nVidia Shield - How do I get Dolby Atmos on Netflix? Only see DD+ now

Hoggorm

Novice Member
Hello,

New owner of a Shield here.

From the Netflix help pages I see that the nVidia Shield should be able to stream Dolby Atmos.

How to use Netflix on your Nvidia Shield TV Android streaming media player

The following Nvidia Shield TV Android streaming media players support Dolby Atmos:
Shield TV (2019)
Shield TV Pro (2019)

Now when I stream a movie indicating Atmos support I still only get DD+

Is there a setting I need to take a look at in my Shield?

chenks

Is the shield connected to a device that supports atmos?

Also remember the Netflix does atmos via dd+

Hoggorm

Novice Member
Thank you chenks for coming back to me!

Yes, my AVR supports Atmos.

I am still somewhat confused. DD+ is a lossy signal, while Atmos is lossless? Do you have some documentation that Netflix streams Atmos via DD+?

My current setup is nVidia Shield -> Denon AVR-X1400H -> LG OLED55C8PLA.

If I stream a file from my Plex server I see (for example) DolbyTrueHD on my AVR when a lossless signal is played.

Before I got the nVidia Shield I streamed Netflix audio directly from my LG TV to my AVR via HDMI ARC. This setup can't play lossless signals as far as I understand, but it still said DD+.

Now my setup is able to play lossless signals, but since it still only say DD+ as you say, how can I be sure what signal I actually get?

chenks

Netflix doesn’t do lossless atmos
As mentioned, it does atmos via dd+ (as do all the streaming services)

The content you are playing in plex has been ripped from a Blu-ray Disc which does do lossless atmos

Last edited:

Hoggorm

Novice Member
Yeah, I got you.

I was under the impression that a requirement for Atmos was lossless audio. I now understand that it is more a "feature" and can still be played using lossy sources.

Thank you for the information.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom