems to be 2 slots. No definitive answer from the Internet.
The lian li one can be used but you cannot mount fans in the bottom which defeats the object

Delvey

Distinguished Member
After market problem, nothing to do with Nvidia. Everyone knows memory can get hot. Here is my FE 3090 after 3 runs through Port Royale
1619638333714.png

sparkymark75

After market problem, nothing to do with Nvidia. Everyone knows memory can get hot. Here is my FE 3090 after 3 runs through Port Royale
View attachment 1502579
Not sure what you mean by nothing to do with nVidia. They choose the suppliers for parts for their cards. I've not ran Port Royal much but in games, my Vram temps can get up to 100c.

I'm not sure undervolting does much for vram temps. Underclocking the memory would probably do more.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Not sure what you mean by nothing to do with nVidia. They choose the suppliers for parts for their cards. I've not ran Port Royal much but in games, my Vram temps can get up to 100c.

I'm not sure undervolting does much for vram temps. Underclocking the memory would probably do more.
Nvidia do not design the aftermarket coolers, they provide the PCB and that is it. They will provide the cooling requirements (hence why they have a fan on the back of the FE) and it is up to the aftermarket manufacturers to design an adequate cooler. If the cooler is not adequate then that is down to the manufacturer of said cooler, not Nvidia.

sparkymark75

Nvidia do not design the aftermarket coolers, they provide the PCB and that is it. They will provide the cooling requirements (hence why they have a fan on the back of the FE) and it is up to the aftermarket manufacturers to design an adequate cooler. If the cooler is not adequate then that is down to the manufacturer of said cooler, not Nvidia.
I thought you were talking about the FE, not aftermarket cards.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I thought you were talking about the FE, not aftermarket cards.
No, I was talking about the Linus Tech video, which slates Nvidia when it has nothing to do with them that other brands make crap coolers

SkllCrshrHndrsn

Similar temps from my 3090 FE too. I've been very impressed with the cooler and the design in general. It almost pains me to shortly be water-cooling it, almost.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Got my RMA processed with Scan for my dodgy 3070 FE grinding fans. Hopefully I can get a replacement this year :).

Scan were easy to deal with too. Print off a label, collected by DPD. My first RMA so wasn't sure what to expect.

MooCow

Got my RMA processed with Scan for my dodgy 3070 FE grinding fans. Hopefully I can get a replacement this year :).

Scan were easy to deal with too. Print off a label, collected by DPD. My first RMA so wasn't sure what to expect.
Yeah Scan are pretty stellar on the returns processing, my order mix up that I had the other week when they sent me some other guys parts was no bother at all for them to deal with. All resolved within 48 hours.
Now my go to vendor even though they are not always the cheapest for everything - though competitive, the free delivery and customer service is worth the extra couple of quid sometimes.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
The cooler on the FE is great... However the thing which ..... Me off about the 3090FE, a £1400 card is they cheaped out on the thermal pads.

My mem temps are bouncing between 104 and 108 degrees under full load. I am certain if I replaced the crappy thermal pads with the ones I bought for £20 I would knock 6 degrees minimum off those temps.
However it would void the warranty.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
The cooler on the FE is great... However the thing which ..... Me off about the 3090FE, a £1400 card is they cheaped out on the thermal pads.

My mem temps are bouncing between 104 and 108 degrees under full load. I am certain if I replaced the crappy thermal pads with the ones I bought for £20 I would knock 6 degrees minimum off those temps.
However it would void the warranty.
It seems they have fixed this. My memory temps don't exceed 90°C.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
It seems they have fixed this. My memory temps don't exceed 90°C.
Wow seems they ponied up the cash for decent pads then. Gaming wise mine is fine but as soon as I mine............ Now I know miners don't get much sympathy but end of the day it's not running the card out of spec so it should cope.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
What games have you tested with? Some games I only go up to around 86c, others such as Cyberpunk with RT enabled, it touches 100c.
Port Royale benchmark (ray tracing benchmark). This was after 3 runs
Wow seems they ponied up the cash for decent pads then. Gaming wise mine is fine but as soon as I mine............ Now I know miners don't get much sympathy but end of the day it's not running the card out of spec so it should cope.
Mining exclusively uses memory doesn't it?
So wouldn't surprise me

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Port Royale benchmark (ray tracing benchmark). This was after 3 runs

Mining exclusively uses memory doesn't it?
So wouldn't surprise me
Played some PUBG tonight, Sanhok for some reason pushes the GPU and the memory hit 101°C, however I've upped the fan to 65% at 65°C and this brought it down without being noisy.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Anyone any suggestions why PUBG is running poorly? Thought I could hit 165 FPS with the 3090 but it never locks out. Youtube suggests 200 fps is doable. GPU usage never exceeds 70% and CPU even lower

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
could be related to that issue with windows making some people's pc perform poorly?

edit removed italics, not sure how i managed to select that option.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
could be related to that issue with windows making some people's pc perform poorly?
Good shout. I did install an update the other day, cannot seem to rollback

Last edited:

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Good shout. I did install an update the other day, cannot seem to rollback

Oh that Windows update was so grim, proper made a mess of Borderlands 2, an ancient game like that, not exactly resource intensive is it. That update took me forever to install it got stuck on the preparing screen, then after that game was locking up in menu's running a stuttering mess and eventually crashing.

I’m not a PC gamer by any stretch so I can leave it a good while between rampages as I game on everything, Switch, PC, and all the rest so it does my head in that every time I log on there’s either a windows or Nvidia update to do, does windows have a way of turning the machine on to check for updates then turning it back off again?. I’m assuming not as there’s no proper rest mode, the machine is either on or idle with the monitor turned off.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Oh that Windows update was so grim, proper made a mess of Borderlands 2, an ancient game like that, not exactly resource intensive is it. That update took me forever to install it got stuck on the preparing screen, then after that game was locking up in menu's running a stuttering mess and eventually crashing.

I’m not a PC gamer by any stretch so I can leave it a good while between rampages as I game on everything, Switch, PC, and all the rest so it does my head in that every time I log on there’s either a windows or Nvidia update to do, does windows have a way of turning the machine on to check for updates then turning it back off again?. I’m assuming not as there’s no proper rest mode, the machine is either on or idle with the monitor turned off.
I managed to do a system restore to last week. Windows now allows you to pause updates for 7 days (which I have done and will continue to do until it is fixed).
I've not tried a game yet however.

GreyMutton

I'm having the same issue with the latest Windows update. Stuck on preparing screen, had to reboot and now the update fails to install. I was intending to get back to it and get it fixed but, based on the issues some are having, I might as well hold off until a patch or whatever is released to fix these issues.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I managed to do a system restore to last week. Windows now allows you to pause updates for 7 days (which I have done and will continue to do until it is fixed).
I've not tried a game yet however.

I really need to learn how to do stuff like that to fix such tech gremlins, it would definitely help if I wasn’t lazy and adverse to learning how stuff works.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021