Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)

Did you manage to successfully purchase a GeForce RTX 3090/3080/3070?

• Yes – RTX 3080

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Yes – RTX 3070

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • Yes – RTX 3090

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • Unable at the moment

Votes: 78 31.1%
  • Absolutely No Chance!

Votes: 40 15.9%
  • Yes - RTX 3080Ti

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Yes - RTX 3070Ti

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
So which one is the better cable? Amazon or the modDIY?
Good question,
Not sure to be honest, I’ve both, If you do a side by side comparison, The modDIY cable is slightly thicker, but I think that’s more to do with the thickness of the sleeving used rather than the gauge of the cable.

I’m using a 3090, So there was some discussion at the time of the release of the EZDIY-FAB cable on Amazon as whether it was up to the job for a 3090 due to the 18 gauge cable, rather than the 16 gauge that the supplied nvidia adapter is.
Having emailed both EZdiy and ModDIY, Ez were covering themselves citing the differences in the gauge as to the reason to why they weren’t recommending it for the 3090, Were as ModDIY said it would be fine to use with the 3090.

To add further confusion into the mix the EZDIY extension cables I’m using are 16 gauge!

Anyway, Apologies for the ramble ;) , But I’ve had no issues with the modDIY cable but will probably swap it out for the EZ cable as it better matches the other cables in my rig as they appear to be the same gauge.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Scan have just listed a 3090 Asus AIB for £2100
And it sold within minutes😲

richardb70

Distinguished Member
So my new RTX 3070 FE seems to occasionally make a rattling noise. Not sure how to describe it really. I don't think it's anything else, I thought maybe the AIO pump but I ran a load of CPU stress tests while the GPU fans weren't spinning and nothing happened. Seems to happen when the GPU is under load.

Gah. Anyone else getting this? I can't exactly return it at the moment.

eaglemmoomin

So my new RTX 3070 FE seems to occasionally make a rattling noise. Not sure how to describe it really. I don't think it's anything else, I thought maybe the AIO pump but I ran a load of CPU stress tests while the GPU fans weren't spinning and nothing happened. Seems to happen when the GPU is under load.

Gah. Anyone else getting this? I can't exactly return it at the moment
Have you got a spare machine to put it in ie different PSU and recable to the GPU. Might be a dodgy power connection between the 8 pin to 12 pin or actually into the card. Is it like a clicking noise? My RTX 3080 is a three 8 pin design and that got very upset the other day. Turned out when messing about I'd not quite managed to seat the third 8 pin (6 and 2 plug) and it was not happy.

sparkymark75

Gah. Anyone else getting this? I can't exactly return it at the moment.
I watched a tear down video of a 3090 the other day on Gamers Nexus and he mentioned that when Jayz2cents had his 3090, there was a rattle and when he opened it up, there was a loose piece of metal inside. Seemed like it was a guide for fitting the plastic to the board.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Scan have just listed a 3090 Asus AIB for £2100
And it sold within minutes😲
Madness!, I thought £1400 was bad enough for the FE!

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone. I took the card out and shook it a little but it all seems solid. The fans turn fine by hand and there doesn't appear to be an obstruction (otherwise I'd hear the noise all the time when the fans are spinning). It comes and goes. I'll see if I can test with another power supply, good call, or a different lead at least.

Have pinged nvidia anyway to see what they say. I might upload a vid here too.

PodJim

I wonder if the Ever Given fiasco will affect supply even further.

MooCow

I wonder if the Ever Given fiasco will affect supply even further.

Well as it's the gateway between Asia and Europe...yes.
People need to appreciate that the rumours circulating that EverGiven is full of GPUS which may be wrong is not the main issue, it's the tonnes of cargo in the other ships that now have to jostle around for getting through.
South of the Suez right now:
1617025581190.png

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Who is paying all the late fees/demurrage etc for all these ships that incur costs because they didn't reach port within given windows, and how will this backlog be cleared? I guess every port will be working a lot of overtime until everything is back on schedule.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
All those orange dots are ships full of RTX graphics cards. That's why the prices have gone up. Damn you large ship of doom!

anlygi

It's definitely having an effect. Aside from a complete lack of Founders cards anywhere in Europe this past week, I've noticed there's very little in the way of AIB cards dropping lately too. With any luck, there'll be a lot of drops happening soon but that's just wishful thinking!

Well as it's the gateway between Asia and Europe...yes.
People need to appreciate that the rumours circulating that EverGiven is full of GPUS which may be wrong is not the main issue, it's the tonnes of cargo in the other ships that now have to jostle around for getting through.
South of the Suez right now:
View attachment 1485110

That's very interesting. I had a look at their site there and couldn't find a key. From clicking a few ships I'm assuming yellow indicates dry cargo and orange is tankers. Purple appears to be yachts, there's a couple of superyachts among the chaos!

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I got all the 3 series, got all the 3 series
SmartSelect_20210330-095311_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Well, wait and see as amazon like cancelling stuff

3OXA

I just seen the Gamin X trio 3080 go up at Amazon. Is it worth the asking? Was £96 over the retail of the FE card

Last edited:

3OXA

I just bagged one too

anlygi

I got all the 3 series, got all the 3 series View attachment 1485471

I jumped on that alert but was unable to buy as I haven't been able to order anything from non-UK Amazon since 1st January. Thanks Brexit! Was it even Amazon EU? I just got a message stating unable to ship to selected address, as has been the case when I've tried ordering anything from outside the UK.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Still there now so i've a feeling theres going to be a lot of cancellations. Good luck to everyone who has bought one though. Expected 13th April so that link could be up there for a while.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I jumped on that alert but was unable to buy as I haven't been able to order anything from non-UK Amazon since 1st January. Thanks Brexit! Was it even Amazon EU? I just got a message stating unable to ship to selected address, as has been the case when I've tried ordering anything from outside the UK.
Yes it was Amazon EU
I just seen the Gamin X trio 3080 go up at Amazon. Is it worth the asking? Was £96 over the retail of the FE card
If you can find a 3080 in stock you will be lucky, if you can find a 3080 under £1000 then you have discovered a miracle my child.
Still there now so i've a feeling theres going to be a lot of cancellations. Good luck to everyone who has bought one though. Expected 13th April so that link could be up there for a while.
I have buy it now setup, within 10 seconds of it going on the part alert I had paid. Fingers crossed.

3OXA

Yes it was Amazon EU

If you can find a 3080 in stock you will be lucky, if you can find a 3080 under £1000 then you have discovered a miracle my child.

I have buy it now setup, within 10 seconds of it going on the part alert I had paid. Fingers crossed.
Good point, if it turns up my 3070 will be sold to cover the cost of this

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Good point, if it turns up my 3070 will be sold to cover the cost of this
See my CCL post above. £1200 for a Gigabyte 3080. I'm surprised amazon are selling this so cheap. The 3090 is £1800 from amazon europe

3OXA

See my CCL post above. £1200 for a Gigabyte 3080. I'm surprised amazon are selling this so cheap. The 3090 is £1800 from amazon europe
Yeah I did see that post. Is this the actual retail cost of the MSI card?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max