NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

I'm with the finger on the trigger for a Shield TV Pro. Anyone with a C9 and a Shield 2019 can confirm what is the upscaling like? So, for 1080p content etc. I usually watch 4K and HDR/DV when possible but some bluray remuxes at 1080p etc, just want to know if the upscaling in the shield is at least on par with the TVs.

I have a shield pro 2019, and I'm looking for a simple external hard drive that will work with 4k Blu-ray files in the 60gb+ range.

I've seen the WD Elements and My Passport. Seagate have their back up plus range.

I'm just after something simple to play the files on either plex/emby or kodi.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a shield pro 2019, and I'm looking for a simple external hard drive that will work with 4k Blu-ray files in the 60gb+ range.

I've seen the WD Elements and My Passport. Seagate have their back up plus range.

I'm just after something simple to play the files on either plex/emby or kodi.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was running out of storage on my NAS and decided to plug in a external drive that includes my own Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray UHD discs and they work fine.

12TB Amazon product ASIN B07VXKF1L4
8TB Amazon product ASIN B07DQBFQ2D

I would have bought this had it been this pricepoint
14TB WD Elements Desktop | Western Digital Store - £199 for 14TB!!!!

The WD ones seem to go to sleep after a while so there can be a slight delay in selecting a movie and it spinning up and playing, but performance wise both are great, I can transfer from my wired PC to both makes via the NAS at 110MB/s.

Get the biggest one you can afford I haven't even finished ripping my library and I am at almost 7TB used. This is just temporary until I can buy and expansion unit for my NAS and whack in 16TB drives.

I bought a 12TD WD drive recently from an offer on HotUKDeals. Has worked great so far, made 1:1 mkv copies of my Blurays and the Shield is playing them back without issue.

Thinking of buying one of these to back up my nas, any good?

Thinking of buying one of these to back up my nas, any good?
If your goal is to playback local media with full lossless audio then the Shield is generally the best option. Nvidia have been releasing software updates for 5 years now so it's supported well by the the manufacturer and has a large user base who can help with any setup issues.

I have been umming and ahhhing about picking up a 2019 Pro to complement my new TV.... this has made me think twice.

I use Alexa so the 4k fire TV box may be a better option...

Happy to be convinced otherwise though.

I saw this review, perhaps you could consider the 2017 model instead.

I have been umming and ahhhing about picking up a 2019 Pro to complement my new TV.... this has made me think twice.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
I use Alexa so the 4k fire TV box may be a better option...

Happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Hi mate, it's pretty well known that the upgrades in the 2019 box is based around two features (Dolby vision and ai upscaling)

Depends on what you want from the device but personally I would only consider the fire tv box if I was on a budget and do not require lossless audio, but tbh if that was the case then I would probably just use the built in TV apps.

FWIW for uhd rips I would take any variant of the shield, going back to the og 2015 version over any Amazon box.

Hi mate, it's pretty well known that the upgrades in the 2019 box is based around two features (Dolby vision and ai upscaling)
Ab
Depends on what you want from the device but personally I would only consider the fire tv box if I was on a budget and do not require lossless audio, but tbh if that was the case then I would probably just use the built in TV apps.​

FWIW for uhd rips I would take any variant of the shield, going back to the og 2015 version over any Amazon box.
My issue is Amazon integration.... yup I went Amazon instead of Google...!!! As far as I know the shield cant integrate for automation like the Fire TV box.

I dont have my Q90R soundbar yet (still need to convince the Mrs another bag is good value) so the fire TV doesn't seem to me to be compromise.

I get the AI upsacaling, and yeah that is another level up on the fire TV, but is it a deal breaker?

Everyone I know.... raves about the shield and I get why, but it's that integration and the video doesnt help with regard the chip and the "25%" figure etc.

Maybe a suck it and see approach?

I'm with the finger on the trigger for a Shield TV Pro. Anyone with a C9 and a Shield 2019 can confirm what is the upscaling like? So, for 1080p content etc. I usually watch 4K and HDR/DV when possible but some bluray remuxes at 1080p etc, just want to know if the upscaling in the shield is at least on par with the TVs.

I'm not an expert, but I have a c9 as well as the shield pro, The C9 has pretty good processing already, but I do think the shield has the edge.

Quick follow up Q. I've noticed that, when switching sources or apps, my shield will sometimes switch to static, with an almost tearing noise. Pressing the back button will fix it easily, but if it's a problem with the shield, I'd rather get it fixed in the first 30 days.

If I had to chose Shield of Fire TV, Shield wins every time. Plays all my rips (Blu-ray and 4K) with lossless audio without any issues. Also the Shield homescreen is just less buys then the Amazon one. But if you have no need for the extra horse power then I can see how the cheaper Fire TV would be desirable.

Does the Refresh Rate app work for others?
I've just got the latest ShieldTV (tube) and trying to set it up. Auto frame rate switching doesn't seem to work in Netflix, YouTube, Amazon or Disney+.

I can manually switch most of those using the Shields beta feature, although this doesn't work with Amazon as it says there's an HDCP issue after manually switching, Disney+ seems to stop the video and the refresh rate switches back to default.

Plex auto switches fine after I updated the setting in the Plex app.

Last edited:
Does the Refresh Rate app work for others?
I've just got the latest ShieldTV (tube) and trying to set it up. Auto frame rate switching doesn't seem to work in Netflix, YouTube, Amazon or Disney+.

I can manually switch most of those using the Shields beta feature, although this doesn't work with Amazon as it says there's an HDCP issue after manually switching, Disney+ seems to stop the video and the refresh rate switches back to default.

Plex auto switches fine after I updated the setting in the Plex app.

It does. Have you followed the instructions as they are important to follow.

Amazon has a bug with it when trying to change the refresh rate but the rest work fine with it.

Hmm, based on this post on the D+ site I suspect they force you to 60fps.
"Video frame rate is the number of individual frames or images that are displayed per second in a video display. It affects how clear your video appears. Most Disney+ content has video frame rates of 24 or 30 frames per second, which are commonly used for movies and TV shows.

Refresh rate is the number of times per second that a video display refreshes its image. The best refresh rate depends on the video frame rate of the video. Disney+ content is best displayed at a refresh rate of 60hz, or a multiple of 60hz. Most TVs and set-top-boxes are able to detect the video frame rate and automatically adjust their display to best match the source video."

Just jumped...

No doubt I'll be on here asking all sorts of stupid questions very soon.

You can see price history from here

I doubt if it will come down in price any time soon.

Do you have a good place to buy the pro version for a good price?
I got 6.5% off through work discount with Curry's PC world... brought it down from £199.00 by about 13 quid... best I could find.

I can't get disney+ app to output Dolby Atmos now that bandwidth is lifted. I'm outputting to non 4k monitor but would this limit Dolby Atmos output. Netflix and Kodi passthrough Atmos in shield with no issues

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom