Nvidia Bandwidth Meter

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by JohnsonChris, Mar 13, 2006.

1. JohnsonChris

JohnsonChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

I've been trying to work out why I'm getting jittery Live-TV, the system is brand new, on a 3gig P4 CPU, with 1gig of memory. Everything runs fine except for really poor performance on some channels - I ran Microsoft's perfmon over the weekend to try and understand what's going on .... the only slight delay is caused by I/O read delays on the physical disk - but nothing which should indicate a problem, and certainly nothing which cannot be fixed through RAID-0.

The only other thing of concern is this "bandwidth meter" on the nvidia decoder software, TV programs running ok with no tearing or stutter seem to show 2-3Mbps, however shows with problems regularly drop to 1 or below .... what I'm trying to understand is if this meter is an indicator of signal strength, or the quality of the broadcast.

If it's signal strength, then I'll try and get an installer out to look at the aeriel on the roof.

Any help or advice is really appreciated.

2. Nick_W

Nick_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What MPEG-2 decoder do you use?

Regards,

Nick.

3. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From the question, presumably the Nvidia decoder. :)

The only help I can give with the "bandwidth meter" is that I got the same low/zero readings when I had a configuration issue i.e. a low reading isn't a definite problem with the aerial, only a problem with the signal somewhere between transmitter and final decoding. Sorry, that's probably not much help!

4. Chaps

Chaps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It isn't an indication of signal strength or quality, rather it shows the data bitrate of the mpeg2 stream that the nvidia decoder is decoding. For it to drop and the picture stutter, must mean that there is a break in that data stream. Finding out the cause is another issue!

Before putting up another aeriel, try using a different decoder, such as a trial version of Cyberlinks PowerDVD. You need to discover if its a hardware/saaoftware issue or a signal quality issue.

good luck :)

5. Nick_W

Nick_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Have you tried different deinterlace settings? Mine stutters if it's not set to either smart or film. Some people recommend automatic, but it doesn't work for me.

HTH,

Nick.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    You don't mention what signal source you have but I am assuming from the low bit rates that it must be DVB-T (Freeview). Analogue capture at Best Qaulity is normally 6-8Mbps.

I would strongly suspect that a poor signal is causing your problems. The TV tuner cards are all less sensitive than regular TV or Set Top Box. You may need a better aerial or just a ten pound signal booster from Argos may do the trick. If it doesn't you can always return it for a full refund within 16 days:)

7. PeteT

PeteT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I get good tv playback on the main tv channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4, E4 etc but the likes of channel 5 and price drop etc i get a studder and pixelation. My mate use's a set top box to get freeview and he has the same problems. So i think its the bandwith the broadcaster has assigned to that channel thats the problem.

only a guess though

8. JohnsonChris

JohnsonChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I switch to the power dvd software decoder - is there some form of meter on there, or is my comparison going to be purely visual?

9. PeteT

PeteT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To be honest i don't know. I have only ever used the nvidia decoder, so if swiching help then i will give it a go.

But i have gotten used to it now. I don't see it. My dad was over the other week and mentioned that it stuttered, i told him he imagined it becuase i never saw it. We skipped back and watched it again there there it was. I might try powerdvd aswell, that might even sort out my lip sync issues