nvidia drivers

I was blaming Nvidia for my PC crashing after installing the Detonator drivers but after PC-Cillin removed 2 viruses it's been fine.

Hi Lex

How are you going on with you computer? Are you still relegated to the laptop.

Hi Garrett,

Thanx for asking - I was going to reply to you on here soon anyway.

I seem to have sorted out the main problems by removing one of the Ram sticks and my Soundblaster Live! card, both of which seemed to be causing problems. The RAM I am going to send back and (hopefully) get replaced as it was obviously faulty, the soundcard I am going to just leave out as the motherboard has on-board sound which will be good enough for now.
I am however still getting crashes during Warcraft III which are coming up as 'fatal memory read fail' errors. I have no idea what to do about those - it could be the ram on my gfx card or some other conflict, I just don't know, so I have just given up playing Warcraft3 for now.
PCs are really frustrating - I spent well over £300 on upgrading my system, primarily for game playing - for that money I could have bought a GameCube & an XBox!!

Oh well, such is life! I think I will just stick to my PS2 from now on!! :rolleyes:

Thanx guys for all your help.

Lex

Did you buy the Total sticks of Ram together ?. - I may be that both are faulty and even though you have taken one out the other may be giving you problems. Is the type of memory different and is it the right spec and type for your motherboard?. the best thing to try is when you get your new stick put that solely in the machine to test. Also try different memory slots

My PC was crashing due to memory read failures too - after taking all the sticks out, putting them back in one by one in different places only solved the problem.

Originally posted by Zef
Lex

Did you buy the Total sticks of Ram together ?.

Thanks for your reply Zef - I bought one stick and found my system to be unstable, so I then bought another (hoping to rectify the problem). The system was still unstable with both in so I moved the original and that solved many of the problems. I will try as you suggested and place them in different slots. (Also, I am certain that it is the correct type of RAM).
I have heard (or maybe I was having my leg pulled) that putting RAM in the freezer for 24 hrs will improve/fix it - or is that just an urban myth? :blush:

:)

hmmm urban myth - the only reason I could see for doing this would be to overclock the RAM. The effect would last about 30 seconds, followed by the formation of condensation followed by the death of your RAM.

I think the other stick could be faultly. When you get the replacement stick remove the other one and see what happens. Troubleshooting these kinds of problems can be frustrating but the best bet to take it slowly and only change one thing at a time. In the long run you save time.

Ian

Lex you memory should be at least PC2100 and in the slots on the board nearest the onboard fan and farthest from you IDE slots.
As iwilson said if you think this is the trouble try one stick then the other, and see if it works alright with one in (i.e. is the other faulty).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom