1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia, Ati and Powerstrip

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canary_Jules, May 27, 2003.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I bought a Radeon 9000 pro recently because I was told that Geforce cards wouldn't take the custom res that my Sony HS10 requires for HCPC. It is back at Eclipse at the moment being checked out for a dodgy DVI port and so I have put my old Geforce 3 back in for the time being. I noticed, however, that I am able to run the Geforce 3 on my Samsung 171P LCD monitor at the same res (using Powerstrip) that the Radeon was set at to run the PJ. So, I am confused. Do Geforces do custom res or not?

The question is real in view of the fact that I had planned to pay the different and upgrade the 9000 pro to a 9500 Pro if it proved to be faulty because I like to play the odd game. But if Geforces take custom res then I could look further afield.

Helpful advice would be useful.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Geforce cards do do custom resolutions but that are still 2nd best for HTPC applications. Picture quality from Radeons is that much better, with DVI the difference should be less but I'm still sure that it will be noticable.

Jeff

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Thanks. At the moment I am using my nice new beautiful Samsung 17" LCD monitor via the DVI and I can see no difference between this and the Radeon 9000 Pro in terms of picture quality. I'm not sure whether I should expect so on the LCD. But is there any article that you can point to where the difference in quality between the Geforce and Radeons is explored?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK, GeForces are limited to 1280x1024 via DVI, so not possible to do the 1366x768 req'd for your HS10.

Custom resolutions are possible though, just not above that mentioned via DVI.

5. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Okay, thanks. A Radeon 9500 Pro it is then!