NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Out of Stock already on the nVidia site..

Their back in stock at Nvidia UK. Just ordered one.

Hey, I'm looking for some cheap second and third controllers for couch co-op on my shield. My preference is a PS4 Controller, but at around £40 a pop, they are expensive for what I want them for.

Has anyone tried, the likes of these:

#Aliexpress £12.36 36%OFF | For Sony PS4 Controller Bluetooth Vibration Gamepad For Playstation 4 Detroit Wireless Joystick For PS4 Games ConsoL

£12-£15 delivered seems good.

- this one actually says only works on PS4, why would that be? The other listings say work on PS4, PS3, PC, Mobiles etc etc. They are £15 as opposed to £12.

Need help please people :) Had 2017 sheild and 11 year old samsung tv and loved it, very easy to set up. Now yesterday my new lg C9 came and I also got 2019 Sheild pro to go with it. Got it all set up and all working. Choose 4k@60hz as resolution but need help with colour settings. I have no clue what settings too choose :confused: I understand C9 has 10bit panel so shield needs to be adjusted for that. Can anybody help please :D

Hi all,

Am looking for some guidance as to the best display settings to have the Shield Pro and Kodi app set on?
I watched a film through Kodi last night from my NAS and although it wad barely noticeable I felt something wasn't quite right with the refresh rate, it didn't always look totally smooth -
The display being used is a Samsung Q900R 8k.

TIA

I take it in Kodi under system -> player -> in the playback section you've set adjust display refresh rate to enable it?

I take it in Kodi under system -> player -> in the playback section you've set adjust display refresh rate to enable it?
I'm sure I didn't have these settings before, would a Kodi update and Nvidia update have changed them?
IMG_2412.jpegIMG_2413.jpeg

Argh I have a different Old Skool skin, just flicked back to default skin and it below settings - player - videos

17B15E40-F449-44F5-93B6-BA553A18FC3E.jpeg

Also does your tv support 4k@60hz and hdr if so I’d expect to see that in your resolution screen unless the HDMI port is not a full fat 18gb port or it has its setting set to not be enhanced or similar for your manufacturer

7AEBA648-C81D-449C-AA34-D3B73B39DDE8.jpeg

Also does your tv support 4k@60hz and hdr if so I’d expect to see that in your resolution screen unless the HDMI port is not a full fat 18gb port or it has its setting set to not be enhanced or similar for your manufacturer

View attachment 1310661
I'm sure it does as it's an 8k TV, however I have the Shield connected into my Denon Amp which then feeds into the TV?

You may need to ensure both the amp and tv are set to full enhanced 18gb for me I have to do it in the Denon hdmi section and on my panasonic tv

That's separate to your refresh rate thing anyway

Or both.. :)

For the TV look under hdmi settings, input signal plus and turn on for the appropriate port, It is turned off by default

Quick review of the shield pro. It may be an expensive android box but we'll worth the money. On my setup it's replaced a htpc running Kodi and a satellite receiver. Now setup shield with Kodi and ext. hdd, Netflix and Disney+ with everything running silky smooth. Passthrough of Dolby Atmos using Kodi and Netflix. Also setup IPTV again with silky smooth experience. Great all in one box and once I get a controller it'll satisfy my part time gaming itch with retrogaming! All this from a tiny box.

Proper streaming box. 100% recommended 👍🏼

I was planning on updating my 2015 (?) model but had so much time to think about it waiting for them to come back in stock that I think I’ve talked myself out of it!

I only use my current one for playing my ripped files (with lossless audio) on my NAS and recently started playing Back files via my Oppo 4K BD player (out of sheer laziness after watching a Blu-ray) - still gives me the best quality without having to mess around with settings (frame-rates etc); obviously it just doesn’t have the library interface of something like Plex or Kodi.

Netflix and Amazon look great through my Apple TV - so I’m kind of hard pressed to think of a reason I need a new Shield. I have a shed-load of ‘digital locker’ films on Google Play movies but never watch them on that app as I find the quality poor, and why would I when I have the discs or back-up rips.

One word AI Upscaling, sorry that’s 2 words... I did the same as you, used to use Shield all the time for everything, especially Plex and my own ripped films, worked very well and great interface. Later got an ATV4K as that did Netflix and Amazon better with DV / ATMOS etc, so then used 2 devices. Then got the Oppo 203, used it mainly for DV rips, which was great and now meant I used 3 devices.. So later tested the 203 with non DV content, realised it’s picture quality was much better, but interface still clunky, ok for me, but not the family... So casual watching local content the Shield get used, but if I’m setting it up and watching a good even non DV film I’ll fire up the 203.. Now changed my 2017 to a 2019 last week as saw it come back into stock and wanted to try it, wow the picture is better than my 2017 by quite a way I think.. maybe up there with the 203, not 100% sure yet, but it does Plex, Netflix and Amazon all very well, the last 2 with DV as obviously Plex has no DV, but now rather than clunking through the 203 menus to watch both DV and non DV content, I’ve now gone back to only watching it for DV rips..

Depend
I've just ordered a Pro for myself. Any tips on things I should install on it first?
Depends what you watch, just watch what you use, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon etc. I also use YouTube and Plex running off my NAS..

Now changed my 2017 to a 2019 last week as saw it come back into stock and wanted to try it, wow the picture is better than my 2017 by quite a way I think.. maybe up there with the 203, not 100% sure yet, but it does Plex, Netflix and Amazon all very well, the last 2 with DV as obviously Plex has no DV, but now rather than clunking through the 203 menus to watch both DV and non DV content, I’ve now gone back to only watching it for DV rips..
Oh balls I think you just made me want to upgrade.

One word AI Upscaling, sorry that’s 2 words... I did the same as you, used to use Shield all the time for everything, especially Plex and my own ripped films, worked very well and great interface. Later got an ATV4K as that did Netflix and Amazon better with DV / ATMOS etc, so then used 2 devices. Then got the Oppo 203, used it mainly for DV rips, which was great and now meant I used 3 devices.. So later tested the 203 with non DV content, realised it’s picture quality was much better, but interface still clunky, ok for me, but not the family... So casual watching local content the Shield get used, but if I’m setting it up and watching a good even non DV film I’ll fire up the 203.. Now changed my 2017 to a 2019 last week as saw it come back into stock and wanted to try it, wow the picture is better than my 2017 by quite a way I think.. maybe up there with the 203, not 100% sure yet, but it does Plex, Netflix and Amazon all very well, the last 2 with DV as obviously Plex has no DV, but now rather than clunking through the 203 menus to watch both DV and non DV content, I’ve now gone back to only watching it for DV rips..
Plex can do DV. I have a couple of sample videos and Dolby vision is displayed

Yeah it's single layer or something. But I have a couple of Atmos test vids in DV that look and sound amazing

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom