NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Dolby Vision from streaming apps, atmos from the Netflix app, ai upscaling.

The AI upscaling can be very impressive, with a decent enough source. If that's enough of an upgrade over a 2017 shield is up for debate.

For myself, I'm happy I have it, but don't think I'd sell a 2017 model just to get a 2019 one if I was in that position.

Check your audio output device, number of channels, and pass through output device on that same page of settings. Sometimes the audio output device can have a couple of different Hdmi settings. If there are more than one listed as HDMI then experiment with them and see if any work.
Thanks I’ll double check

Hi mate, you need to select true hd capable receiver, not sure if this shows in the standard menu, it may need to be set to expert
Thanks but that is already checked .

Thanks but that is already checked .

ok mate, when playing a file with truehd have you brought up the context menu to check the right soundtrack has been selected? In addition sometimes pass through turns itself off within this same menu so it may also be worth checking there as it’s separate to the system settings

ok mate, when playing a file with truehd have you brought up the context menu to check the right soundtrack has been selected? In addition sometimes pass through turns itself off within this same menu so it may also be worth checking there as it’s separate to the system settings
Yeah tried that too, I’d noticed that pass through is sometimes different there.. really frustrating as I’ve been using it ok for 3 years and only after this reinstall has it gone to pieces!

Yeah tried that too, I’d noticed that pass through is sometimes different there.. really frustrating as I’ve been using it ok for 3 years and only after this reinstall has it gone to pieces!

Have you made sure you number of channels in that audio setting screen is set to 2.0 and not 5.0? You need 2.0 to out properly to an AVR that can decide DD and DTS.

Have you made sure you number of channels in that audio setting screen is set to 2.0 and not 5.0? You need 2.0 to out properly to an AVR that can decide DD and DTS.
What a freakin ball ache! I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to get my new shield to passthrough tonight, why the funk don’t manufacturers make it so that selecting passthrough, means passthrough, instead of also needing to make sure that other random, nonsensical audio settings have to also be set in a particular fashion in order to actually passthrough the audio untouched, “it twists my melon man”!

129A5839-912A-4DB4-BA9A-A4C14A188A24.jpeg08C740CA-4A80-467F-AC69-FE9D8CAB1BE0.jpeg
Any help much appreciated guys:)

Sorry to not respond to your help last night, my a friend came around. i have got it to 2.0 channels. I noticed, though, that it’s only displaying Dolby Digital on the amp not Dolby True HD even though I have the option set in Kodi. It’s definitely a Kodi thing as Plex is fine but I’ll be buggered if I can figure it out.

Attachments

• 6DDD6EE2-03E1-49F0-9E53-F29C86BB337A.jpeg
    6DDD6EE2-03E1-49F0-9E53-F29C86BB337A.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 676FB07E-5A4D-4003-9B51-67D7531DA45A.jpeg
    676FB07E-5A4D-4003-9B51-67D7531DA45A.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 50
Sorry to not respond to your help last night, my a friend came around. i have got it to 2.0 channels. I noticed, though, that it’s only displaying Dolby Digital on the amp not Dolby True HD even though I have the option set in Kodi. It’s definitely a Kodi thing as Plex is fine but I’ll be buggered if I can figure it out.

All your settings look right. I have had Kodi do this to me a few times, a reboot of the Shield normally fixes this although it's been a while since it's happened.

All your settings look right. I have had Kodi do this to me a few times, a reboot of the Shield normally fixes this although it's been a while since it's happened.
Rebooted it a couple of times today. Might have to do another delete and reinstall, see if that works

Ended up installing SPMC and same settings as Kodi and I have atmos no problem.

Could someone please tell me how to install Netflix on Kodi as I haven't a clue how to do it but really want frame matching oon Netflix as built in frame matching beta has stopped working on Netflix many thanks

So deleted and reinstalled Kodi and instant Dolby Atmos. Go figure!

Same here.

Is there any benefit in using Kodi over SPMC?

Hi mate

SPMC has had zero development for 2 years, the easiest thing to do is look at the feature list for kodi 16 and compare it to 17/18 and 19 (which is in beta) and see if any of those appeal. It also might be worth checking if any exploits have been patched as you could be vulnerable.

koying (who developed spmc) has been working on another kodi fork (MrMC) for the last few years

I installed MrMC on my shield sometime time ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember what the advantages are.

I installed MrMC on my shield sometime time ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember what the advantages are.

I don’t think there are any tbh, same with spmc. At one point the forks where providing bug fixes and additional features quicker than the main branch. This has not been the case though for a few years, on the Apple TV though MrMC was the first to support e-ac3 atmos and also single layer DV

MrMC is unique in the sense it restricts addon installation, this allows access on platforms not natively supported by kodi. In theory this also makes it less prone to exploit abuse as it’s not possible to install a nefarious addon.

Hi mate

SPMC has had zero development for 2 years, the easiest thing to do is look at the feature list for kodi 16 and compare it to 17/18 and 19 (which is in beta) and see if any of those appeal. It also might be worth checking if any exploits have been patched as you could be vulnerable.

koying (who developed spmc) has been working on another kodi fork (MrMC) for the last few years
Thanks very much chopples, I’ll try installing Kodi again as ruffian did.

What does “exploits patched” mean?

Reinstalled Kodi & Atmos etc now passing through :thumbsup:

Reinstalled Kodi & Atmos etc now passing through :thumbsup:
Bloody weird isn’t it. Trouble is I’ve had to go through and tag all my movies again to differentiate between 3D and 4K rips. Killed an evening of my life, just to get back to having Atmos again!

Bloody weird isn’t it. Trouble is I’ve had to go through and tag all my movies again to differentiate between 3D and 4K rips. Killed an evening of my life, just to get back to having Atmos again!
I’m sure most of us have spent a ridiculous amount of time tinkering & trying to get these things working as they should, I remember, many years ago, spending many an hour, trying to get the magical “Denon link” working :facepalm::)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom