Nvidia FX5200 and DVI to Plasma problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MichaelJP, Jun 4, 2004.

1. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using an FX5200 card into my Hitachi 42PD5000 plasma. It looks fine at 1024x768 but of course the image is stretched horizontally.

I've been experimenting with Powerstrip to try and run a res of 1024x512 as some people have recommended, but I'm finding that most resolutions are only available through the VGA connector rather than the DVI. When I use the VGA connector the picture suffers from drastic scaling artifacts.

Anyone know anything about this?

Cheers,
    - Michael

2. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know if this might help as I'm running H56 through DVI.

What I did was to set resolution to 1024x576 (16:9) @ 50Hz.

Powerstrip has this settings available. Also, make sure that your DVI cable is not longer than 7.5 meters as you might need a DVI repeater.

Also, if that doesn't work, you will have to find out what the native resolution of your plasma display is and set Powestrip to that resolution.

regards
    Darko

3. Whitey1977

Whitey1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have a simular set-up, FX5200 via DVI to 32PD5200 and currently using 1024 x 576 @ 60Hz which looks good but I really want 720P to view WMV-HD DVDs when they appear.

In the plasma mannal it states that it can display 720P via DVI when connected to a set top box but not a PC.

Is there a way to simulate a STB output from the PC?

When I have tried this using powerstrip in DVI-PC mode the picture has to be panned to see the full screen and in DVI-STB mode there is no picture at all!

Any ideas?

4. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now trying an ATI 9700 card and I've got a 1024x512 mode working, but unfortunately Windows still assumes square pixels so the pictures is squished horizontally like an anamorphic dvd!

I tried 1024x576, but then the screen only displays a small section of the desktop, with most of it off the screen.

Very confusing this stuff!

- Michael

5. Whitey1977

Whitey1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I had the same problem with 1024 x 576 with ati 9600. It seems it can display this resolution properly. This is the reason I bought the FX5200.