Nvidia 6600gt Resolution Settings?

Nobber

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello I ahve a Sony VPLVW11HT Projector and am about 2% into my lastest project which is a HTPC I am unsure of the correct settings for the card and the highest resolution I which I can display a full Windows desktop is about 640 * 480 if I set the resolution higher the desktop is much bigger than the screen

could someone post their settings for their 6600gt and pJ please

One last question when the PJ is connected do you set the 6600gt to 576 HDTV or PAL or NTSC there are so many different settings

thanks

Nobber

Ideally you want to change the refresh depending on which type of DVD you're playing, 50hz PAL or 59.94hz for NTSC, no matter what resolution you're using.

Thanks for the info but I need more help before my HTPC goes through the window!

can anyone post all their settings relating to resolutions and the type of TV to select for my type of projector, I' m using Nvidia 72,25 drivers but I can seem to see the full desk top

thanks
Nobber

I suggest you uninstall the nvidea drivers and re-install them, the display drivers should at least see your projector as a default monitor, which will be fine to stay with; then just select the resolution and refresh rate you need for your projector.
Hope this helps.

Ken

Thanks Ken I will give that a try, but the card is a dual view so maybe I should just step back and start with a single display, now I'm not getting confused with this resolution setting am I, I'm talking about the resolution of my desk top

Start with single display to get things working. set your desktop resolution to 1360x768; which I think is correct for the 11ht.; not sure what refresh it is capable of, so start with 60hz.

Ken

Ok single display, I have downloaded powerstrip and set a resolution of 1366*786 the card and the projector support this

My desktop is too big and looks blurry I don't get it, however when I play a DVD that looks ok

I must be missing something

try as above, 1360x768 - I think its all to do with this strange overscan stuff :)

Leave powerstrip out of it for now. Use the standard resolution offered by the nvidea Drvers.

Ken

OK back to basics another night wasted!

Single display
no powerstrip

display settings tried

1360*768
1366*768

Blurred and oversized desktop, dvds play and look OK

also tried adjust dot phase in the projector, gues what no difference

any other ideas aprt from junking the HTPC project?

thanks
Nobber

You've got me, it should work fine.
Is there some setting in the projector that is set to a low resolution?

Ken

Hi, I'm in the same phase as you I believe so it would be interesting to share some experiences as we gain them. Yesterday I assembled my new (to be) htpc with a Gainward 6600gt on an Asus P5AD2-E Premium motherboard. I chose the nvidia graphics board because my old 4600 board in my old htpc worked so well with my Sony HS-10 projector and I assumed the driver would be the same (well, it wasn't...).

With the old htpc, using VGA, I get a brilliant pic with 1368 x 768 pixels but @ a no-good 56 Hz. Using the 720p res through a 5 m DVI cable i get my coveted 50 Hz. The problem with the 720p is that the pic gets cropped. Showing the Windows desktop you lose almost all of the taskbar at the bottom. This is a well-know problem with at least some older Sony projectors. So basically you have a choice between two evils: the pan-judder of the 56 Hz VGA or the cropping of the DVI. I chose the latter.

With the new system, I have so far tried the DVI output, now through a 10 m cable. The colors looked like an LSD trip gone bad. Maybe the cable is too long or of poor quality. I then tried the component output of the 6600gt @ 720p which worked fine except when I play a DVD I see everything but the movie. There's just a black rectangle where the Return of the King should be playing. Doesn't matter if I set the projector as the primary screen or not. I've tried both the nvida and the windvd codecs. @ 576p I managed to get a picture (still through component). When I quit yesterday the WMP still insisted on showing the movie on both the LCD display *and* the projector, with judder on one of them. But today's an other day...

What is the native res of your projector. What output from the graphics board are you using?

It seems to me that the 6600gt features were just added to the last official version of the driver and may thus not be mature as of yet. So don't throw out the pc. Or if you do, pls throw it in my back yard!

Pls tell how everything progresses!

-A

Hello

the native res is 1366*768 thats why I am so confused, my card is a gainward with 2 DVI and s Video, the S Vid is actually component so I'm using that to feed the projector, I am going to waste even more time tonight to figure it out I have acouple of other things I can try before I move the house 1/2" to the left!!

The 6600 is component, doest do svideo as far as I am aware. I doubt resolution via a component cable will matter, you need to DVI or VGA connect.

its possible its the component, I have tried the dvi to vga adapter then paid £50 for a 10m vga to component and couldn't get any signal to the PJ, I was then informed the DVI to vga to component is not possible, the 11ht only has component, s video. and composite, my 6600gt has twin DVi and the svideo(component)

So do I junk the PJ the card or both

I JUST WANT A SHARP CORRECTLY SIZED DESKTOP

Sorry, I'll worry about dvd pic quality later!

thanks
Nobber

That does change things, I didn't realise you hadn't got a vga connection on the projector.
I am away for a while so I can't check, but there is a tick box for force TV somewhere, but not sure what it does. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ken

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom