Nvidia 7600GT > 220GT big difference?

tmurphy

Just moved up from a 1650x1050 monitor to 1920x1080 screen and have noticed that that my FPS have dropped quite a bit using my 7600GT.

I only play one game, Eve Online, which isn't the most demanding game on GPU's but since the change in resolution I has become slow especially when there;s a lot on the screen.

I don't thin I need a top end GPU but from looking at the specs on the Nvidia website it looks like the 220 has double the amount of cores and the 240 quadruple the number of cores.

I'd just like to run the game smoothly especially during large battles when there's lots on the screen.

Cheer for any advice

Tony

eni

There will be a massive difference between a 7600GT and a GT 240 and a GT 220. As these cards not only have many more cores, but have (at least) twice the amount of VRAM (Video Ram). In most cases, it is in fact the amount of RAM that makes the most difference when it comes to large resolutions, however; in this case the 7600GT is - forgive me - woefully underpowered for use on a 1920x1080 resolution screen, even when playing a game such as EVE Online. So the increase in cores and the increase in RAM will massively boost the performances. Other great benefits to both the GT 220 and the GT 240 over the 7600 GT is that:

1) they have both have HDMI outputs (meaning that if your screen supports HDMI, you can have a much better inter-link between your graphics card and your screen).

2) they will both run a lot cooler than your 7600GT due to better and more modern designs, and a smaller 'die-size'.

3) they will have both CUDA and PhysX capabilities (that I doubt your 7600GT will have). Meaning that if you were to play games with, for example, PhysX written into them, then you can have the benefit of improved physics engines.

I'd suggest getting a GT 240 with 1GB of VRAM such as this one.
The benefit of the GT 240 over the GT 220 (other than the increased number of cores, obviously) is that it also has faster RAM. Meaning that it can transfer data a lot quicker.
Getting a 1GB model will give you 4x the amount of VRAM that your current 7600GT has, which will help a great deal (especially in those intensive battle-moments when there's a lot on the screen at once).

However; you can't really go wrong whether you choose to go with a GT 220 or a GT 240, both will give you a noticeable performance increase over your 7600 GT.

Just as an aside; you might want to check on the Power Supply before parting with any money, as it may not be up to the job. However, the chances of that are slim to none.

Hope I helped, peace
eni

tmurphy

Many thanks for the informative and detailed post.

Looks like I'll be off to Scan tomorrow to pick up a new card.

Thanks for the help

Tony

Clunk

Many thanks for the informative and detailed post.

Looks like I'll be off to Scan tomorrow to pick up a new card.

Thanks for the help

Tony

If you haven't already bought one, there's a silent 1GB GT220 available as new in the classifieds for £40...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/comp...b-zone-edition-hdmi-silent-graphics-card.html

Otherwise if you're buying new, try to get a DDR3 version if there's not much difference in price. The faster memory will make a noticable difference.

Or a HD 4670 which is about 10-30% faster than the GT 220 in most cases, at about the same price.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom