Nvida 7 series or 8 Seris for HTPC

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Daz CPFC, May 1, 2007.

1. Daz CPFC

Daz CPFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

I started a thread a while ago about the 7600GS vs the GT version. However i never actually got round to getting a card due to having to sort other things now the 8xxx series have been launched.

I was wondering as ive heard that the 8500GT card is a very good performer for a HTPC machine (not gaming which im not into). Which can be picked up here on ebyer for around £50 quid delivered (using google checkout).

So im just wondering if it would be better to go for one of these instead?

2. talas

talas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    yep had my 8500 gt for a week now...great playback of all file types inc h264 720p/1080p on vista..if your an xp user..purevideo 2 is not enabled propely yet(JUNE) but my friend has a sparkle 8500 gt which plays all files great except 1080p h264 files,im sure thatll be fixed with update in june.

p.s make sure you get a hdcp enabled card as some of the 8500gt/8600 gt/gs arnt..sparkles are...

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product.asp?id=62

:thumbsup:

3. ellipr97

ellipr97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I suggest waiting just a bit longer with your choice, the 8600-cards are doing quite good job, their h.264 decoding capabilities are great, but it shouldn't be match even for the lowest of AMD/ATI HD2x00 series.
    At least in it's current form, 8600's don't support full hardware decoding of VC-1 properly, HD2k-series does, and even for h.264, it should do all the decoding phases on the UVD of the GPU, while 8600's leave 1 of 8 phases (IIRC) for the CPU.
    While many of you talk how your computer handles 1080p etc fine, there's a slight difference there, take for example Apple h.264 trailers, they are indeed 1080p, but for example the Pirates of the Caribbean 3's trailers bitrate is bit under 10Mbps, that's for audio and video combined too, while BluRay movies use up to 40Mbps for video only, HDDVD's up to 29.xMbps for video only, that's a huge difference. 8600 owners and future HD2k-series owners are in a lot better position here compared to for example 8800 users

Also, to make them even better for HTPC's, HD2k-series supports audio too, the audio capabilities are at the moment unknown, only known things are that it supports 5.1 audio, DTS/DD etc etc, but EAX and such are still unknown, but for movies it should be perfect.
    The current cards with HDMI require you to have onboard audio or separate sound card, where from you put a SPDIF to your video card which then combines it with the image for the HDMI, HD2k-series doesn't need those, it does all on it's own without extra cables.

4. Daz CPFC

Daz CPFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    How quick will the cards drop in price as they are nearly double what the sparkle 8500GT card is currently available for at eBuyer. If its not double as good i dont think i could justify buying it. Ive heard that the 8500GT is very easy going on your CPU when playing H264 files where the 7600GS/GT aren't as good and require more CPU power.

5. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The VC1 thing is a (temporary) software bug with PDVD - if you use WinDVD it doesn't happen.

As for h264: you'll be at <10% average CPU on any modern dual core, so it hardly matters :) One site ran a test with a 8500GT and a Sempron single core 1.6ghz, and it was at 15%.

The ATI models sound nice on paper, but who knows how well they'll actually work? Improvement on VC1 isn't really an issue with any dualcore (I'm at 20% CPU with a 3ghz C2D and 7300GT for example). We also don't know how well they'll match up to the 8500/8600 models' really, really excellent scaling of DVDs (superior to ffdshow, and I'm a real ffdshow addict).

6. Daz CPFC

Daz CPFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    So any cards you can recommened me?

Im really a newbie when it comes to graphics cards. Anything else on PC's im fine with but never got into graphics cards :)

Would really like to get one ordered in the next day or so, so any help is rally appricated :smashin: