NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Could someone please tell me how to install Netflix on Kodi as I haven't a clue how to do it but really want frame matching oon Netflix as built in frame matching beta has stopped working on Netflix many thanks
I still need to do this as well, will try following the instructions here:

sounds dodgy installing an unknown addon which mentions vpn. Personally, I can't get netflix working with my nordvpn.
but install it as any other addon, if you really want.

is a long read, good luck.

go to here CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix

green button, clone or download, then save zip file somewhere. Then go to kodi, addons, install from zip.

I have just done this on coreelec it works fine, not used vpn.

Hi all,

Is it still true the new Nvidia Shield TV Pro doesn't auto-framerate switch? I'm contemplating getting either the Shield or the Apple TV 4K for my LG C9.

Reasoning is basically to use either Kodi with Plex Addon or Infuse to connect to my Plex Server. Most of my content is 4K HDR Remuxes which I usually direct play with LG's own video player, though it doesn't support TrueHD Audio so I always use Dolby Audio/ACS. (I'm using the TV's internal speaker).

But also, I love the upscaling quality of 1080p content in the TV, so I'd, at minimum, need it to not be worse, nor would I want to be worried all the time that Netflix doesn't framerate switch, then youtube doesn't, etc.

Apart from my previous questions, is upscaling and HDR/DV content quality pretty much leveled between both?

Thanks

Hi all,

Is it still true the new Nvidia Shield TV Pro doesn't auto-framerate switch? I'm contemplating getting either the Shield or the Apple TV 4K for my LG C9.

Reasoning is basically to use either Kodi with Plex Addon or Infuse to connect to my Plex Server. Most of my content is 4K HDR Remuxes which I usually direct play with LG's own video player, though it doesn't support TrueHD Audio so I always use Dolby Audio/ACS. (I'm using the TV's internal speaker).

But also, I love the upscaling quality of 1080p content in the TV, so I'd, at minimum, need it to not be worse, nor would I want to be worried all the time that Netflix doesn't framerate switch, then youtube doesn't, etc.

kodi and plex can switch both resolution and frame rate, Netflix etc require an installation of a a refresh rate switching app. The apple tv can refresh rate switch natively but cannot switch resolution

kodi and plex can switch both resolution and frame rate, Netflix etc require an installation of a a refresh rate switching app. The apple tv can refresh rate switch natively but cannot switch resolution

It cannot switch resolution? What would that mean exactly? Sorry for the newb question

It cannot switch resolution? What would that mean exactly? Sorry for the newb question

hi mate if you playback 1080p files then the atv will upscale it to 4K rather than your TV

you can manually set the atv to 1080p but would need to change it back if watching 4K material, only mentioned it as you commented on the LG upscale performance

Thinking on I would have thought the C9 would have been able to decode True HD?

hi mate if you playback 1080p files then the atv will upscale it to 4K rather than your TV

you can manually set the atv to 1080p but would need to change it back if watching 4K material, only mentioned it as you commented on the LG upscale performance

Thinking on I would have thought the C9 would have been able to decode True HD?

So in this case the Shield would be a better option then? Well, when I stream remuxes from my NAS it always says "This video doesn't support audio", though when you go to the audio selector you can select DTS (I believe?) And Dolby vision if the remux has it. Otherwise I can't really hear the dialogue at all, or rather, I can but very very faint. This is with the photos and videos app.

So in this case the Shield would be a better option then? Well, when I stream remuxes from my NAS it always says "This video doesn't support audio", though when you go to the audio selector you can select DTS (I believe?) And Dolby vision if the remux has it. Otherwise I can't really hear the dialogue at all, or rather, I can but very very faint. This is with the photos and videos app.

This is why I thought LGs can decode true hd

LG 2017 OLED TVs first to offer lossless Dolby TrueHD - FlatpanelsHD

the C9 also has EARC which is capable of passing true hd, maybe it’s a setting on the TV? Or a limitation of the LG plex app? not sure tbh

with regards to boxes both would be ok tbh as you have no requirement for bitsreaming atmos, The Apple TV seems fine to me with upscaling but I have no idea how it would compare to the LG, the 2019 Shield also has ai upscaling, I have the 2015 version so I am not sure how this works when it comes to local files via kodi.

Personally If I had to pick one then I would take the ATV, I prefer infuse over kodi, it’s an excellent app, I also prefer the picture from the ATV, on top of that iTunes is an excellent source of cheap 4K movies.

This is why I thought LGs can decode true hd

LG 2017 OLED TVs first to offer lossless Dolby TrueHD - FlatpanelsHD

the C9 also has EARC which is capable of passing true hd, maybe it’s a setting on the TV? Or a limitation of the LG plex app? not sure tbh

with regards to boxes both would be ok tbh as you have no requirement for bitsreaming atmos, The Apple TV seems fine to me with upscaling but I have no idea how it would compare to the LG, the 2019 Shield also has ai upscaling, I have the 2015 version so I am not sure how this works when it comes to local files via kodi.

Personally If I had to pick one then I would take the ATV, I prefer infuse over kodi, it’s an excellent app, I also prefer the picture from the ATV, on top of that iTunes is an excellent source of cheap 4K movies.

I didn't use the Plex app. Just the default LG's Photo and Video to stream from my DLNA server. So it just freaks out with those, not sure if it just doesn't work with the internal speakers, as that might be the issue, when trying to play 7.1 audio it just sounds like crap (very faint center/dialogue).

So, with the Shield, the TV would be doing the upscaling? Because you were talking about APTV not changing resolution would mean having to change the resolution every single time you play 1080p or 4K content?

I didn't use the Plex app. Just the default LG's Photo and Video to stream from my DLNA server. So it just freaks out with those, not sure if it just doesn't work with the internal speakers, as that might be the issue, when trying to play 7.1 audio it just sounds like crap (very faint center/dialogue).

So, with the Shield, the TV would be doing the upscaling? Because you were talking about APTV not changing resolution would mean having to change the resolution every single time you play 1080p or 4K content?

Yes mate, with the shield it can auto resolution switch via plex or kodi, the TV can then do the upscaling

Yes mate, with the shield it can auto resolution switch via plex or kodi, the TV can then do the upscaling

First of all, thanks for your patience. I'm asking all of this because I don't want to spend £200 to have a lesser experience basically.

Regarding settings then, do you keep the Shield at 4K 60? And then Kodi switches to whatever is needed for the source? Like 1080 24 or 4K 24 or Netflix 4K DV 24 etc?

Hi, looking to buy one (2019) tubular for streaming purposes mainly, I was wondering if I could use it to watch also 1080p / 4K content from a fast microsd.
Or do I need to buy the Pro for it's usb ports.
Will be connected to my new Philips 50PUS8204/12, thanks.

Hi, looking to buy one (2019) tubular for streaming purposes mainly, I was wondering if I could use it to watch also 1080p / 4K content from a fast microsd.
Or do I need to buy the Pro for it's usb ports.
Will be connected to my new Philips 50PUS8204/12, thanks.
Yes you can watch movie files saved on the microSD card. I have a 200gb one in my tubular Shield.

Yes you can watch movie files saved on the microSD card. I have a 200gb one in my tubular Shield.
OK thank you
But have you tried any 4K movies?
Because for instance all the 4K movies I tried quickly from my 2 hdd (2tb and 5tb Seagate) with the TV's player stutters (remember they did the same with my previous 43pus7303 as well but didn't have any issue with my ex LG OLED B8 playing any 4K movie).

OK thank you
Because for instance all the 4K movies I tried quickly from my 2 hdd (2tb and 5tb Seagate) with the TV's player stutters (remember they did the same with my previous 43pus7303 as well but didn't have any issue with my ex LG OLED B8 playing any 4K movie).
No sorry, I've not tried any 4k movie files yet (don't have any)

No sorry, I've not tried any 4k movie files yet (don't have any)
I see, pretty happy with the other videos quality and streaming (1080p Netflix older series for example) picture quality anyway?
Is this new AI scaling really making the difference?

I see, pretty happy with the other videos quality and streaming (1080p Netflix older series for example) picture quality anyway?
Is this new AI scaling really making the difference?
The AI scaling is very good, there's a clear difference when it's flicked on and off.

Streaming picture quality is also great, but it's not perfect for the following reasons. Netflix doesn't natively frame rate switch, so if you have the Shield set to 4k 60hz like I do, for the nice smooth menus, when you watch shows on Netflix some shows may show a bit of shudder. You can effectively solve this by installing a frame rate app, but why should you have to do this on a £150ish streamer? My £20 (in sale) firestick never had this problem. You can also watch Netflix through Kodi or Plex to solve the shudder issues, again why should you?
Next, Amazon Prime has HDR10, but not HDR10+ which my TV does have. This could be a marginal difference and possibly even not noticeable, but still I'd prefer it to be there for the price of the Shield.

I have all my audio through an A/V receiver, Netflix and Google Play can on some (but not all) shows/movies have lipsync issues. This is annoying as you can adjust the timing system wide but when some are ok bit other aren't there's not much you can do to fix this.

So, I've only had mine a couple of weeks and I'm still trying to iron out some minor issues. At the moment I'm not that blown away with it, especially for the cost compared to a Firestick. Then again I hate how laggy the firestick menus are, and the ones on my Philips TV are even more laggy.

The AI scaling is very good, there's a clear difference when it's flicked on and off.

Streaming picture quality is also great, but it's not perfect for the following reasons. Netflix doesn't natively frame rate switch, so if you have the Shield set to 4k 60hz like I do, for the nice smooth menus, when you watch shows on Netflix some shows may show a bit of shudder. You can effectively solve this by installing a frame rate app, but why should you have to do this on a £150ish streamer? My £20 (in sale) firestick never had this problem. You can also watch Netflix through Kodi or Plex to solve the shudder issues, again why should you?
Next, Amazon Prime has HDR10, but not HDR10+ which my TV does have. This could be a marginal difference and possibly even not noticeable, but still I'd prefer it to be there for the price of the Shield.

I have all my audio through an A/V receiver, Netflix and Google Play can on some (but not all) shows/movies have lipsync issues. This is annoying as you can adjust the timing system wide but when some are ok bit other aren't there's not much you can do to fix this.

So, I've only had mine a couple of weeks and I'm still trying to iron out some minor issues. At the moment I'm not that blown away with it, especially for the cost compared to a Firestick. Then again I hate how laggy the firestick menus are, and the ones on my Philips TV are even more laggy.
Hmmmmm
And the new Fire TV Cube?
And yeah, I may also install Kodi but again I'd like to really use the Netflix key on the shield's remote (and the native app).

Hmmmmm
And the new Fire TV Cube?
And yeah, I may also install Kodi but again I'd like to really use the Netflix key on the shield's remote (and the native app).
The reasons I went for the shield were the slickness of the menus, the great reviews and the lack of ads/amazon centric bias that you tend to get on Amazon's streamers. Plus I wanted to be able to increase the storage with SD Card.

But I am slightly disappointed it's not been as smooth sailing as I thought it would be.

The reasons I went for the shield were the slickness of the menus, the great reviews and the lack of ads/amazon centric bias that you tend to get on Amazon's streamers. Plus I wanted to be able to increase the storage with SD Card.

But I am slightly disappointed it's not been as smooth sailing as I thought it would be.
I'm looking forward to get one as well yeah.
Also do you think the more expensive Pro shield would solve any of your small issues?

I'm looking forward to get one as well yeah.
Also do you think the more expensive Pro shield would solve any of your small issues?
No I don't think so. Apart from having full Plex server capabilities, USB ports instead of SD card, a bit more RAM and 64bit rather 32bit android it's not meant to actually run any differently on the apps like Netflix that I have these issues with.

OK thank you
My 2019 Pro apparently got lost in the post. I've ordered a standard (tubular) one which should arrive today or tomorrow.
Will test 4k HDR playback from both an SD card and an HDD attached to the home network router and report back...

Last edited:
My 2019 Pro apparently got lost in the post. I've ordered a standard (tubular) one which should arrive today or tomorrow.
Will test 4k HDR playback from both an SD card and an HDD attached to the home network router and report back...
Great, looking forward to see the results!
I really think I'm gonna get one as well.

I purchased a 2019 pro at the weekend due to the limitations of the 4k Firestick regarding plex server, the fact i can connect my HDD direct to the shield and run all my media from it is great and connected directly to my AVR is brilliant and recognising the correct audio format, i too am playing UHD/4K 5.1/7.1 Atmos, etc remux files and everything i have thrown at it has played without issue (don't get me wrong i am a newbie to all this AV equipment so i do not know or fully understand the finer details).

The only downside i have found and i think its more google related than the shield is the lack of apps on the play store, for example, All4 is not on there! so i have sideloaded it, and used an orientation app, it works fine, but i will not show in my apps! so i added a launcher, ATV Pro, looks great and worked great for all of 2 minutes, when going back into it all the apps had vanished, so that was the end of that, I'm now having to use another side launcher to access the apps that don't show up in my Sheild apps! (if that makes sense) and there doesnt look to be a workaround (as yet), but other than that, its very nippy and works brilliantly,

I will still keep playing with setting etc, im a man, thats what we do lol, im looking forward to icking up some hints and tips from this thread

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom