Nvidia Shield or Fire TV?

I've been a long time user of Amazon Fire Stick and I don't have any issues with it but I'm wondering if my HT would benefit more by using the higher end Shield. I recently upgraded to the Denon AVR-X3500H and I feel like the firestick doesn't output sound in a way that really enhances the experience. It's mostly DD+ but I know the receiver can do so much more. Is it worth it to get the $200 Nvidia Shield? Will it make things sound/look better than the Firestick? All of my watching is digital via Hulu, Prime, Netflix, Stremio.

TV: Vizio PX75-G1
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3500H
Surround: Def Tech Pro Cinema

mtenga

Distinguished Member
You are limited by the audio provided by the streaming providers which presumably is DD+ (Atmos) at best. That certainly is the case on Prime and Netflix but don’t know about the other two. The Shield comes into its own with better source audio typically from your own ripped material. So no point really, if that is your only consideration.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
As above, the Shield can Passthrough TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DTS-X, Dolby Atmos etc. Everything you can throw at it.

Netflix, Prime etc have Atmos, but it's a much lower bitrate of Atmos using DD+ instead of the TrueHD you'd get on a disc.
You're currently limited by your streaming service as much as your device.

I see and that makes sense. Thanks for the input. Since I don't have my own sources (disc, DL, etc.) and only stream, I'm at the will of the streaming service. Unfortunately, that's where I'm stuck right now so I guess I'll stay with the firestick. I appreciate your help!

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom