NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

No, not related. You could be witnessing Netflix at 60hz and seeing motion judder. There is no current 24hz support for Netflix on shield right now.
I believe if you use Kodi and install the official Netflix addon, then it supports proper refresh rate switching.

I don't have Netflix to be certain but I think that's correct.

I believe if you use Kodi and install the official Netflix addon, then it supports proper refresh rate switching.

Ah cool I'll try that thanks.

No Atmos or HDR and I can live with 60hz. It's something that gets blown out of proportion. Besides, if it's something really good, you can torrent it or force 24hz on the shield in a couple of clicks.

It's because it's switching back between colourspace - the gui is always BT709 - it may be getting stuck on 2020 till it switches properly again.

Assuming your match colourspace is working that is - I had to employ the hotfixes for my JVC projector first, but what you describe seems normal..

Ah. Well at least I wasn’t crazy! I’ll fiddle with the color space and see how it reacts, but as long as it isn’t affecting regular content I guess it’s ok. But hey, since we’re here, care to explain what hot fixes you employed? Not sure they’d translate but you never know!

And thanks from replying!

No Atmos or HDR and I can live with 60hz. It's something that gets blown out of proportion. Besides, if it's something really good, you can torrent it or force 24hz on the shield in a couple of clicks.
atmos And hdr works with the kodi addon mate. In fact atmos from netflix even works for 2015/2017 boxes, which is why I use it

atmos And hdr works with the kodi addon mate. In fact atmos from netflix even works for 2015/2017 boxes, which is why I use it

Cool.. any drawbacks over the dedicated app?

Cool.. any drawbacks over the dedicated app?

Not really mate, in fact I prefer it as you have the ability to add TV series and movies to your library so it appears with your local content.

The only part which is tedious is that you need to retrieve your widevine key and type it in (it is long so I recommend using a kodi remote app so you can paste it in) prior to shield update 8 it would pull it in automatically, only needs doing once though, Netflix sub for the appropriate tier is still required

Can you share the repository/add on that you use for Netflix on kodi?

I have no idea on DV compatibility so that may be a concern, I initially installed it due to kodi being able to resolution and refresh rate switch (back then the play store refresh rate app could only apply one refresh rate per app) when I got my Atmos soundbar I was surprised to find it worked, one oddity is that the Atmos soundtracks show as Dolby HD in kodi even though it is lossy, it's only a minor quirk

Besides, if it's something really good, you can torrent it or force 24hz on the shield in a couple of clicks.
On a £150 media device, you really shouldn't have to mess about doing stuff like this, not when it worked perfectly with no fuss on a Firestick at a third of the price.

I've got another oddity now. On my Google Play Movies library I have a 4K copy of Underworld Blood Wars. On my TV youtube app, it plays in 4K and looks lovely and crisp, but there's a major lip sync issue. Part of the reason I wanted a Shield was to watch Play movies in 4K - but when I play back that same movie, it's not detecting it as 4K, only playing it in HD?

On a £150 media device, you really shouldn't have to mess about doing stuff like this, not when it worked perfectly with no fuss on a Firestick at a third of the price.

I've got another oddity now. On my Google Play Movies library I have a 4K copy of Underworld Blood Wars. On my TV youtube app, it plays in 4K and looks lovely and crisp, but there's a major lip sync issue. Part of the reason I wanted a Shield was to watch Play movies in 4K - but when I play back that same movie, it's not detecting it as 4K, only playing it in HD?

Shield TV doesn't support vp9.2, which is what Google play uses for 4k.

Shield also doesn't support HDR in YouTube and HLG at all

Shield TV doesn't support vp9.2, which is what Google play uses for 4k.
That's not what the official website claims?

1580727719147.png

Edit if you watch on the TV YouTube app an enable stats for nerds you should be able to confirm that the TV version is vp9.2
Cool, I'll look into this thanks.

IMG_20200203_234936.jpg

So, this is YouTube on Shield and 4k plays ok on YouTube BUT the movie I have on Play Movies which is 4K, only plays at 1080p?

View attachment 1253737

So, this is YouTube on Shield and 4k plays ok on YouTube BUT the movie I have on Play Movies which is 4K, only plays at 1080p?

Shield working correct then mate so it’s got to be something specific to play movies, Is the movie hdr when on the TV? If it is HDR then it will be v9.2,guessing here, but maybe google do not store a non hdr 4K/rec709 version of the movie on their servers?

Shield working correct then mate so it’s got to be something specific to play movies, Is the movie hdr when on the TV? If it is HDR then it will be v9.2,guessing here, but maybe google do not store a non hdr 4K/rec709 version of the movie on their servers?
Yeah must be down to Play Movies not pumping out the right resolution. I'll look tonight on my TV app, maybe like you say it needs to be v9.2 for Play Movies to detect to send out 4K, even if YouTube 4K vids work on v9.0?

I'm not too fussed for the only 4K movie I currently have, which is Underworld Blood Wars, but I was hoping to be able to build up a library of other 4K films bought through Play Movies.

I'm getting a new TV today LG oled c9 my current TV is lg oled b6
Will I need to reset the shield pro so it picks up the new TVs display compatibilities as I'm unsure if the C9 is the same B6?

I had a few problems with my 2015 Shield tv which were solved by a full reset. However, after reinstalling Kodi, even though I have ‘enable pass through’ and all the associated ‘my receiver is a Dolby/DTS capable receiver’, buttons checked, I can’t get any of my rips to playback Atmos. It must be something I’ve missed in the Kodi set up as the Atmos flag is triggered playing back in Plex, anyone else had a similar issue?

I had a few problems with my 2015 Shield tv which were solved by a full reset. However, after reinstalling Kodi, even though I have ‘enable pass through’ and all the associated ‘my receiver is a Dolby/DTS capable receiver’, buttons checked, I can’t get any of my rips to playback Atmos. It must be something I’ve missed in the Kodi set up as the Atmos flag is triggered playing back in Plex, anyone else had a similar issue?
Check your audio output device, number of channels, and pass through output device on that same page of settings. Sometimes the audio output device can have a couple of different Hdmi settings. If there are more than one listed as HDMI then experiment with them and see if any work.

Hi mate, you need to select true hd capable receiver, not sure if this shows in the standard menu, it may need to be set to expert

How does the 2017 Shield with remote and controller stand up against the newer 2019 Pro version ?

Worth the move ?

Last edited:
How does the 2017 Shield with remote and controller stand up against the newer 2019 Pro version ?

Worth the move ?

I'm interested to know this too. Some reviews I've read have mentioned although it apparently 25% faster performance is the same. Also the game controller isn't included now and there's less storage.

I'm hoping someone on here can give more info.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom