NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Thought Id try Disney plus trial, few things I might watch but all content is only in stereo, unbelievable. Oh well will get content usual way😉

Thought Id try Disney plus trial, few things I might watch but all content is only in stereo, unbelievable. Oh well will get content usual way😉

Is this through your shield mate? Maybe double check your set up? Force quit. Restart etc. I'm still waiting on my shield but I've got a Sony Android ZF9 TV which has eARC and is obviously the same operating system albeit on lesser hardware and I've had issues with sound output to my soundbar. Had to restart the app and the TV several times to get it working. Was getting no sound, stereo and did eventually get 5.1. Not sure if that will help. You've probably already tried all that 😂.

Sidebar. Is anyone with the shield getting Dolby Atmos with Disney +? My TV supports it but I'm not getting it. Usually get it through Netflix

Is this through your shield mate? Maybe double check your set up? Force quit. Restart etc. I'm still waiting on my shield but I've got a Sony Android ZF9 TV which has eARC and is obviously the same operating system albeit on lesser hardware and I've had issues with sound output to my soundbar. Had to restart the app and the TV several times to get it working. Was getting no sound, stereo and did eventually get 5.1. Not sure if that will help. You've probably already tried all that 😂.

Sidebar. Is anyone with the shield getting Dolby Atmos with Disney +? My TV supports it but I'm not getting it. Usually get it through Netflix

Hi mate, Like other streaming services Disney are limiting bandwidth atm in Europe, one of their measures has been to remove the atmos soundtrack.

If desperate you can work around this by using a vpn/dns and accessing the USA streams

Hi mate, Like other streaming services Disney are limiting bandwidth atm in Europe, one of their measures has been to remove the atmos soundtrack.

If desperate you can work around this by using a vpn/dns and accessing the USA streams

Aww aye I didn't think about that. I knew they were limiting the bitrate for video but didn't think of the audio at all. That makes sense! Thanks man. I've got express VPN! Didn't even think about using that. Head's all over the place :laugh:

Would using a vpn to get on a US server work for 4k content as well?
I cant seem to get 4k content on disney plus, have a solid 65Mbps

Is anyone finding that the screen periodically goes black but the sound continues during playback when watching Disney+? We're watching Disney+ US via VPN and about once an episode of the Marvel cartoons it happens. Easily fixed by pressing backup and then enter but an annoyance nonetheless.

Would using a vpn to get on a US server work for 4k content as well?
I cant seem to get 4k content on disney plus, have a solid 65Mbps

Nope that didnt work, on a US server, and still not 4k.

Is anyone finding that the screen periodically goes black but the sound continues during playback when watching Disney+? We're watching Disney+ US via VPN and about once an episode of the Marvel cartoons it happens. Easily fixed by pressing backup and then enter but an annoyance nonetheless.

Just tried the same and works for me, presume you've tried the restart whole thing?

I use Disney plus on my atv and not my shield but with the atv version DNS/VPN is only checked upon startup of the app. Therefore we can turn of the VPN/DNS and playback is fine (including Atmos). This step has to repeated if the app is closed down due to memory management or a box restart etc...

Maybe it's the same on the shield? No idea but it's worth a go

I did wonder that as well.
Yet, for example Frozen 2 is available in the US and not the UK version of disney yet.
When on vpn, disney is showing frozen 2, so I can assume it thinks I am in the US.
Still no 4k tho

I did wonder that as well.
Yet, for example Frozen 2 is available in the US and not the UK version of disney yet.
When on vpn, disney is showing frozen 2, so I can assume it thinks I am in the US.
Still no 4k tho

If your VPN isn't fast enough then it won't be mate, and in my experience very few are

Just tried the same and works for me, presume you've tried the restart whole thing?
Yeah, doesn't seem to make a difference. The weird thing is it only seems to affect the Marvel cartoons - The Simpsons and Aladdin (watched yesterday) play fine.

HI All

I appreciate this might not be in the correct forum. I have a 2017 sheld through a Yamaha 673 Amp.
Problem is the amp will only allow the Shield to operate at 1080p due to HDCP 1.2 restrictions on the Amp. So options are to buy a new amp which makes no sense as current amp works fine so obvious option is maybe a HDCP splitter to run the Shield to and then split the sound to the amp and the 4K signal to the TV.

Does anyone have a recomendation to maybe help my situation.

Hi all, have a 2015 shield and have been trying to play 4k HDR content to my 1080p projector. It plays fine, but the 2020 to 709 conversation leaves colours v weak. Anyway around this, without stating the obvious or does the latest version convert alot better?

Thanks

Hi all, have a 2015 shield and have been trying to play 4k HDR content to my 1080p projector. It plays fine, but the 2020 to 709 conversation leaves colours v weak. Anyway around this, without stating the obvious or does the latest version convert alot better?

Thanks

Afraid not mate, prior to replacing my PJ for a HDR compatible one I just ripped a second 1080p version for using on the PJ. UHDs typically come with both versions anyway

I'm having a little issue with something, the streaming apps on my 2017 Shield are not producing 5.1 sound at all, just PCM 2.1, this is from Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime, streaming from my internal NAS via Kodi is fine and will happily play 5.1 so i'm pretty sure all is well with the actual Shield device settings, also Google Play is fine and shows PCM 5.1.

Is this just because of the current corona situation where they have limited things? I don't usually use the Shield for streaming as the apps on the TV work great for me and I have DV but just wanted to test something today and noticed the lack of 5.1.

Hi - I've got a gen 1 Shield and last night it started to have problems planning HDR content via Kodi.

It seems to play 1080p (non HDR) stuff fine and 4k (non HDR) ok, however when I play a mkv that's 4k HDR, it plays for about 5 seconds and then the picture just freezes.

The kodi remote seems to function ok, but won't play more than a few seconds of video.

It's been working fine for a few years :(

Thanks in advance

Hi - I've got a gen 1 Shield and last night it started to have problems planning HDR content via Kodi.

It seems to play 1080p (non HDR) stuff fine and 4k (non HDR) ok, however when I play a mkv that's 4k HDR, it plays for about 5 seconds and then the picture just freezes.

The kodi remote seems to function ok, but won't play more than a few seconds of video.

It's been working fine for a few years :(

Thanks in advance

Did you try going into the Apps section on the Shield and clearing Kodi's cache?

If that doesn't work a reinstall of Kodi might do the trcik.

Did you try going into the Apps section on the Shield and clearing Kodi's cache?

If that doesn't work a reinstall of Kodi might do the trcik.

Thanks! Will give it a try.

Hi, I'm seriously considering buying a Shield.

I was originally going to get the pro but that looks as if it is not available (at the moment, I hope). From what I have seen on YouTube and read in general, it would be great for what I wanted to do - which was set it up as a Plex Server. I don't play games.

So the Shield TV seems to be the only option at the moment. Having read a fair amount and watched YouTube, I see it will play most of the common apps but has issues with playing Google Play films in 4K (I have 100+ 1080p films on Google Play) as does the ATV 4K at the moment.

I'm currently using Plex to stream my 1080p Blu-ray rips via my TV and Fire TV. But, I'm not having much luck with 4k rips - not that I have many at the moment. This seems to come down to the Fire TV I own being underpowered and is not helped by my NAS being a Synology DS214play and also underpowered for transcoding. My laptop, while powerful, does not seem to work any better at transcoding with Plex.

Having watched a head to head of current streamers on YouTube the Shield Pro came out on top with the Apple TV 4K a strong second. However I'm not sure how the Shield TV compares or even how best to use it with Plex. Do I just use it as a client and it will transcode the incoming stream or can that only be done at the server on my NAS?

I am also considering an ATV 4K and there are three things I like about it:
- I just found out I have 10 4K movies in my Apple library already (they came free with my Blu-rays) and the cost of 4K films seems to be very good via Apple.
- I understand that the ATV 4K is powerful enough to deal with any transcoding that might be required (is this true)? Using Infuse. I'm not sure if it can do the same for Plex.
- I'm using Infuse on my iPad and it's a great front end GUI.

I hope to upgrade my AVR to one that can cope with 4K soon.

At the moment I have about 18mbs Internet and it plays Netflix in 4K. I understand that Apple TV will not stream 4K at this speed. I live in the back of beyond but hope to get better speeds in the not too distant future (but not holding my breath).

Apart from the power of the Shield TV (not Pro), I'm struggling with other reasons why I should choose it over the ATV 4K. I have an Android phone and an iPad so I'm not really in either camp.

I'd really be interested in your thoughts and any advantages you could highlight.

Or should I be waiting to see if the Pro comes back on line soon or if the Apple 4K gets an update soon?

Regards
Huw

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom