1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Lex, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I am a little confused... :rolleyes: :blush:

I have just installed a new GeForce4 Ti4200 - I have the latest drivers from the manufacturer, but should I also download the latest drivers from nvidia as well?

Thanks for advice,

Lex.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nVidia drivers will work with all nVidia Ti4200s.

You can find all the latest detonator drivers here .

The 40.41s & newer are best for benchmarking, but IMO, the 29.60s are still the best overall for stability, performance & image quality - & i'm not alone in that belief.

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you are having problems i would stick with the drivers from your manufaturer.

Ijust got a GeForce4 Ti4200 recently .I intalled it using the dtonator drivers and had nothing but problems (image flashing in games and it would not output video to my projector on the second output ) plus the manufacturerd drivers sem to run games faster .

I have had 2 nvidia cards befor this (gforce2 tnt2 ultra) and the nvidia drivers were allways better. I think there latest drivers have been rushed out to compete with ati and in myop they have made a bit iof a pigs ear of em

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies (and the link) guys - I am already suffering from instability problems (games keep crashing) so i think I will give the nvidia drivers a go.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a Gainward card I hope :eek:

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, its a Leadtek GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb Wnfast A250 LE TD VIVO (full title!)

What is wrong with Gainward? I nearly bought one of those instead - do they have instability problems?

7. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that the Nvidia Detonator drivers make WInXP unstable using my Hercules GeForce2 MX card.

If I stick to the Microsoft drivers, it's fine. :devil:

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
  9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to be something wrong with your set up.

How are you installing the new drivers? You should uninstall the current drivers first, then reboot & install the dets - installing new drivers "over the top" of existing drivers can cause problems.

The Microsoft drivers are rubbish - they're just "get you up & running" thingys.

I still say the 29.60s are the best overall for stability/performance/image quality, but that's just my opinion.

10. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer,

I'll give that a try.

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am now using the 40.72 drivers and they are definitely better than the last set - much more stable. I had the same flashing problems during some games, but not with these new ones.
    My system is still completely unstable though!:(

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    You know what the guy with the beard on .tv use to say, time for a reinstall.
    If you have been running things for a long time it is sometime worth doing a reinstall, and is not to hard, easy if you have more than one partition on your HD or just save your drives and internet addresses, favourites, gave save etc to a CD.

13. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO gainward cards are unreliable....both the ti500 and ti4400 i had of there had issues....
    the ti500 crashed in 2d aplications and the gpu on the ti 4400 dies after a week.....

Leadtek offer a better over clock and has better ram sinks toboot

but the gainwards were a pretty red color;)

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have reformatted my PC three times this week already, but I still cannot get it to work properly!!
    You have a Soltek mainboard as well don't you Garrett? I simply cannot get my system to run properly - I have tried everything and am about to start ripping my hair out in frustration!! All I can think to do now is to send the motherboard back!
    Which one do you have Garrett? (I have the SL-75DVR5). I might have to pick your brains on how you have it setup. :) :blush:

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    That the baby or should I say motherboard. Ask away. My mate set it up for me but any thing I can help with I will do. I have a Ge-Force ti200 graphic card and 1600XP AMD processor.

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Garrett.
    I don't really know what to ask, I am just having a nightmare time with my new PC. It is just totally unstable, I have tried running it under Win ME and Win XP but it is just the same, and as I have said I have reformatted several times and tried different drivers etc, but no luck. I think it has to be a hardware fault, either I have configured it wrong, or it is a faulty motherboard. Everything is crashing - from Internet Explorer to games, everything just crashes. I don't think it is an overheating problem, I just don't know what to do. I have tried the Soltek forums, but no luck there either. I just wondered (as an owner of the same board) if you had any ideas or tips?
    I have just spent hundreds on this new system and it is sitting there - it is absolutely useless. :(

Do you use a seperate sound card Garrett, or the inbuilt one? I think I had some conflicts with me Sounblaster?

Have you ever upgraded the Bios or AGP drivers?

Thanks for any thoughts Garrett - I am desperate!

System:

Soltek mainboard sl-75drv5
    Athlon 1700+
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
    256mb PC2100 RAM
    Sound Blaster Live! Player 1024

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    I have put new motherboards in before without altering the settings, but as my mate was flogging me his 1600 XP he fit it and altered some settings.
    Have you got a good cooler and fan? I do use a separate sound card SB Live Value. 512 mb 2100 Ram. Thermal Take cooler and fan at full speed. And the temp is about 42C using the Soltek monitor. I will ask my mate if he can remember what he altered tomorrow if he is in probably after 6.
    One thought the processor can get very hot if you can totally do it with 100% safety try taking a cover of the case, and see if it is a over heating problem I.E. Does it crash without it on.

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanx Garrett,

I would appreciate you asking you mate.

I am pretty sure it is not an overheating problem - I am using the fan that came with the processor (Athlon XP pack). Sometimes the system starts crashing as soon as it is started up (and with the case open) so there is not enough time to overheat. How do you test the temperature? In the bios? mine gives three different readings ABSII plus Temperature 1 & Temperature 2.

19. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use the detonator destroyer when putting on new nvidia driver....do a search for it on goggle.

20. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lex, have you tried rearranging your cards in different PCI slots? Your problems sound symptomatic of a resource conflict - and often these do not show up in the device manager. I would start over with just your video card. Once you have installed your OS (I would reformat the drive also) start adding your cards one at a time (and not in the same positions you have them now). Open a few programs and get the system busy to detect any instability after installing each card. If the system becomes unstable uninstall the card and move it to another slot. If you can't get it stable put the card to one side and move onto the next. You may find its just one card that's giving you grief and perhaps doesn't fully support IRQ sharing.

Also disable any functions in the bios you are not using i.e. onboard sound, usb, comm ports etc.

Hope this helps,
    Ian

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Lex I can look in the BIOS if you want if you know what to look for.

If you are reformatting the HD my mate told me one of the other formats to the FAT32? Is more stable which is NTFC I can do it on my machine as I have the HD drive partitioned and only run windows from the C drive, FAT32 is the prefer system for games etc, but the other is a more stable format.

22. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    iwilson,
    I will give your idea a try ( it is about the only thing I haven't tried!). Thanks for that.

Garrett,
    I have tried using both FAT32 & NTFS and there was no difference in terms of stability on my system, although I too have heard that ntfs is supposed to be more stable. Thanks for the idea.
    I will give iwilson's idea a try, if it doesn't work then I may ask you to check a couple of your bios settings for me.

Thanx again, guys! :)

23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Hi Lex

How did you go on or is it too soon to know?
    I myself have been having trouble I think with the HD, I keep or rather it was loosing my profile, I swapped over to NTFC yesterday, I think I will be getting a new HD.
    I asked my mate what he may have altered and he said it probably was the auto recognition of the processor rather than using the dip switches.

Go here and down load the Hardware Monitor Utility I think the temprature monitor is there http://www.soltek.de/English/home/01.htm

24. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Garrett,

I haven't done anything for a couple of days - I have been a bit under the weather so I am sat in bed with my laptop - at least it doesnt keep crashing!!
    Will let you know when I try.

Cheers.

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried installing those new beta drivers from nVidia but they were woefully bad in the stability department on my setup. Have 30.82 installed at the moment, but Windows Update offered me a newer certified driver (weird since there is no newer certified driver listed on the nVidia site). Installed that one but was not good for stability either. Therefore went back to 30.82.

Cracking video cards Lex :) I have the Ti4200 too, but with 64Mb :rolleyes: :D

NTFS is definitely the way to go on the HDD front. It's a much better file system - more secure, more reliable, more tolerant. Also the only option for large drives as far as I'm concerned. I've never used anything else since Win2K. Now have XP.

If there are device conflicts, you would be able to see them listed in the Device Manager in My Computer.

I re-installed the pre-installed XP on my PC and had some stability problems with it initially, then found it was down to the order in which the drivers were installed. XP installation works much better if you unplug as much hardware as you can (e.g. anything hooked up to USB, any external drives etc.). If you need to install any chipset drivers, AGP or USB2 drivers, make sure you do these straight after you install XP. Then install your video card and other drivers. Finally install XP SP 1. Might be a cure for some of your ills.

Get well soon Lexxy ..... and for gawd's sake, bin that copy of Win ME you have - it needs putting down ;) :D

26. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was blaming Nvidia for my PC crashing after installing the Detonator drivers but after PC-Cillin removed 2 viruses it's been fine.

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Hi Lex

How are you going on with you computer? Are you still relegated to the laptop.

28. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Garrett,

Thanx for asking - I was going to reply to you on here soon anyway.

I seem to have sorted out the main problems by removing one of the Ram sticks and my Soundblaster Live! card, both of which seemed to be causing problems. The RAM I am going to send back and (hopefully) get replaced as it was obviously faulty, the soundcard I am going to just leave out as the motherboard has on-board sound which will be good enough for now.
    I am however still getting crashes during Warcraft III which are coming up as 'fatal memory read fail' errors. I have no idea what to do about those - it could be the ram on my gfx card or some other conflict, I just don't know, so I have just given up playing Warcraft3 for now.
    PCs are really frustrating - I spent well over £300 on upgrading my system, primarily for game playing - for that money I could have bought a GameCube & an XBox!!

Oh well, such is life! I think I will just stick to my PS2 from now on!! :rolleyes:

Thanx guys for all your help.

29. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lex

Did you buy the Total sticks of Ram together ?. - I may be that both are faulty and even though you have taken one out the other may be giving you problems. Is the type of memory different and is it the right spec and type for your motherboard?. the best thing to try is when you get your new stick put that solely in the machine to test. Also try different memory slots

My PC was crashing due to memory read failures too - after taking all the sticks out, putting them back in one by one in different places only solved the problem.

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your reply Zef - I bought one stick and found my system to be unstable, so I then bought another (hoping to rectify the problem). The system was still unstable with both in so I moved the original and that solved many of the problems. I will try as you suggested and place them in different slots. (Also, I am certain that it is the correct type of RAM).
    I have heard (or maybe I was having my leg pulled) that putting RAM in the freezer for 24 hrs will improve/fix it - or is that just an urban myth? :blush:

:)