1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nvida vs radion

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Splice, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    after the recent returning of my lecson ps dvd player and reading a lot about hcpc, i thought i would try mine as i dont use it much these days for much else. now powerstrip says that only a handful of graphics cards are supported, so i was fairly suprised when i seemed able to resize the res and get my panny into wide 480 with no problem. the question i have for all you experts out there is will i gain further picture quality by upgrading to a radion 7200 say, going from my nvida tnt which must be close to 3 years old. to me the picture seems fine but when running video or sky through my pctv rage i do get a fair amount of stuttering. and does anyone know how i can tell if my graphics card is running video overlay because i'm sure it does not support this, i may be wrong. HELP!! lads, and of course lasses.

all the best........ Splice

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No help at all to your post mate.. sorry

But are you anywhere near me and ReTrO in High Wycombe?;)

Taz.:cool:

3. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure am, i'm in good old Aylesbury. well so say some!!

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: my boss lives in Aylesbury! :eek:

nice to have you on board.... welcome;)

Taz.:cool:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm running a TNT2 ultra card, and my image seems fine to me, but then I haven't tried the radeon... If you're happy with the image stick with it and buy some more beer, then you won't care.... The overlay biz is down to the PCTV software and whether it agrees with your graphics card, and also whether it will do it at the resolution and colour depth you're running. I have a Hauppge, so I can't help specifically, but in the Hauppage, and also a Pinnacle I have got in my kid's PC, there is just a check box to try overlay, and it will either work or not, very obviously. If your card doesn't support it the box will be greyed out. You've got to hunt through the setup and options to find it though. Good luck.

Martin.

Just moved my biz. out of H.Wycombe, unaware as I was that it's the centre of the universe!

PS stuttering may be caused by insufficient card grunt, so to speak! Cured by lowering resolution/colour depth. Mine's well strange at 1024x768 and 32bit!

6. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice Martin, i have checked and it appears that my card does not support overlay, so i guess i will have to buy the radion 7200 or 7500 and go from there. Thanks again mate.

All the best...... Splice.;)

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just before you upgrade, check your drivers for both tv and graphics are latest available. Don't know the make of your card, but NVidia drivers work well, but often do not have all the features incorporated by the card maker. Upgrades of tv card drivers can make useful improvements, worth a try to save £120

Martin

8. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Martin, I will give that a go, i'm all for saving dosh. Thanks again mate.

All the best...... Splice :D