Nvidia Shield (2017) or Zidoo Z9S - for movies only

rookie80

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
It's time to buy a media player.
The main and probably the only use for the box will be to play movies from external HDD via USB 3.0 ( I will not use it for Netflix, YouTube, gaming etc, and will not stream files from my computer or NAS)

After reading and watching so many reviews I'm between Nvidia Shield and Zidoo z9s (both within my budget)
Box will be connected to Denon AVR-X2200W (Atmos/DTS:X) & LG 65UH850V (4K 3D 10bit HDR/Dolby Vision)

Please help to choose the best future proof box.

Nvidia Shield is "the best" performer since 2015, is it still the best option?
Zidoo z9s has a new Realter RTD1296 which gets excellent reviews for performance even for 400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit

Does 3GB RAM in Shield make any difference over 2GB in Zidoo for movies only?

Additionally, I would like to have;
- full support to any (as many as possible) media video files
- subtitles enable management (I think both support it, right?
- BD iso (FullHD & 4K)
- 3D capability
- it would be nice to be able to see HDD connected to the box in my home network and to be able to copy files from/to it

Additionally, box shuld to not have any issue with files like this:
BD ISO
VIDEO:
Codec Bitrate Description
----- ------- -----------
MPEG-H HEVC Video 63723 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 4000nits / HDR10+ v1 Profile B / BT.2020
* MPEG-H HEVC Video 6988 kbps (9.88%) 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 4000nits / Dolby Vision FEL / BT.2020

AUDIO:
Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
Dolby TrueHD/Atmos Audio English 3589 kbps 7.1-Atmos / 48 kHz / 3589 kbps / 24-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps)

or this:

Video #1
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main [email protected]@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 16 min
Bit rate : 63.7 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.320
Stream size : 60.8 GiB (79%)
Title : ......................2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 419 cd/m2

Thanks for all-wise advice

Have both of them and from my view if you need it only for local files (UHD, 3D) without streaming apps like Netflix than pick Zidoo, for the rest Nvidia/Apple TV is a better choice.

Thanks,
Does zidoo have any advantage over Nvidia (for playing any content) or they go head to head?

Another question, if you have both of them is there any difference in picture quality? Which one looks nicer?

I sold my Shield and now use Zidoo X9S and Apple TV.

The Shield seemed fine with media playback, but I could never get on with the interface.

I'd like to centralise to Apple TV (again on the basis of the interface), but I can't get it to play some of my 4K files using Infuse. I'm still not sure why.

The Zidoo isn't far behind in the interface stakes, and the picture quality looks excellent to me. As I use it for movie streaming only, I have it set up so it boots directly into the poster screen which makes it nicer to use.

I'm interested in the answer to your question about the R1295-based X9S/Z10 and the R1296-based Z9S/Z10. I'd definitely upgrade to the latter if there was any PQ advantage, but I'm not sure that there is yet.

I sold my Shield and now use Zidoo X9S and Apple TV.

The Shield seemed fine with media playback, but I could never get on with the interface.

I'd like to centralise to Apple TV (again on the basis of the interface), but I can't get it to play some of my 4K files using Infuse. I'm still not sure why.

The Zidoo isn't far behind in the interface stakes, and the picture quality looks excellent to me. As I use it for movie streaming only, I have it set up so it boots directly into the poster screen which makes it nicer to use.

I'm interested in the answer to your question about the R1295-based X9S/Z10 and the R1296-based Z9S/Z10. I'd definitely upgrade to the latter if there was any PQ advantage, but I'm not sure that there is yet.

I have the same set up as you, no problems playing 4K from Infuse via Apple TV, passthrough Denon receiver. I play them from the NAS drive, try refreshing the library, that might help.

I had both and sold both. Currently using Egreat A8 for main streaming and Apple TV for Netflix.
I did run the Himedia Q10 for about 18 months, that was a brilliant machine until someone offered me a good price. I would buy another.

I found the Zidoo buggy when streaming from NAS and the Shield was awesome on the power front but really only liked KODI for play through... ( I should have used it more really)

I have the same set up as you, no problems playing 4K from Infuse via Apple TV, passthrough Denon receiver. I play them from the NAS drive, try refreshing the library, that might help.

It is only certain files that it won't play, and I'm led to believe they are the ones with the highest bitrates. All of my files are encoded using MakeMKV and streamed from my Synology NAS.

I have tried to set it up on my other Apple TV 4K and that won't find the NAS at all, so I'm worried about resetting the one that works (for some files at least).

All fine on the Zidoo X9S, but I'd like to use the ATV 4K if possible.

I had both and sold both. Currently using Egreat A8 for main streaming and Apple TV for Netflix.
I did run the Himedia Q10 for about 18 months, that was a brilliant machine until someone offered me a good price. I would buy another.

I found the Zidoo buggy when streaming from NAS and the Shield was awesome on the power front but really only liked KODI for play through... ( I should have used it more really)

Did you notice a PQ advantage with the A8 or Q10 compared to the Zidoo?

I don't find the Zidoo to be buggy, but am always interested in alternatives. The Q10 Pro at ÂŁ140 looks great value given it has a drive bay and can do 3D (which is useful to me!)

It is only certain files that it won't play, and I'm led to believe they are the ones with the highest bitrates. All of my files are encoded using MakeMKV and streamed from my Synology NAS.

I have tried to set it up on my other Apple TV 4K and that won't find the NAS at all, so I'm worried about resetting the one that works (for some files at least).

All fine on the Zidoo X9S, but I'd like to use the ATV 4K if possible.
All mine are raw and they play them, even one that was like close to 100gb and the bitrate was stupid. I have had audio issues like sometimes its struggles with some formats of DTS.
Reset is always a risk but if you know your username/passwords for the NAS it should be ok.
I admit I have been quite impressed with Infuse, simple to use, have you tried playing through other apps, the files you're having issues with with. Try, Plex or Player Extreme....

Did you notice a PQ advantage with the A8 or Q10 compared to the Zidoo?

I don't find the Zidoo to be buggy, but am always interested in alternatives. The Q10 Pro at ÂŁ140 looks great value given it has a drive bay and can do 3D (which is useful to me!)

The A8 has a drive bay (Currently a 2TB WD red in it) Being I have used all 4, A8, Q10, Zidoo and Shield, which one is best for picture... Q10 would be my choice if I am honest. The open top HDD bay is a cool concept and carried over from the 900B which is one the best media players ever. I own 3 of them. The A8 is a side load HDD carriage.
I did buy my Q10 from here for ÂŁ80 so you should get a good price as it's been out for some years now. My Zidoo just never liked streaming but HDD & USB was brilliant....

Hi all
It's time to buy a media player.
The main and probably the only use for the box will be to play movies from external HDD via USB 3.0 ( I will not use it for Netflix, YouTube, gaming etc, and will not stream files from my computer or NAS)

After reading and watching so many reviews I'm between Nvidia Shield and Zidoo z9s (both within my budget)
Box will be connected to Denon AVR-X2200W (Atmos/DTS:X) & LG 65UH850V (4K 3D 10bit HDR/Dolby Vision)

Please help to choose the best future proof box.

Nvidia Shield is "the best" performer since 2015, is it still the best option?
Zidoo z9s has a new Realter RTD1296 which gets excellent reviews for performance even for 400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit

Does 3GB RAM in Shield make any difference over 2GB in Zidoo for movies only?

Additionally, I would like to have;
- full support to any (as many as possible) media video files
- subtitles enable management (I think both support it, right?
- BD iso (FullHD & 4K)
- 3D capability
- it would be nice to be able to see HDD connected to the box in my home network and to be able to copy files from/to it

Additionally, box shuld to not have any issue with files like this:
BD ISO
VIDEO:
Codec Bitrate Description
----- ------- -----------
MPEG-H HEVC Video 63723 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 4000nits / HDR10+ v1 Profile B / BT.2020
* MPEG-H HEVC Video 6988 kbps (9.88%) 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 4000nits / Dolby Vision FEL / BT.2020

AUDIO:
Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
Dolby TrueHD/Atmos Audio English 3589 kbps 7.1-Atmos / 48 kHz / 3589 kbps / 24-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps)

or this:

Video #1
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main [email protected]@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 16 min
Bit rate : 63.7 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.320
Stream size : 60.8 GiB (79%)
Title : ......................2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 419 cd/m2

Thanks for all-wise advice

I had the exact same questions and came across your thread, which one did you choose?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom