Nvidia Geforce Beyond Countdown (RTX 4000 or something else!)

Rumours are the 4070 will be highest one card under £700 you mention (well outwith a ti version I guess) .. 4080 seems to be suggested maybe £800 price and 4090 way higher ... :rolleyes:
All guesswork of course ... 4080 might come in at £300 ... you never know :D
If a 4080 is priced at £650 to £800. Then would that not be profitable for scalpers to buy up and resell, we all know people will pay those prices.

Scan will probably sell the FE cards again if they’re produced, which they probably will be.

One card per address again.

Hopefully they "reset" the one card per address from the 30 series. Still seems bizarre that this is still in place all this time later, especially given the availability now.

Well I crumbled and got an Asus ROG OC RTX 3080 12GB, £740 from eBuyer so “only” £90 more than a 10GB founders and I doubt it will get much cheaper.

I’m probably out now until at least the 5080 drops and hopefully by that point power consumption and prices will be reasonable again and I’ll drop this card into my old PC although the i7 3930k will definitely be a huge bottleneck.

Let's be honest, video games companies have stopped making video games like they used to. Just look at the PS5 and you will evidently see that video games companies have mastered the art of making money without making enough games like they used to. All of this is bad news for gamers, but yet gamers support Stinker/average games being released, and join in with the overating.

So is there really a reason to upgrade from 3 series to 4 series. My opinnion is probably not, unless you want the latest gpus then go for it.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, video games companies have stopped making video games like they used to. Just look at the PS5 and you will evidently see that video games companies have mastered the art of making money without making enough games like they used to, all bad news for gamers, but yet gamers support the trash/average games being released.
What games are you talking about?
Rockstar produce awesome games. Elden Ring was a brilliant game. Kena Bridge of Spirits was a brilliant game.
If you are talking about the likes of call of duty, battlefield et el then yes, they just churn them out. But this general consensus above is simply a load of nonsense, unless you are solely looking at the annually released titles.

What games are you talking about?
Rockstar produce awesome games. Elden Ring was a brilliant game. Kena Bridge of Spirits was a brilliant game.
If you are talking about the likes of call of duty, battlefield et el then yes, they just churn them out. But this general consensus above is simply a load of nonsense, unless you are solely looking at the annually released titles.

I would say games like Cyberpunk 2022, Fallout76, Battlefield2042, GT7 ..... I would even say CODMW 2019 is overhyped compared to the original release.

Yes, Rockstar obviously make excellent games, but where is GTA 6 ? It's been like 4 Years since any main game release from them🤔 and they are raking in the money. Just supports my point that there is no need for them to make new AAA games but they now know how to make money without making new games. Look at Valve, like 20 years to make HL Aylx and then nothing afterwards, but they are making loads of money from Steam. PS5 has a game drought but they are counting the cash.

I think that the future of gaming would be fewer good AAA games as games companies have many ways to generate £money without making new games.

You even said you have a flagship 3 Series card but want to upgrade to 4 Series to play old games in VR.

Last edited:
I would say games like Cyberpunk 2022, Fallout76, Battlefield2042, GT7 ..... I would even say CODMW 2019 is overhyped compared to the original release.

Yes, Rockstar obviously make excellent games, but where is GTA 6 ? It's been like 4 Years since any main game release from them🤔 and they are raking in the money. Just supports my point that there is no need for them to make new AAA games but they now know how to make money without making new games. Look at Valve, like 20 years to make HL Aylx and then nothing afterwards, but they are making loads of money from Steam. PS5 has a game drought but they are counting the cash.

I think that the future of gaming would be fewer good AAA games as games companies have many ways to generate £money without making new games.

You even said you have a flagship 3 Series card but want to upgrade to 4 Series to play old games in VR.
Old games in VR? Nonsense. MSFS is demanding graphically without VR.

All you have listed is AAA titles. I suggest you start looking at other games.
And I'd rather wait 4 or 5 years for Rockstar to create a game than churn one out every 12 months.
There are over 10,000 games on Steam alone. You played even 1% of them?

Old games in VR? Nonsense. MSFS is demanding graphically without VR.

All you have listed is AAA titles. I suggest you start looking at other games.
And I'd rather wait 4 or 5 years for Rockstar to create a game than churn one out every 12 months.
There are over 10,000 games on Steam alone. You played even 1% of them?
You meant 10,000 games like below, no thanks! I also don't play free games with microtransactions.

Screenshot_20220818-221742_Chrome.jpg

I suspect that after upgrading to a 4 series GPU? You would be mostly playing older games in VR that you have already played over.

All older and newer PC games can be played with 3 Series cards any way , like I said, 4 Series can be skipped for most without missing anything really. Maybe can argue Raytracing.

Some might even argue that the Old PlayStation 4 games like God of War and Spiderman are the top 5 biggest PC released this year lol

Big budget games from Rockstar, they are definitely not rushing, when they are making loads of money with 5 to10 year old games.

You meant 10,000 games like below, no thanks! I also don't play free games with microtransactions.

View attachment 1740342

I suspect that after upgrading to a 4 series GPU? You would be mostly playing older games in VR that you have already played over.

All older and newer PC games can be played with 3 Series cards any way , like I said, 4 Series can be skipped for most without missing anything really. Maybe can argue Raytracing.

Some might even argue that the Old PlayStation 4 games like God of War and Spiderman are the top 5 biggest PC released this year lol

Big budget games from Rockstar, they are definitely not rushing, when they are making loads of money with 5 to10 year old games.

Right at the top of your image Cursed to Golf is looking fantastic, I’ve been waiting for that for a while. I've noticed you only ever mention the big well known AAA games, when these days there are so many incredible AA or indie games released that I’m be truly astounded if anyone could seriously say they were short of something to play.

Go and step outside your triple A bubble for once in your life and check out the newly released Cult of the Lamb, great game, great price and no mtx.

It doesn’t take a genius to realise why there aren't twenty AAA games released every month, it’s because the cost of these has skyrocketed in recent years, the development of such expansive worlds takes years longer than it used to thanks to both the sheer complexity and detail of the environments and game systems. Combine that with the high profile studios reluctant to crunch their staff and you can see understand the constant game delays.

I'm sure every publisher would love to be sitting on a GTA Online and rake in the recurring revenue, but there isn’t really many that have such a golden goose, while it is true that the likes of Sony are actively trying to copy the winning formula it certainly doesn’t stop them making traditional games. Because low and behold a fantastic game will make a boat load of money, whether it’s a constantly updated game like No Man's Sky, an online competitive game like Apex Legends or a strictly single play campaign game such as Last of Us.

Every GPU gen can be skipped, they are just expensive luxury items, if you have the spare funds and want to dial up the detail or fps in your game, try 'new' emerging tech like VR or RT at its best then you upgrade your system. I'm not entirely sure what your point is here, new cards come out with predictable regularity that help to improve your gaming experience whether you are playing VR, old Borderlands games like me or brand spanking new AAA titles.

Last edited:
Right at the top of your image Cursed to Golf is looking fantastic, I’ve been waiting for that for a while. I've noticed you only ever mention the big well known AAA games, when these days there are so many incredible AA or indie games released that I’m be truly astounded if anyone could seriously say they were short of something to play.

Go and step outside your triple A bubble for once in your life and check out the newly released Cult of the Lamb, great game, great price and no mtx.

It doesn’t take a genius to realise why there aren't twenty AAA games released every month, it’s because the cost of these has skyrocketed in recent years, the development of such expansive worlds takes years longer than it used to thanks to both the sheer complexity and detail of the environments and game systems. Combine that with the high profile studios reluctant to crunch their staff and you can see understand the constant game delays.

I'm sure every publisher would love to be sitting on a GTA Online and rake in the recurring revenue, but there isn’t really many that have such a golden goose, while it is true that the likes of Sony are actively trying to copy the winning formula it certainly doesn’t stop them making traditional games. Because low and behold a fantastic game will make a boat load of money, whether it’s a constantly updated game like No Man's Sky, an online competitive game like Apex Legends or a strictly single play campaign game such as Last of Us.

Every GPU gen can be skipped, they are just expensive luxury items, if you have the spare funds and want to dial up the detail or fps in your game, try 'new' emerging tech like VR or RT at its best then you upgrade your system. I'm not entirely sure what your point is here, new cards come out with predictable regularity that help to improve your gaming experience whether you are playing VR, old Borderlands games like me or brand spanking new AAA titles.

Yah, but I don’t think gamers would need to upgrade to 4 Series GPUs to play game like Cult of the Lamb or Cursed to Golf 🤔 ? Those games can be played on max settings with a GTX 1060. They are hardly using GPU grunt.

I mentioned AAA big budget games because that is what we mostly upgrade for, to use that grunt of a new GPU, to get the latest graphical fidelity experience , few have also said because of demanding VR and some would upgrade due to aged hardware.

Yes, AAA/ big budget games are definitely reducing. But , the excuse that it costs more to make big budget games is true, but there are also many more reasons why there is a lack of quality production there. I'm seeing many smaller games companies being bought up to reduce loss risk, and even remember when Unreal made games now they just make boat loads of money from other Devs. So it's all changing and less quality big budget games are currently being put out, some of the MT models are now affecting and reducing the quality of gameplay in my opinion ( in some new games) .

So my point still stands, is there really a reason to upgrade from 3 series to 4 series?
My opinnion is probably not, unless you want the latest gpus then go for it ( maybe RT reasons). 3 series GPUs would still be plenty enough in today's gamining climate even at 4K for flagship cards.

Last edited:
Yah, but I don’t think gamers would need to upgrade to 4 Series GPUs to play game like Cult of the Lamb or Cursed to Golf 🤔 ? Those games can be played on max settings with a GTX 1060. They are hardly using GPU grunt.

I mentioned AAA big budget games because that is what we mostly upgrade for, to use that grunt of a new GPU, to get the latest graphical fidelity experience , few have also said because of demanding VR and some would upgrade due to aged hardware.

Yes, AAA/ big budget games are definitely reducing. But , the excuse that it costs more to make big budget games is true, but there are also many more reasons why there is a lack of quality production there. I'm seeing many smaller games companies being bought up to reduce loss risk, and even remember when Unreal made games now they just make boat loads of money from other Devs. So it's all changing and less quality big budget games are currently being put out, some of the MT models are now affecting and reducing the quality of gameplay in my opinion ( in some new games) .

So my point still stands, is there really a reason to upgrade from 3 series to 4 series?
My opinnion is probably not, unless you want the latest gpus then go for it ( maybe RT reasons). 3 series GPUs would still be plenty enough in today's gamining climate even at 4K for flagship cards.

Its pretty simple isn’t it, if you want your games to perform better than they do now then upgrade to a new card. If you don’t feel the need then that’s fantastic, it’s not a negative thing. Cards lasting multiple generations is great for gamers!.

suspect that after upgrading to a 4 series GPU? You would be mostly playing older games in VR that you have already played over.
Talking nonsense again. Is F1 2022 an "older game"? No. It's a month old.

Is there really a reason to upgrade to the latest iPhone from the previous model? No
Is there really a reason to upgrade a TV to OLED? No.
But guess what, people do, because they can

tbh I've only been PC gaming for 12 months. As Delvey says I don't need it, I have a PS5, but I really enjoy it and have the time and money - so why not - its a one ticket per person ride isn't it :)

I knew nothing of GPUs 12 months ago but I know enough now to see that a 40xx will make VR FS2020, F1 22, ACC (and AC2 when it arrives) a better all round experience.

I don't need it; but I'll go for it if I can. Prob something under £750, perhaps a 4070 but I'd hope for a 4080, and sell on todays part to get circa £350 for my Ti.

tbh I've only been PC gaming for 12 months. As Delvey says I don't need it, I have a PS5, but I really enjoy it and have the time and money - so why not - its a one ticket per person ride isn't it :)

I knew nothing of GPUs 12 months ago but I know enough now to see that a 40xx will make VR FS2020, F1 22, ACC (and AC2 when it arrives) a better all round experience.

I don't need it; but I'll go for it if I can. Prob something under £750, perhaps a 4070 but I'd hope for a 4080, and sell on todays part to get circa £350 for my Ti.
Build up that backlog and you soon stop worrying about being on the cutting edge. I’ve only just started getting to games my i7 3930k couldn’t hold 60fps in and that’s an 11 year old CPU. I’ve updated my GPU as I go in that time but a lot of that is because moving from 1080p to 4K/5140x1440 screen res + VR necessitated it otherwise I’d probably not have needed to update as often as I have.

Still got well over 50 games in the backlog too so that should keep me going for at least another 5 years until I get to games I can’t max again, especially with VRR in the equation.

The main thing to really plan for is direct storage m2 nvme because without that a lot of future games are probably going to be unplayable on even on sata SSDs let alone a mechanical HDD.

Talking nonsense again. Is F1 2022 an "older game"? No. It's a month old.

Is there really a reason to upgrade to the latest iPhone from the previous model? No

How so, you mentioned some pages back about how you want to play older PC games like Crysis and using Modded VR. If you read my post it does say "mostly" not "only" older games. However, there is nothing wrong with playing older or new games, just pointed it out about game releases that slowed and 3 Series to 4 Series is not going to be a warranted upgrade as say from a 2 series to 3 series cards.

Pricing would be a big factor as well. It would be interesting to see how the pricing works for these cards.

Last edited:
How so, you mentioned some pages back about how you want to play older PC games like Crysis and using Modded VR. If you read my post it does say "mostly" not "only" older games. However, there is nothing wrong with playing older or new games, just pointed it out about game releases that slowed and 3 Series to 4 Series is not going to be a warranted upgrade as say from a 2 series to 3 series cards.

Pricing would be a big factor as well. It would be interesting to see how the pricing works for these cards.
But if I can get a 50% increase in FPS for VR then why would I not?

@rhodos If you're going to sell on your current GPU l would definitely wait until you have your new one in your hands installed and working before selling, lots of people sold their cards last time and were stung when they couldn't buy a new one, always better to be safe than sorry. :)

Its pretty simple isn’t it, if you want your games to perform better than they do now then upgrade to a new card. If you don’t feel the need then that’s fantastic, it’s not a negative thing. Cards lasting multiple generations is great for gamers!.
Not entirely.
You do know many games are bottle necked by other PC hardware components when using a top 3 Series card (like 3080/3090). So it's not just as simple as upgrade the GPU to a 4 Series GPU and games will perform better.

If you play at 1080p,1440p and maybe 4K a 4080 might not even give you better performance than say a 3080 (unless you upgrade other hardware like monitor). For example, Days Gone, Aliens Fire Team, MK11 and a whole bunch of games can already be maxed out with a 3080/3090, so a 4080 will make little to no difference. There are hundreds of games like this.

So you need to have better other hardware components to see the performance.

To get better performance, you can also upgrade your CPU and RAM does'nt always mean it is the GPU thats needed when someone already has a top 3 Series GPU.

But if I can get a 50% increase in FPS for VR then why would I not?
Lets hope so, 50% increase in VR should be fun.

But, there are real reasons to upgrade to the latest iPhone from the previous model:
  • Better battery life (hours sometimes)
  • Better and brighter display with greater range of colors
  • Better Motion display (like 120Hz Pro)
  • Faster CPU performance
  • Faster GPU performance
  • Improved more detailed camera
  • Better video quality
  • Faster charging
  • Port upgrades like (USB-C) sometimes or eventually
  • More storage space
  • Better sound quality
  • Better design
  • Bigger screen
  • Wireless charging
  • The list goes on.....but the issue here is the price of the upgrade might put people off not that there is no real reason.
But, there are also real reasons to upgrade a TV to OLED, particularly at 4K, there is superior image quality difference. OLED has perfect blacks, superior viewing angles, infinite contrast ratios, and better motion quality than you can't get on other old TVs. OLED displays outperform even the best LCD options. When gaming it is just amazing!

Last edited:
Not entirely.
You do know many games are bottle necked by other PC hardware components when using a top 3 Series card (like 3080/3090). So it's not just as simple as upgrade the GPU to a 4 Series GPU and games will perform better.

If you play at 1080p,1440p and maybe 4K a 4080 might not even give you better performance than say a 3080 (unless you upgrade other hardware like monitor). For example, Days Gone, Aliens Fire Team, MK11 and a whole bunch of games can already be maxed out with a 3080/3090, so a 4080 will make little to no difference. There are hundreds of games like this.

So you need to have better other hardware components to see the performance.

To get better performance, you can also upgrade your CPU and RAM does'nt always mean it is the GPU thats needed when someone already has a top 3 Series GPU.

Lets hope so, 50% increase in VR should be fun.

But, there are real reasons to upgrade to the latest iPhone from the previous model:
  • Faster CPU performance
  • Faster GPU performance
  • Better video quality
  • Faster charging
  • More storage space
  • Better sound quality
  • Better design
  • Bigger screen
  • Wireless charging
  • The list goes on.....but the issue here is the price of the upgrade might put people off not that there is no real reason.
But, there are also real reasons to upgrade a TV to OLED, particularly at 4K, there is superior image quality difference. OLED has perfect blacks, superior viewing angles, infinite contrast ratios, and better motion quality than you can't get on other old TVs. OLED displays outperform even the best LCD options. When gaming it is just amazing!

Well we were talking about GPU upgrades, we weren’t even discussing upgrading other components, even noob PC gamers like me understands it's not the best idea to pair a 4000 series card with some ancient ten year old cpu.

As for phones I update mine when the battery life starts fading, each iphone yearly update nowadays is so minimal it’s laughable,

• Faster CPU performance
  • Faster GPU performance
  • Better video quality
  • Faster charging
  • More storage space
  • Better sound quality
  • Better design
  • Bigger screen
  • Wireless charging
If you go from an iPhone 12 to 13 you aren't going to get most of these upgrades. In fact you'll probably not notice the difference. As I've said, my money, I'll spend it how I want.

Erm... no, you really can't generalize.

Let's take Days Gone - I didn't spend much time in it but since you've given it as an example:
Graphics maxxed out at 3840x1600, a 3080 gives me variable 70-90fps with a (somewhat) heavy Reshade preset on top. CPU is 12700k but irrelevant, the GPU is the bottleneck here.

My monitor can do 120Hz with 10bit HDR active (144Hz with 8bit, but my target is 120) - if a 4080 can give me constant(or with very little drops) 120fps it's reason enough to change GPUs.

Days Gone isn't the only one which would benefit from a GPU generation upgrade. Spider-man Remastered is a fresh example - getting 60-80 fps out of it right now, with DLSS Quality and all other settings to max (again, with a Reshade preset on top).
And soon enough other titles will be released that I expect will put a 3080 to shame at high-res + high-fps.

The 4000 series is supposed to be providing an 80%+ performance increase and probably even more in RT. That will give some big improvements in VR and 4K gaming. In theory this should be the best overall upgrade since Maxwell (1080ti, etc) and if the prices are down from the current gen then an upgrade will make sense for a lot of people.

The 4000 series is supposed to be providing an 80%+ performance increase and probably even more in RT. That will give some big improvements in VR and 4K gaming. In theory this should be the best overall upgrade since Maxwell (1080ti, etc) and if the prices are down from the current gen then an upgrade will make sense for a lot of people.
I have my doubts prices will be down. I can see a bump up in card prices especially the 4080. If nothing else inflation has an impact I think on any prices set.
If the rumours of 4090 being around £1500 again then I can see 4080 being around £800 to £900 mark leaving a nice gap between that and 4090 to slot in the inevitable ti / S version of 4080

Well we were talking about GPU upgrades, we weren’t even discussing upgrading other components, even noob PC gamers like me understands it's not the best idea to pair a 4000 series card with some ancient ten year old cpu.

As for phones I update mine when the battery life starts fading, each iphone yearly update nowadays is so minimal it’s laughable,

Well, you do realise that at 4K Gaming, the CPU does not matter as much anyway right.

Using a good 8th Gen Intel CPU compared to 11th Gen Intel CPU is not that different. You could save money and pair a good older Intel 8th, 9th or 10th Gen CPU with a 3090 and get almost the same performance from games compared to an Intel 11th or 12th Gen CPU at 4K resolution.

At 4K resolution a weak CPU does not matter too much, you really need more GPU grunt.

But, it depends on what hardware combination the gamer has, so upgrading other PC components can give a nice performance boost as well as a GPU upgrade. Even a simple HD upgrade can give a huge boost.

Erm... no, you really can't generalize.

Let's take Days Gone - I didn't spend much time in it but since you've given it as an example:
Graphics maxxed out at 3840x1600, a 3080 gives me variable 70-90fps with a (somewhat) heavy Reshade preset on top. CPU is 12700k but irrelevant, the GPU is the bottleneck here.

My monitor can do 120Hz with 10bit HDR active (144Hz with 8bit, but my target is 120) - if a 4080 can give me constant(or with very little drops) 120fps it's reason enough to change GPUs.

Days Gone isn't the only one which would benefit from a GPU generation upgrade. Spider-man Remastered is a fresh example - getting 60-80 fps out of it right now, with DLSS Quality and all other settings to max (again, with a Reshade preset on top).
And soon enough other titles will be released that I expect will put a 3080 to shame at high-res + high-fps.

We have to generalise, because PC is different for everone right. I did not mention mods either as they are not standard. Yes thats right with your Spiderman game, as it could be that bad ports/poor optimisation that also makes people upgrade GPUs.

Gamer A
Gamer A has a 1080p 120Hz GSync monitor. They have a 3080Ti and play Days Gone. They get 120 fps+. Now Gamer A goes out and buys a 4080 or 4090. They will still get 120 fps + and will not notice any differnce in gaming. This will happen for hundreds/thousands of games.

Gamer B
Gamer B has a 1440p 120Hz GSync monitor. They have a 3080Ti and play Days Gone. They get 120 fps+. Now Gamer B goes out and buys a 4080 or 4090. They will still get 120 fps + and will not notice any differnce in gaming. This will happen for hundreds/thousands of games.

Gamer C
Gamer C has a 4K120Hz GSync monitor. They have a 3080Ti and play Days Gone. They get 100-120 fps. Now Gamer C goes out and buys a 4080 or 4090. They would maybe get 120 fps + However, the game will not really notice too much differnce in gaming. This will happen for hundreds/thousands of games.
Game C then decides to play MK11 at 4K 120Hz and gets 120fps+ on his 3080 and then plays on his 4080/4090 and they will still get 120fps+.

I would say if you are going to get a 4080/4090 and it is 100% more powerful that 3 Series then playing at 1080p/1440p could be a bit of a waste over 3 Series, and 1440p monitor resolution is the most popular among gamers in 2022 according to surveys.

That sounds very good, I would be looking closely at the benchmarks to see if it is really worth it at 4K over 3 Series.

With Ray Tracing, I think its not that important. Millions of AMD gamers don't even use it.

Upscalers are what is really popular in gaming and it is the real game changer. But, lets see what 4 Series has to offer with RT at 4K.

120fps Ray Tracing at 4K could be a good selling pitch.

Last edited:
Your opening statement was

"So is there really a reason to upgrade from 3 series to 4 series."

you should have maybe added "if you game at 1080p" on that statement and I doubt anyone would have disagreed.

Hence the numerous posts of "but I am using VR" or "I am gaming at 4K and want higher FPS", there are plenty of cases for 3xxxx users to go to a 4xxx card but there mostly, of course, at the higher performance user end of things where people want to go from 60 to 120 fps at 4K or whatever.

Do you game at 1080p ? if so your should be fine with your 3 series card and as you say, not have any need an upgrade at this time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom