Nvidia announces "Big Format Gaming Displays"

All good except for the cost I imagine :eek:

Asus version of the BFGD:-

Asus PG65.jpg

Massive :eek:.

Something around 40" and I'm interested!

There is definitely a hole to be filled here. The big TV makers have not been good to gamers, especially PC gamers.

Something around 40" and I'm interested!

Yeh, I used to use the Philips 40" 4K monitor before replacing it with my current Asus Rog Swift.
Having the benefits of both monitors in one would be the perfect monitor.

Is it a tv or a monitor...Defo looks interesting

Saw it this morning and pinged Steve Withers, so hopefully some avf info soon

Couch level pc gaming?

Around 40 inch ultrawide is where I see it going in reality. I hope really. Be a few years before in the good price range.

I'm currently sat in front of the 43" Philips, the PPI is perfectly for native 4k, while the screen is still large enough to make games look amazing; previously I used the 40" Philips (which is now my second monitor) and it was just a tad too small, text was readable but not comfortably so.

If I could make any monitor of my choosing it'd be in a range of 43-46" in size and curved (because the sides of the screen are further from you than the centre and it's noticeable) with all the gsync, 120", hdr gubbins would be absolutely perfect. I'd buy three for the ultimate desktop setup.

Here's a picture I took the other day:

20180107_153254.jpg

i would use one of these large screen monitors to replace my normal TV
i don't watch tv anyways , a bit of now tv and netflix every now again ( which is built in to my sammy tv )
having one of these would get me out of the man cave and start me to use my whole again in stead of just sitting in the man cave most of the time . ( haha.... sad i know :blush:)

So what we expecting 2.5-3k?

Given how much they charge for tiny screens the price on this will be ridiculous.

Would be great for sim racing etc. games.

Eh, no it wouldn't. All serious sim racers (the ones who spend tons on the wheels/pedals/motion rigs) are all going VR now, because it is a million times more realistic and immersive than sitting in front of any flat screen monitor/TV. Anyone that has sim-raced in VR have said they will never go back to old flat screen 2D racing. I have experienced it myself and agree 100% with them.

i would use one of these large screen monitors to replace my normal TV
i don't watch tv anyways , a bit of now tv and netflix every now again ( which is built in to my sammy tv )
having one of these would get me out of the man cave and start me to use my whole again in stead of just sitting in the man cave most of the time . ( haha.... sad i know :blush:)

I'd get this to replace my TV but I'd also want the FreeSync/Adaptive Sync that comes with HDMI 2.1 (for the Xbox One X). Not sure if they would do GSync over DisplayPort and FreeSync over HDMI 2.1.

Eh, no it wouldn't. All serious sim racers (the ones who spend tons on the wheels/pedals/motion rigs) are all going VR now, because it is a million times more realistic and immersive than sitting in front of any flat screen monitor/TV. Anyone that has sim-raced in VR have said they will never go back to old flat screen 2D racing. I have experienced it myself and agree 100% with them.

VR will eventually be the way to go for sim racing but at this point I would still buy a big high refresh monitor.

I bought an Asus Rog Swift monitor and an Oculus Rift in July 2016. The Rift for sim racing and the high refresh monitor for other games. Ended up selling the Rift, it fell short in too many areas. Give it a few more years and VR should be good. Vive Pro already increased the resolution but probably not enough yet.

I'd get this to replace my TV but I'd also want the FreeSync/Adaptive Sync that comes with HDMI 2.1 (for the Xbox One X). Not sure if they would do GSync over DisplayPort and FreeSync over HDMI 2.1.
It's an nvidia based monitor so i can't see free-sync coming to it , would be nice tho .

if this was the big announcement then i don't see them launching new GPU's for a while either.

It's an nvidia based monitor so i can't see free-sync coming to it , would be nice tho .
Could be patched in though freesync is open source and software based.

VR will eventually be the way to go for sim racing but at this point I would still buy a big high refresh monitor.

I bought an Asus Rog Swift monitor and an Oculus Rift in July 2016. The Rift for sim racing and the high refresh monitor for other games. Ended up selling the Rift, it fell short in too many areas. Give it a few more years and VR should be good. Vive Pro already increased the resolution but probably not enough yet.

Fell short how? Did you actually play any sim racers on it? What kind of sim hardware did you use with it? I have Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom and have tried demo of Project Cars 2 (which i didn't like) and they were all much more immersive and realistic than any monitor. Also software has improved a lot in last two years on Oculus with Dash, and the hardware with the Touch controllers is way more realistic than the original XBox controller they provided. You should try Rift again now.

Fell short how? Did you actually play any sim racers on it? What kind of sim hardware did you use with it? I have Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom and have tried demo of Project Cars 2 (which i didn't like) and they were all much more immersive and realistic than any monitor. Also software has improved a lot in last two years on Oculus with Dash, and the hardware with the Touch controllers is way more realistic than the original XBox controller they provided. You should try Rift again now.
Lot's of sim racers have stuck with triple screens or one high refresh rate screen. Usually it's the lower perceived resolution and/or the lower FOV plus the potential in some for nausea.

It is very person dependant at the moment and will be until it is at least as sharp looking as a TV if not sharper because when you are looking at an image which simulates real life deficiencies become more obvious.

For me at least it becomes very obvious just how terrible lighting in video games actually is. Like it already doesn't come close to CGI when compared but in VR it is even more obvious. Then things like aliasing is magnified significantly it's no worse in VR but it's like those digital foundation comparisons where they zoom in to compare differences in 2D it's not that obvious but have a magnifying glass to it and it is.

That being said I would always pick VR over 2D simply because I find depth perception and scale is far more natural to drive in than a flat screen. I can judge distances better, I can see in the distance better despite the lower resolution. I don't need to read the distance markers like some people claim screws them because I can see the relative distance easily.

I would be intrigued to see a study on it but I reckon those who have grown up active and developed their proprioception will prefer VR and those who haven't (or just suck at sport) and trained their skills on a flat screen are going to prefer monitors.

From my testing put any normal person who doesn't really play video games on a rig with a monitor and they all go flying off because they can't judge speed or distance. Put them in VR and they drive around at normal road speeds thinking they are going too fast all the time it's really interesting to watch.

Also just as an FYI his sim gear was probably much better than yours ;)

Fell short how? Did you actually play any sim racers on it? What kind of sim hardware did you use with it?

Assetto Corsa, Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro and Accuforce Pro wheel.

VR is more immersive and natural sure but resolution wasn't acceptable to me. I wanted the corners to come into focus sooner than they did. Optics weren't that good either, artifacts, sweet spot etc. Comfort wasn't good, it was summer and I couldn't put the headset on for more than two minutes before starting to sweat.

Give it another couple of years and VR will be great. It's simply not good enough for me yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom