NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Q1. If you set AI up scaling on the NS, how does it impact the ups calling from the TV when you watch a 4K movie using Plex etc. I would have thought it could only cause confusion to the TV. Is it automatical disable?
Since the Shield will do the upscaling of anything with a resolution below 4k, the TV receives a 4k feed and won't touch it.
There's obviously no upscaling required for 4k sources... unless you have an 8k TV? Dunno if the Shield can upscale above 4k. If it does then the TV receives an 8k signal and doesn't apply any further upscaling, otherwise the TV will upscale from 4k to 8k.

Q2. Resolution. Do you have to keep adjusting the resolution, depending on what you are watching or is it automated? For instance, my resolution says 4K 59.940 Hz DV ready & HDR10 ready. I have DV switched on. That seems appropriate for Netflix but what if I run a film via Plex at 24 Hz in HDR? Will the NS sort it out automaticall?In custom Display Modes there are a choice of 85 modes. Does the NS pick the appropriate bit depth for my TV or am I supposed to pick one depending on what’s being played?
Turn on automatic refresh rate switching in your player (Plex, Kodi, etc). You won't have to worry about making any manual changes.
You'll want to also turn on automatic colour space switching in the Shield's settings so it moves between Rec709 and BT2020 depending on your source material.

Last edited:
I have to change it to DV and HDR10 ready if I want to watch something in Dolby vision,Jellyfin switches to HDR automatically but I have to have DV and HDR10 ready if I want to watch HDR on kodi or it plays in 4k,i don't think AI upscaling works on 4k but I might be wrong

HDR switches automatically but only seems to show it in 8bit if HDR10 ready or DV is not enabled,it does on my TV anyway

Since the Shield will do the upscaling of anything with a resolution below 4k, the TV receives a 4k feed and won't touch it.
There's obviously no upscaling required for 4k sources... unless you have an 8k TV? Dunno if the Shield can upscale above 4k. If it does then the TV receives an 8k signal and doesn't apply any further upscaling, otherwise the TV will upscale from 4k to 8k.

Turn on automatic refresh rate switching in your player (Plex, Kodi, etc). You won't have to worry about making any manual changes.
You'll want to also turn on automatic colour space switching in the Shield's settings so it moves between Rec709 and BT2020 depending on your source material.
Thank you. Your answers are very helpful.

I had the colour space aspect on. Is the refresh rate switching the one in beta on the Shield? How do I switch that on? I have it in Quick Settings but it is not obvious if it is running? I see they have removed the option from within Plex.

I enabled DV & HDR10 in Custom Display Modes and you then get an option to switch on DV. I did and tried it with Netflix. That resulted in an all pink screen when I tried to watch Altered Carbon. Do you have any idea when you actually turn DV on using the switch in settings?

Thanks for the explanation of how the upscaling works. I saw it would not work with low resolutions but the manual does not explain what happens at 4K.

Thank you.

The Shield's refresh rate switching is in beta and if I'm not mistaken one must turn it on manually each time something is played.
I don't use Plex myself but I saw an option for this feature. Kodi has one too and it's fully automatic: turn it on once and forget about it, works with 23.976, 24 and 25 Hz from what I've tested.
The pink screen for DV in Plex might be caused by their new player, I recall reading something similar from someone who was testing a .ts remux from a DV UHD disc. The new player can be deactivated in Plex settings, apparently. Hopefully that will solve it for you...

LE- Had a look in Plex:
1) Settings - Advanced - Refresh Rate Switching: turn on
2) Settings - Advanced - Enable New Video player: turn off

Last edited:
You dont need to manually switch Dolby Vision on in the sub menu if you have set your main resolution to DV and HDR10 Netflix will autodetect DV or HDR, it does on mine anyway

The Shield's refresh rate switching is in beta and if I'm not mistaken one must turn it on manually each time something is played.
I don't use Plex myself but I saw an option for this feature. Kodi has one too and it's fully automatic: turn it on once and forget about it, works with 23.976, 24 and 25 Hz from what I've tested.
The pink screen for DV in Plex might be caused by their new player, I recall reading something similar from someone who was testing a .ts remux from a DV UHD disc. The new player can be deactivated in Plex settings, apparently. Hopefully that will solve it for you...

LE- Had a look in Plex:
1) Settings - Advanced - Refresh Rate Switching: turn on
2) Settings - Advanced - Enable New Video player: turn off
Hiya,

Thanks for these pointers. However, I can't find either of those options on my Synology NAS server. I'm not using the NS Plex server - did you see them on that by any chance? Which version of Plex did you see those options on? I can't see Enable New Video Player in any of the advanced options on my server either (I have advanced options on).

I read a number of articles earlier saying that the refresh rate switching had been removed in a late 2019 update of Plex.

edit: I found them in the Plex Client on the Shield. Thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
@Sluggster
Welcome!
If the Plex server version on the NAS is lacking features and can't be upgraded, you might consider using the version on the Shield.
I've found that I can set up a library for it off a HDD I have connected to my router (attached to the Shield using the "network storage" option in Shield settings) and it remains available to other devices on the home network even when the Shield Pro is in sleep mode. Pretty nifty feature :)

Not specific to the Shield, but I wonder if anyone can offer a suggestion:

I find that even the minimum subtitle size (12) available in Kodi is too large for a 65" TV at 2.3m.
Does anyone know of a way to decrease the subtitle size further?
I've tried modifying the value in guisettings.xml but Kodi ignores it and reverts to size 18 :(

Not specific to the Shield, but I wonder if anyone can offer a suggestion:

I find that even the minimum subtitle size (12) available in Kodi is too large for a 65" TV at 2.3m.
Does anyone know of a way to decrease the subtitle size further?
I've tried modifying the value in guisettings.xml but Kodi ignores it and reverts to size 18 :(
I noticed this as well. There is some settings in the settings section. Think under appearance. but they made no difference.

Hiya,

Thanks for these pointers. However, I can't find either of those options on my Synology NAS server. I'm not using the NS Plex server - did you see them on that by any chance? Which version of Plex did you see those options on? I can't see Enable New Video Player in any of the advanced options on my server either (I have advanced options on).

I read a number of articles earlier saying that the refresh rate switching had been removed in a late 2019 update of Plex.

Thanks for your help.
@Sluggster
Welcome!
If the Plex server version on the NAS is lacking features and can't be upgraded, you might consider using the version on the Shield.
I've found that I can set up a library for it off a HDD I have connected to my router (attached to the Shield using the "network storage" option in Shield settings) and it remains available to other devices on the home network even when the Shield Pro is in sleep mode. Pretty nifty feature :)
Hiya,

The Synology server seems to be doing a good job of 4K using the NS as a Plex client and I have been playing with Kodi today as a back up. Which also seems to be working.

I think I have the NS, AVR and TV aligned for a good picture & sound now but still not 100%. I think that only a bit of experience and tweaking as I go along will perfect everything.

Really appreciate the help. Thanks.

After digging around I just wanted someone to confirm some things for me The 2015/2017 cannot do Dolby Vision so therefore Dolby Atmos won't be supported in Netflix/Disney+. Ive just bought the LG C9 & the tv apps & Xbox One X apps support it fine. I dont want to upgrade unnecessarily.

After digging around I just wanted someone to confirm some things for me The 2015/2017 cannot do Dolby Vision so therefore Dolby Atmos won't be supported in Netflix/Disney+. Ive just bought the LG C9 & the tv apps & Xbox One X apps support it fine. I dont want to upgrade unnecessarily.

Atmos is supported via Disney plus on the older shield boxes, just not in the UK due to the bandwith restrictions.

Atmos from Netflix does not work via the app on the older shield but does via Kodi.

As you have access to devices which already support both (the lg will support Atmos and DV from both Netflix and Disney) then the main reason to get the new box would be to take advantage of the ai upscaling.

So is the Atmos issue on Disney+ due to the current situation or ongoing? Theoretically if I downloaded a movie with Dolby Vision & Atmos would the Shield play it correctly or is it simply not capable?

So is the Atmos issue on Disney+ due to the current situation or ongoing? Theoretically if I downloaded a movie with Dolby Vision & Atmos would the Shield play it correctly or is it simply not capable?
you will not get atmos with Disney on any device in the UK At the moment. There is workarounds using vpn or smartdns. Basically accessing USA Disney servers which does have atmos.

The old shield will play 4K hdr10 rips with full atmos. No to Dolby Vision in any scenario.

With regards to ripping UHD movies, there has been a lot of progress in terms of creating truly authentic Dolby Vision backups complete with lossless and immersive audio which can work on devices such as the new shield, The Process requires the use of a few apps and results in a .ts file with the 1080p DV layer being added over a 4K sdr base layer. Defo one for the future, especially once working within an mkv, but in the short term at least I think most will just be continuing to rip UHD into a HDR10 mkv.

That pretty much covers everything. Thank you much appreciated

Having just sold my original Shield Pro 500GB that I used since launch, I've just had to order the new Pro after finding out the hard way that my LG telly will not passthrough HD audio over earc!

For reference, curry's currently have them in stock with free next day delivery via a code available on the shield page. You can also click and collect next day too.

I'm not expecting things to feel much different although my old Pro got a bit sluggish at times so hoping everything feels snappy. DV support is always nice and will be interesting to see how good the AI upscaling is!

So got my new Shield and lots of fun setting up my Harmony remote. Now looking at the AI stuff I assume I want to set to AI-Enhanced?

Yep! AI-Enhanced and set to medium i think High is a little to harsh on the picture, you can of course enter it into demo mode and test it for yourself on the fly

UPDATE: buying new Ultra Premium certified cables did the trick - vastly improved connection now. Clearly the SHIELD's or XBOX One Controller's Bluetooth connection is sensitive to HDMI interference. There is still some interference; it could be the Bluetooth from the magic remote or the wireless subwoofer (Sony HT-XF9000), but it's much better and works most of the time.

Original post below:

Does anyone have experience with the SHIELD 2019 Tube's Bluetooth performance?

I had no connection issues with my Bluetooth XBOX One controller when the Shield TV (2019 tube) was shoved in the back of a glass fronted TV cabinet behind my wireless router, buried in cables. I've now wall mounted a new TV (LG B9 OLED) and cannot get a reliable Bluetooth connection when the SHIELD is mounted behind the TV on the wall, or below the TV mounted to the inside of the chimney behind the soundbar. In both positions, the analog sticks, D-pad and button presses are only erratically registered. I have 2 controllers and they both behave the same.

I can get a good connection if I move the SHIELD above the TV or below the soundbar so its visible and has direct line of sight. The SHIELD remote has no issue in either location and works from outside the room; its only the XBOX One controller that is having problems. I have tried a few things to isolate the problem but no luck.

1. Change batteries in XBOX One controller and check firmware is updated.
2. Swap new HDMI cables back to old cables in case the new cables were causing interference. I have bought Ultra Premium certified cables (with the hologram) and when they arrive I will swap them out to double check it's not interference.
3. Disable Wifi on the TV and SHIELD and Bluetooth on the soundbar.
4. Unpair and repair controller.

The TV is LG so uses Bluetooth for the remote which I can't disable. Is this the expected behaviour? Does the SHIELD Bluetooth connection need line of sight?

Picture 1 shows the controller relative to the Shield when its working:
IMG_20200610_154354112 (Small).jpg

Picture 2 shows the controller in a position when all signal is lost:
IMG_20200610_154334551 (Small).jpg

Due to the pipebomb design with cables plugged in front and back of the Tube, there is no easy way to mount it on the wall with line of sight without ruining the aesthetic (see 3rd picture).
IMG_20200610_163636859 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow I didn’t realise this supported HDR on YouTube I thought it still wouldn’t be supported due to google using PV9 and Shield not supporting it but I just tried one to have a look and it’s triggering the HDR mode.

edit: having said that it’s really struggling to play those videos, either really choppy playback or the video freezes and only the audio continues. Also only one video out of the dozen I tried actually gave me a 4K playback option.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom