NVIDIA Shield TV + Denon 2700h - NO Dolby Vision option!?

Tomnook80

I've had a look around and can't find this issue posted elsewhere, but seems a fairly big one on the visual front. I have a couple of issues, the largest being the title of the post.

I have a LG CX 48, NVIDIA Shield TV (2019) and a (just delivered) Denon 2700h receiver.

I've had the Shield running perfectly well on my CX, able to process HDR10 and DoVi. I need the Shield HDMI'ed into my Denon to make use of DTS and DTS:X sound tracks. Oddly, however despite the Shield recognising Dolby Vision on the CX when directly plugged in, it refuses to recognise Dolby Vision through the Denon AVR. I've tried various cables and no dice. The fact the same cables work on the LG CX surely means it's the AVR? I can't enable any kind of Dolby Vision option on the Shield TV, as it simply doesn't display - unlike when connected to the OLED.

I've messed around with the 4K/8k Signal Format option on the 2700h and no matter whether it's set to 'standard' or 'enhanced' I get the same issue. I assume I can't be the only one having this problem? Thanks in advance.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd not really be of much assistance to you given the fact that I don't own a Shield so I'd not be the best person to ask regarding the device's configuration and settings.

Last edited:

unoduo

I don’t know if it’s been fixed now but there was an issue with the CX not displaying Dolby Vision if Freesync was enabled on the relevant hdmi input.

Tomnook80

I don’t know if it’s been fixed now but there was an issue with the CX not displaying Dolby Vision if Freesync was enabled on the relevant hdmi input.
Interesting will give this a whirl as I've definitely got FreeSync enable. That said the Shield displays Vision fine through the TV, it's only through the Denon it becomes an issue. The chaps at Peter Tyson have suggested a couple of things to try.

Tomnook80

Mate, you're a superstar. This fixed the issue! Although not sure how well this will work with the Series S which needs both.

next010

Distinguished Member
Mate, you're a superstar. This fixed the issue! Although not sure how well this will work with the Series S which needs both.
It doesnt need Freesync, the TV supports HDMI-VRR which the console uses by default if you enable VRR.

Freesync is there for AMD PC GPU users, Xbox console can optionally use it.

SonyTony

Standard Member
Hi @Tomnook80

I have similar setup to you and am having the same problem
LG 55 CX TV
Denon 2700h
Nvidia Shield pro TV

Did you resolve this?
If so how

Using LG Amaze Dolby Vision UHD 4K Demo.ts as a demo

Through my LG 55 CX connected to LG SmartShare (Which is pants IMHO) and plex the demo file looks great Admitedly photos not brilliant but you get the idea

LG.jpg

Where as on playing the same file via Shield again in plex similar in VLC the colours are way of
This file won't play in kodi

Shield.jpg

SonyTony

Standard Member
It doesnt need Freesync, the TV supports HDMI-VRR which the console uses by default if you enable VRR.

I've checked Freesync is Disabled on the TV's HDMI port as it should be as I'm not connected to AMD PC

Where is the HDMI-VRR setting?

Tomnook80

Hi @Tomnook80

I have similar setup to you and am having the same problem
LG 55 CX TV
Denon 2700h
Nvidia Shield pro TV

Did you resolve this?
If so how

Using LG Amaze Dolby Vision UHD 4K Demo.ts as a demo

Through my LG 55 CX connected to LG SmartShare (Which is pants IMHO) and plex the demo file looks great Admitedly photos not brilliant but you get the idea

View attachment 1569402

Where as on playing the same file via Shield again in plex similar in VLC the colours are way of
This file won't play in kodi

View attachment 1569403
Sorry mate, are you saying its just the Shield not using DoVi? My issues were resolved with taking the AMD Freesync Premium option off of the HDMI input the Denon was attached to via earc. As the Shield goes directly into the Denon.

I never had a colour issue, it would default to HDR instead.

You haven't listed what is connected where so I'm unsure what is happening. If you can let me know exactly how yours is setup I can hopefully give you a hand.

Tomnook80

Nvidia Shield => Denon media Port => LG TV Via HDMI2

Not sure what you mean?
The Dolby Vision file being played on the shield has the wrong colours Triad an MKV fie with same results
I've not had any issues with wrong colours mate as I say above. When I had Freesync Premium on HDMI 2 (the earc port) it didn't allow DoVi but it defaulted to HDR, so no colour issues.

SonyTony

Standard Member
I wasn't sure what "DoVi" was assuming It's Dolby Vision?

OK I'm thinking it might be a cable problem
In the old days of SCART and DVI if a cable wasn't in properly you'd get this kind of colour distortion
However I'm using good quality HDMI 2.0 cables so not 100% convinced it's that

Unless there is a setting somewhere?

Still not found the HDMI-VRR setting that @next010 suggests

next010

Distinguished Member
I wasn't sure what "DoVi" was assuming It's Dolby Vision?

OK I'm thinking it might be a cable problem
In the old days of SCART and DVI if a cable wasn't in properly you'd get this kind of colour distortion
However I'm using good quality HDMI 2.0 cables so not 100% convinced it's that

Unless there is a setting somewhere?

Still not found the HDMI-VRR setting that @next010 suggests

AMD Freesync is a setting on the TV not the AVR, by default its off.

HDMI Forum VRR is on by default on the TV (Instant game response) and its compatible with Dolby Vision so there is no need to disable IGR usually.

Dolby Vision playback is complicated as its not an open format and there are multiple versions of DV and this hardware varies, LG TV has full DV support but other devices will not.

Kodi can only play specifically prepared DV videos in mp4/mkv containers. Plex I think transcodes the video into a hacked DV version.

Try connecting the Shield directly to the TV and use Plex, see if the DV video still breaks, if so then its not the AVR that is the problem.

Lastly you need the 2019 Shield model to be able to play some DV through it.

SonyTony

Standard Member
Try connecting the Shield directly to the TV and use Plex, see if the DV video still breaks, if so then its not the AVR that is the problem.

Lastly you need the 2019 Shield model to be able to play some DV through it.
That solved it thanx
unplugged HDMI from back of AV and into shield

When I tuned on the Shield it asked if wanted to activate Dolby Vision
Obviously I said yes

No idea where this setting is to change it manually

The test file worked in Plex

Reconnected the AV tried again sill worked sadly not in kodi

Kodi can only play specifically prepared DV videos in mp4/mkv containers.

Any idea what these are? I'll use Handbreak to recode

SonyTony

Standard Member
After more testing This file plays in kodi

Video​

ID :1
Format :HEVC
Format/Info :High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile :Main [email protected]@Main
HDR format :Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Codec ID :dvhe
Codec ID/Info :High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision

Not 100% sure atmos is being recognised as not coming up on G TV as so

Audio​

ID :2
Format :E-AC-3 JOC
Format/Info :Enhanced AC-3 with Joint Object Coding
Commercial name :Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID :ec-3

dante01

Distinguished Member
That solved it thanx
unplugged HDMI from back of AV and into shield

When I tuned on the Shield it asked if wanted to activate Dolby Vision
Obviously I said yes

No idea where this setting is to change it manually

The test file worked in Plex

Reconnected the AV tried again sill worked sadly not in kodi

Any idea what these are? I'll use Handbreak to recode

Handbrake will strip out DV and leave you with just HDR10.

HandBrake will only handle HDR10 metadata. HDR10+ and Dolby Vision is currently not supported.

SonyTony

Standard Member
Handbrake will strip out DV and leave you with just HDR10.

Yeah my mistake

I'm sure I read away of converting single layer DV somewhere probably on the MakeMKV forums that kodi can play which is outside the scope of this thread

The Test file I quoted "LG Amaze Dolby Vision UHD 4K Demo.ts" is a .ts which is probably why kodi can't play it even though the codec is slightly different to the .mkv file above that will play

HDR format :Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU

If the file works in plex, is there much need to get it to work in Kodi? I find plex much better to use than Kodi for managing my back ups.

As to kodi vs plex for playing media surely that is personal preference? Personally I prefer kodi's GUI

Backing up media is totally different which I'm pretty certain neither kodi or plax can do

dante01

Distinguished Member
MakeMKV will rip Dolby Vision metadata without you having to do anything. Simply don't then use Handbrake or that metadata will be stripped out and only the HDR10 metadata will remain.

The player you iuse will obviously need to be DV compliant in order to read the DV metadata though.

Last edited:

chopples

Distinguished Member
Yeah my mistake

I'm sure I read away of converting single layer DV somewhere probably on the MakeMKV forums that kodi can play which is outside the scope of this thread

The Test file I quoted "LG Amaze Dolby Vision UHD 4K Demo.ts" is a .ts which is probably why kodi can't play it even though the codec is slightly different to the .mkv file above that will play

As to kodi vs plex for playing media surely that is personal preference? Personally I prefer kodi's GUI

Backing up media is totally different which I'm pretty certain neither kodi or plax can do

Hi mate

I Cant see support being added to kodi until version 20 but even that’s up in the air

That being said there is a custom version with support added which could be worth trying?

Adziadam

Yeah my mistake

Backing up media is a case of using makemkv with a firmware flashed disc drive. This will get you 1;1 disc back ups but file sizes can be quite big.

If your talking about playing DV movies that are streamed from the net then you can never trust the person who uploaded as they are not always 1:1 copies.

I also have a shield 2019 model and a nas drive so plex server Is running on shield which plays my backup dvds. I'm too lazy to put discs in.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp