NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Owners Thread

Blu-rayx

I will give a quick first impressions pros & cons, When it gets delivered tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Blu-rayx

I will give a quick first impressions pros & cons, When it gets delivered tomorrow :)
Testing Now.
I will be more than happy to answer any questions :)

Blu-rayx

Where did you buy from and how much?

Have you tested kodi?
1. Amazon £280
2. Yes, works great.

The only problem is the 23.976fps stutter/frame drop bug. On the Nvidia forums it's a known issue and Nvidia are aware of it.
Minix had the same issue. When I reported the bug, Within 2 weeks it was fixed with a firmware update.

We have to wait and see if Nvidia will release a firmware fix with the next update.

Last edited:

tredman

Distinguished Member
Sounds good - do you use live tv in kodi? Only place the fire tv falls down for me is in deinterlacing.

Blu-rayx

Sounds good - do you use live tv in kodi? Only place the fire tv falls down for me is in deinterlacing.
I've only tested iplayer.

dazm41

what's it like at streaming full mkv/iso rips of blu-ray films what sound is it passing through to your amp

Blu-rayx

what's it like at streaming full mkv/iso rips of blu-ray films what sound is it passing through to your amp
streaming full mkv/iso rips of blu-ray films Works flawlessly :)
HD audio passes through my Denon X4000

dazm41

is that just the core of dts -ma and true hd

Blu-rayx

is that just the core of dts -ma and true hd
Hi dazm41,
Sorry I'm not sure I understand.
When I play a DTS-MA, My amp displays DTS Surround.

dazm41

if it was playing the full dts ma then your amp would light up with dts-ma it's just playing the core which goes along with one of the reviews they haven't the license for the dts-ma or dolby true hd

tredman

Distinguished Member
$200 in states, so should be around £170ish when it hits here.

Still a lot for an android box, but if you're a gamer the streaming thing looks cool.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
You can buy it from amazon.com for £162 approx including shipping and import taxes etc. Is it worth buying for that, anything that won't work cos it's a US one?

tredman

Distinguished Member
You can buy it from amazon.com for £162 approx including shipping and import taxes etc. Is it worth buying for that, anything that won't work cos it's a US one?
Depends what you want it for - if it's just for TV and media consumption I think there are better and more cost effective options.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The US version is the same as the one you can/will get in the UK.
Had that confirmed at work last week.

MarkE19

Rather than the actual cost, more important to me is value for money.

There are loads of very cheap Android boxes available, but with little or no after sales support with the likes of firmware updates. However if the Shield is well supported by NVidia and the community then higher purchase price could actually save you money as you wont need to keep upgrading to another box.

I will hold off for a while as I'm not sure any of the newer media players offer anything to persuade me to upgrade, but I am keeping my eyes on what is out there and may jump on something at some point in the not too distant future.

Mark.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The UI should be very responsive, don't know how much of that is an issue on current Anroid boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299