NVIDIA Ion 2 chipset due to ship before the end of 2009

Smokeycat

Novice Member
Nvidia has confirmed that the company is on track to start shipping its Ion 2 chipset in 2009.
Could be an interesting time the next 2 - 3 months with this and Intel's new i3 CPU (with integrated GPU).

I was going to build a 9300/9400 based HTPC but I might hold off for a few weeks now to see what happens.

;)

According to rumors, Ion 2 will be much faster than the existing design and will have twice as many shader (effects) cores at 32 versus 16 for the present-day version. Probably built on a 40 nanometer process, Ion 2 will run with less power or in a smaller footprint as a result.

NVIDIA’s Ion 2 chipset is still due to ship before the end of 2009 and is supposed to provide a significant boost to netbooks and also to notebooks using Intel’s CULV (Consumer Ultra Low Voltage) processors as well. In addition to supporting the timeframe, the next-generation Ion will support processors other than the Atom, including the Celeron, Core 2 and Pentium processors that make up CULV as well as VIA’s competing Nano design.

Nehalem-era processors like Core i3, i5 and i7 would be excluded due to the ongoing dispute with Intel over the extent of NVIDIA’s chipset license, which doesn’t cover processors with integrated memory controllers.

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom