Nvidia Shield TV Pro: Capabilites

stillspangle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have not posted in such a looooong time...

Does Nvidia Power Shield TV Pro support the following:
  • Google Play Store
  • TiviMate
  • ExpressVPN (app install, not a workaround)
  • iPlayer
  • ITV Hub
  • All4
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney Plus
  • Google Movies
  • Spotify
  • YouTube
  • Recordings
Phew!

Any other gems I doubt know about?

...asking for a friend 🤭

Thanks in advance
stillspangle

There is no All4 app, the rest is a yes

Thx, chenks!
Really quick reply!!!

Do you mean no All4 app on Play Store (spelling is All 4, not All4) or it is not possible to install it on the device?

Thx again

Not in the store, channel 4 don’t provide a version of the app for the shield

Dangit!
I'm looking for a media box that can 'do' all that list?

Can All 4 be sideloaded and still added as an ExpressVPN shortcut?

Thanks for your help!
Really appreciated.
stillspangle

Only the mobile version of the app can be sideloaded I believe, but the user experience will suck IMO

Couldn't you just cast the All4 app from a smart device, be that a mobile phone or tablet, or even cast the All4 website from a Google Chrome tab on a computer to the Chromecast built in to the Nvidia Shield TV Pro?

Couldn't you just cast the All4 app from a smart device, be that a mobile phone or tablet, or even cast the All4 website from a Google Chrome tab on a computer to the Chromecast built in to the Nvidia Shield TV Pro?

all possible assuming you have devices to hand to do it, every person that might want to use all 4 has a device to hand.

all in all a poor user experience

Hi Mallett94
Thanks for the feedback.

I believe an issue there might be casting from a device connected to a VPN to a Chromecast-enabled device, as they will be on different networks?

I guess my question should have been: Which Media PLayer/Device does all that from the list above?

stillspangle

Hi Mallett94
Thanks for the feedback.

I believe an issue there might be casting from a device connected to a VPN to a Chromecast-enabled device, as they will be on different networks?

I guess my question should have been: Which Media PLayer/Device does all that from the list above?

stillspangle

You can cast to a vpn connected device but it does depend on the service/app used. For example if using a provider with openvpn there there is an option to bypass vpn for local networks. I think it’s called split tunnelling.

What display are you using? Is it 4k hdr? If so then you will not get HDR from youtube, google movies and bbc iplayer. None issue if on an SDR screen, thought it was worth a mention.

A box which has everything doesn’t exist, if insistent on only using one device then some compromises have to be made.

A box which has everything doesn’t exist, if insistent on only using one device then some compromises have to be made.

i think a combination of the shield and appletv would probably be the box that does everything.

i think a combination of the shield and appletv would probably be the box that does everything.

That’s the combo I use but even then I am still reliant on using some of the onboard TV apps to fill in the blanks (bbc uhd and Google movies hdr)

That’s the combo I use but even then I am still reliant on using some of the onboard TV apps to fill in the blanks (bbc uhd and Google movies hdr)

ah yeah, iPlayer UHD.
i can't imagine it's a hardware problem on both devices as to why iplayer doesn't serve UHD.

Google movies - on the shield i believe it's because the hardware doesn't support the codec they use? same reason why youtube doesn't get HDR. not sure why appletv wouldn't get it though as that supports youtube HDR.

ah yeah, iPlayer UHD.
i can't imagine it's a hardware problem on both devices as to why iplayer doesn't serve UHD.

Google movies - on the shield i believe it's because the hardware doesn't support the codec they use? same reason why youtube doesn't get HDR. not sure why appletv wouldn't get it though as that supports youtube HDR.

It’s not a hardware problem as I have previously accessed UHD iplayer on my shield via kodi, granted it was sdr, but it was still the uhd/hlg streams, same way some sets from 2016/2017 have access to uhd iplayer but also playback in sdr. I think we have spoke before about this, I am convinced the lack of compatibility on apple devices is due to apple not supporting DASH (I believe the BBC use HLS for iOS and Mac). It’s possible the shield also has the same problem but tbh I have not really looked into it.

The tegra chipset in all the shields is pretty much unchanged since 2015 (die shrinks and clock changes aside) they therefore cannot hardware decode vp9.2, the 2021 ATV4K can but Google have never released a play movies app on the Apple TV.

Shield and firestick 4k is a cheaper option except iPlayer uhd, which used to work on firestick but BBC pulled it.

Then there is the 2019 Gen2 FireTV Cube which I am about to receive and test for my needs tomorrow.
This one supports the sought after BBCiPlayer UHD/HDR/HLG content and should be able to accommodate pretty much all of the list in the OP.

Then there is the FireTV Cube which I am about to receive and test for my needs tomorrow

and by all accounts it's not a very good device, and people would suggest the 4k stick is better than the cube.

and by all accounts it's not a very good device, and people would suggest the 4k stick is better than the cube.
I'll be the judge of that after 2 weeks of use. Watch this space for feedback.

I'll be the judge of that after 2 weeks of use. Watch this space for feedback.

you'll be the judge of it for your own use case, no need for any feedback though :)

Please give us your feedback I'll be interested.

my feedback on the various amazon "fire" devices i've used is that they are all junk.
i'd place Roku devices ahead of any Amazon "fire" device, and i don't rate Roku devices much either, but they are better that "fire" devices in my opinion.

of course, everyone is free to use any device they choose, and if they are happy with it them all the better.

I use a fire stick 4k as a back for things the shield can't do. Like HDR youtube, all4. And for £30 it is a bargain

my TV can do Youtube HDR, but i wouldn't say it's worth £30 to get it though :D

All4, i can cast it from a mobile if the need ever arose (it hasn't so far - my TV doesn't have all4 either due to channel4s absurd business model of restricting access to it as much as possible).

I must admit I mainly use fire TV for Kodi stacked out with add-ons for football sky or BT sport are not showing 🤫 . Kodi on shield is nicely set up for home cinema only.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom